Newcastle "a mess"

Barney

Gus Poyet insists Newcastle United is 'not the right place' to take his first steps into management in his own right.

The former Chelsea midfielder has previously been the assistant to Newcastle's executive director (football) Dennis Wise at Swindon Town and Leeds United.

Poyet is currently Juande Ramos' No.2 at Tottenham Hotspur, but had been the favourite to succeed Kevin Keegan at St James' Park.

He admitted last week that he is happy at Spurs and was not worrying about the speculation surrounding his future.

Not right time

The Uruguayan is good friends with Wise and Newcastle vice-president Tony Jimenez, but believes the Magpies are in a 'mess'.

"It's easy (to speculate) as Dennis is there and Tony Jimenez, who is my best friend in England, it's too easy," Poyet told Sky Sports.

"I think it's a little bit of a mess there at the moment, so it's not the right place for me.

"It's a great job and I would like to manage one day, but it's not the right time now."

The difference being Poyet was probably offered the job.

Could've been. What right-minded soul would take this job at present????

I seem to remember appointing a bloke whose previous team were bottom of the league at the time once before.

Thank god it doesn't look likely to happen this time.

The difference being Poyet was probably offered the job.

Could've been. What right-minded soul would take this job at present????

I seem to remember appointing a bloke whose previous team were bottom of the league at the time once before.

Thank god it doesn't look likely to happen this time.

Are you referring to Souness?? I don't think Blackburn were bottom at the time?? Not that it matters though.

The thing is, why would you take the job knowing that the club is up for sale and the new owners would want their own man in? Compensation might be handy though!!