Desperate Newcastle owner Ashley heads to Gulf to offload crisis-torn club

Jimbo

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley last night flew into Abu Dhabi as he stepped up his desperate bid to sell the crisis-torn club.

The billionaire businessman joined directors Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez in Dubai over the weekend to make contact with Dubai International Capital (DIC), who have pulled out of a takeover of Liverpool after more than a year of negotiations.

But yesterday he moved on to Abu Dhabi, home of ADUG, the group who pulled off the £200million takeover of Manchester City last month. Ashley and his directors have made contact with powerbrokers in that deal in an attempt to secure interested parties.

Empty seats: Newcastle owner Mike Ashley and director of football Dennis Wise missed Saturday's defeat to Hull

Ashley is looking for a quick sale after announcing his desire to find new owners following protests by furious supporters before, during and after the 2-1 home defeat to Hull City on Saturday.

But he has been warned by fans he still faces continual demonstrations at matches, despite his heart-felt statement on Sunday night.

In a joint statement, fanzine editors Mark Jensen and Mick Martin warned: ‘The situation has not altered with Mike Ashley telling us something we already knew, that he wants to sell Newcastle United. The protests at the running of the club need to continue.’

Sheikh Mohammed’s DIC group are desperate to invest in a Barclays Premier League club and are one of a number of options for Ashley, who revealed he has ploughed more than £250million into Newcastle. The once reclusive businessman will be looking to recoup that money.

Ashley and his directors will be encouraged by the unexpected announcement from a DIC spokesman yesterday which stated talks with Liverpool had fallen through ‘nor is DIC or any other Dubai based party aware of any consortium or vehicle involved in a bid.’

Sports shop tycoon Ashley has already held talks with a number of groups over new financing for the club.

Mike Ashley

Hard times: Mike Ashley wants to find a buyer for Newcastle

Reliance Communications, fronted by multi-billionaire Indian businessman Anil Ambani, last week distanced themselves from a takeover, but that was before Ashley announced his intention to sell. Ambani is continuing to monitor events at St James’ Park.

Singapore-based Profitable Group were linked with a buyout during the summer, but the group, fronted by former Liverpool and England player Steve McMahon, denied claims they were prepared to launch a bid.

Another option could be a consortium of local businessmen, led by former chairman Freddy Shepherd, but they would also require serious investment from abroad.

Shepherd was in talks with Finnish billionaire Poju Zabludowicz, whose wife Anita is a Geordie, before selling his shares to Ashley 18 months ago.

Although he has denied plotting a full-scale sale of the club for several months, Ashley did not hide his desire to find new investors during the summer. But months spent hawking the club around the Middle East and the United States failed to attract new business.

The uncertainty surrounding the club has cast doubt on the identity of Kevin Keegan’s successor as manager. Gus Poyet, the Tottenham No 2, has turned the vacancy down, leaving Ashley to retain caretaker Chris Hughton for now.

Shepherd, meanwhile, has dismissed Ashley’s claims that the club might have folded without the takeover in 2007.

The former Newcastle chairman said: ‘It’s absolutely ridiculous. The club was in good shape. We didn’t have any problems when I left.’

Why would Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez want to see the club that pays their wages sold?

If they're happy to be shown the door, why don't we show them the door?

They aren't going to resign or be shown the door by Ashley. It's win-win for them (from a financial point of view).

Another thing btw: I can't believe these meetings are set-up with these people overnight, at the drop of the hat, as it were. Seems to me like they were arranged a while ago. They might have been brought forward a bit. They rely of these parties being interested as well. I bet he's not fucking depserate enough to sell without making a tidy profit either.

Why would Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez want to see the club that pays their wages sold?

They aren't going to resign or be shown the door by Ashley. It's win-win for them (from a financial point of view).

Self interest?

:ph34r:

;)

Self interest?

:ph34r:

;)

I know, I'm a tad cynical.

Another thing btw: I can't believe these meetings are set-up with these people overnight, at the drop of the hat, as it were. Seems to me like they were arranged a while ago. They might have been brought forward a bit. They rely of these parties being interested as well. I bet he's not fucking depserate enough to sell without making a tidy profit either.

I actually don't believe these meetings are happening full stop. More 'paper talk.

I actually don't believe these meetings are happening full stop. More 'paper talk.

shit journalism, propaganda, delete as applicable.

It's bullshit whichever way you look at it. If they are happening it's not something which has just happened because a 'desperate' Ashley wants to sell now and is hawking the club around looking for anyone who'll buy the club. If the meetings aren't happening, well...it's like you say. It doesn't ring true the way it's being portrayed in any case.

How deep does the rabbit hole go? :ph34r:

Meet me in the multi-story carpark at 3 tomorrow morning. I'll be in the shadows smoking a Woodbine. I'll tell all.

Meet me in the multi-story carpark at 3 tomorrow morning. I'll be in the shadows smoking a Woodbine. I'll tell all.

Sorry, Li3nzy isn't here anymore...

Dunno what Meenzer's been telling you...

but I don't like smokers

;)