Recommend me some Podcasts

Ayatollah Hermione

I can't find that bit anywhere but it sounds funny!

Jeff Garlin off Curb has a newish podcast called By The Way. Recorded in front of a live audience, which is a bit annoying, but the first episode was Larry David and he's since had Will Ferrell and Zach Galifanaikis or whatever his name is on.

Canny if you like that sort of thing.

Cheers to SLP for the Nerdist recommendation. I'm cherry picking from the back catalogue. Not sure I could listen every week, but some good people on there.

That Garlin one is great.

I listen to Nerdist a bit due to the great guests, but as with WTFPod, Hardwick gets on my tits.

Aye I had the same conversation with Williams this morning. He's just downloaded a load of wtf and I was saying Maron is a tool. I'd say the same for the Nerdist bloke too, but the quality of the guests is great.

Anyone still listening to Joe Rogan? I enjoyed it a bit a year or so ago. After about 5 episodes though it's all the same, Rogan stoned off his tits talking about aliens for 3 hours.

:lol: Again I've had the same chat with Williams. I used to listen to it all the time, but Rogan started to believe he was some sort of amateur scientist, and applying "it's totally possible" to the start of some ridiculous sentences.

"It's totally possible that aliens put that thing at the bottom of the sea"

The worst is when their guest shows up late and it's just him and Redban stoned and talking absolute crap.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Installed BeyondPod for my HTC One yesterday and it's a cracking podcast app.

At the moment though I only listen to a couple of sport related podcasts religiously but fancy branching out a bit. What are people listening to at the moment?

Kermode - film reviews. Even though I don't watch films anymore, it's still good. Couple of hours a week.

NPR All songs Considered - They cover world, folk, classic, latin, electronic, rap, rock, indie, alt...everything. Their weekly music review is great for new releases, but hey come into their own when sxsw roles around, they stream dozens of live shows in their entirity. Half an hour a week.

Common Sense with Dan Carlin - Independent news commentary that ignores party politics. About an hour a week. He does hardcore history too which looks at everything from Ghengis Khan through the Romans to WW2. Less regular, you might get one topic every few months, but he does hours and hours on a topic when he does it. Like a free audiobook.

Danny Baker - The best football podcast because it's not about football. The sausage sandwich game is sooo played out by now though.

Real Time with Bill Maher - a more party political show. Supposedly HBO's impartial news/comedy show, Maher is making me more annoyed every week with his dedication to the dear leader. He donated a million to the cause but still claims impartiality. I still listen for the odd occasion when they have someone on to talk the truth, like Glenn Greenwald or that Black Dude with the crazy hair and teeth.

Tell em Steve Dave - I stopped listening to Kevin Smith ages ago, but his buddy Walt Flanagan is probably my favourite podcaster. Advise listening from the start because I imagine the in jokes and references are nonsensical to a newbie.

I listen to:

Bill Burr

Frank Skinner

This American Life (often get ten minutes into this and pack in but every now and again you get a really good one)

The Eurosport Cycling podcast (formerly Velocast)

The Champs - very funny. Worked my way through the full back catalogue.

That's it. Tell Em Steve Dave I keep having marathons to catch up but don't listen to it weekly.

The above are my phone podcasts. The ones I listen to straight away when they come out.

There were more, but don't find the time regularly to listen to that many, so I also have my tablet podcasts which are for easy listening any time down the line, for an all day decorating job, or something. Basically consists of the radio 4 podcast library...in our time, desert island discs, More or Less...

never really listen to many podcasts but just seen James Richardson does a weekly football one for the guardian, and Marcotti has one called TheGame so going to throw them on in the car to give them a go

The Guardian one is good but Glendenning can be a bit of a tit and more often than not it does come across a bit smug.

World Football Phone In would be the one I'd recommend you to listen to most. :up:

By The Way, In Conversation with Jeff Garlin

(stand-up comic/the agent in Curb Your Enthusiasm)

He has an unreal guest list, and it's recorded in front of an audience.

http://www.earwolf.com/show/by-the-way-in-conversation-with-jeff-garlin/

A few guests : Vince Gilligan(Breaking Bad creator), Amy Poehler, Aziz Ansari, Matthew Weiner(Mad Men creator), Zach Galfianakis, Will Ferrell, Larry David, Mitch Hurwitz(Arrested Development creator)

Another vote for Frank Skinner here. I tend to save them for long runs though which annoyingly means I've had to stop listening to Absolute Radio 90s on a Saturday morning while I'm getting ready. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLh2YuBwG7c

The year was 2007, and nobody saw the economic crisis coming, except one podcast, this is a short clip I made using pictures from the internet, if you are interested go ahead and listen to the whole show and also check out the other episodes, is an awesome show!

Download them at itunes or www.dancarlin.com

I've actually started on the Melvyn Bragg In Our Time History series from the start. I'll be about 60 by the time I've finished like.

Actually got a subscription to Hardcore History on Podbean as well. (Podbean is a game changer btw for anybody on Android.)

never really listen to many podcasts but just seen James Richardson does a weekly football one for the guardian, and Marcotti has one called TheGame so going to throw them on in the car to give them a go

I gave the Marcotti a listen to for the first time this week and thought it was abysmal.