Recommend me some Podcasts

Ayatollah Hermione

Not a podcast but a blog with audio.

A few of you may have caught on to my disdain for contemporary Nick Cave, actually any Nick Cave post 1986 but I will give Grinderman a pass because at least he was trying, anyway my pity for Nick is only topped by my complete loathing of Steve Kilbey from the Church. But I've always rated Marty Wilson-Piper from the same band and he has a daily blog about music. There is obviously a lot of hippy rubbish but there are other, interesting things too.

https://www.indeepmusicarchive.net/

Fucking hell @sammynb are you implying he sold out after the Birthday Party?

Big Jesus Trash Can took a really long time to grow on me. It was even harder work than most Cardiacs stuff tbh. I'll agree that Cave has got far less adventurous as the years went on but 86 seems a weird cut off date (though I'll concede I'm not hugely well versed in his output).

Just now, Blastronaut said:

Fucking hell @sammynb are you implying he sold out after the Birthday Party?

Big Jesus Trash Can took a really long time to grow on me. It was even harder work than most Cardiacs stuff tbh. I'll agree that Cave has got far less adventurous as the years went on but 86 seems a weird cut off date (though I'll concede I'm not hugely well versed in his output).

Not sold out as such but once he was off the gear it all turned to shite. Last decent album was Tender Prey, which was actually 1988 but even some of that is just bang average.

The Birthday Party stuff is my fave, Mutiny is just brilliant in your face, angry at the world and all the lies that religion and politics bring, punk.

To me Nick is summed up in his muses, Birthday Party it was Roland S Howard who's music I rate highly. He was also the calm that churned Nick's anger/hate and that made for great music.

Then early Bad Seeds Hugo Race, from The Wreckery another great band from Melbourne if you have heard them, took over the RSH role and although he wasn't as good he still had a darkness about him. Also Barry Adamson was still playing bass for them at that stage and Blixa was only a bit player.

Then by Tender Prey Blixa Bargeld had become Nick's latest muse and Nick starts moving to more of his ballad type rubbish - remembering Blixa had Einsturzende Neubauten as his outlet for noise and mayhem. And so now Nick is drowning in the Ship song and doing duets with Kylie, bore-fucking-ing.

Then Blixa moves on and is replaced by Warren Ellis, the mad violinist from the Dirty Three and again his new muse has another outlet for mayhem outside of the Bad Seeds plus by this time Nick is a tea totalling, got to get up for my morning constitutionals at 5am middle aged man, he's now just a caricature of the singer from The Birthday Party, singing about God and shit. But he's popular and middle aged formerly indie/alt women love him!

That's my unpopular opinion anyway!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 17/02/2023 at 17:53, spongebob toonpants said:

I am simultaneously horrified and intrigued by this 6 (six) hour podcast

I'm definitely going to be going in. Pray for me

Did you give it a go? I’ve listened to nothing else for 6 weeks :lol: 

23 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Did you give it a go? I’ve listened to nothing else for 6 weeks :lol: 

Started listening last night. It fucking nails it. I actually remember that episode. Seeing the Saints on Top of the Pops was sublime.

Didn't remember the rest of the dross we had to sit through to get to it. Kids today don't know they're born

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Started listening last night. It fucking nails it. I actually remember that episode. Seeing the Saints on Top of the Pops was sublime.

Didn't remember the rest of the dross we had to sit through to get to it. Kids today don't know they're born

Yeah it’s good, there’s eventually 5 or so ex melody maker journos, two on every episode. Taylor Parkes is by far one of the darkest human beings I’ve ever come across, like an English Frankie Boyle with an eclectic record collection . He’s fuckin hilarious and I like the presenter Al Needham and his unapologetic Nottingham accent .

They’ve made me think differently about quite a few things like disco. It’s great in that a lot of the stuff they like is stuff I liked as a young kid eg earth wind and fire, the Jacksons, the bee gees Saturday night fever stuff, ABBA  etc but as you get older you move on and often consider it naff and kitsch. Two or three of them are musicians themselves and can explain why some of this stuff was wildly popular because musically it was very sophisticated, they can explain the nuts and bolts of it but also great performances, how hot pans people/legs and Co looked etc :good: 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Thought I would give Football Ramble another listen.  Lasted 5 minutes. It should be Tory Boys Ramble.

I tried the same thing a couple of weeks ago, fuck me, the extended advertisement at the beginning turned out to be the least annoying thing about TFR. Gone to the shitter and needs someone to flush what's left down the pan.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 09/04/2023 at 10:55, PaddockLad said:

Loved Stardust when I was a kid :lol: 

I’d also forgotten all about this belter that pops up in an episode about 1977… 

https://x.com/ChartMusicTOTP/status/1742458013905006619?s=20

New episode up, I'm up to episode 36. Its still fucking fantastic

That Simon Price lives in Brighton, next time i see him making an appearance somewhere I might turn up and give a Bummerdog shout out

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

https://x.com/ChartMusicTOTP/status/1742458013905006619?s=20

New episode up, I'm up to episode 36. Its still fucking fantastic

That Simon Price lives in Brighton, next time i see him making an appearance somewhere I might turn up and give a Bummerdog shout out

He runs an alternative 80s club night in Brighton…

https://www.komedia.co.uk/brighton/club/spellbound/

10 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Just listened to the latest Fighting Talk poddy. It had Danny Care on. Wow what a cunt. 

He’s an English rugby union player. I’m not sure what you were expecting ;) 

• Haha 1

Jeselnik and Rosenthal Vanity Project - A comedy podcast from the US that has covered both the seagull shagging and the food poisoning in the sea from our inbred neighbours a mere few weeks apart. 

I sent a request in to get them to talk about the story in Ashington about the lass who walked around the shops with the decapitated head of her mother in a bag for life but as of yet they've not responded.

22 hours ago, Dazzler said:

Jeselnik and Rosenthal Vanity Project - A comedy podcast from the US that has covered both the seagull shagging and the food poisoning in the sea from our inbred neighbours a mere few weeks apart. 

I sent a request in to get them to talk about the story in Ashington about the lass who walked around the shops with the decapitated head of her mother in a bag for life but as of yet they've not responded.

I hadn't heard of this. I wish I hadn't googled. Fucking hell.

32 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I hadn't heard of this. I wish I hadn't googled. Fucking hell.

The podcast or the incident in Ashington? :lol:

19 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

The podcast or the incident in Ashington? :lol:

Ashington is gruesome enough as it is, but this?

Deny Best Friend GIF by ABC Network

• Haha 3

On 09/01/2024 at 00:15, Dazzler said:

They're a bit more open in Mexico 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/mexico-homicide-teen-arrested-b2472342.html