Supporters Association

peasepud

Not long been back from the first meeting which I think went very well. Thanks to Mark and Martin from the Mag and True Faith for setting it up and to all involved.

Basically the overall view is that once and for all we need an association that will be recognised as speaking for the fans, one which will co-ordinate and develop any strategies for protest in bad times and the nicer things in life at other times (is that ever going to be the case though?)

The view of the meeting though was an official group that people (regardless of location, season ticket holder, how many away games they'd been to etc etc) would pay a small annual membership to be part of and this would form the basis of any funding required.

No doubt something official will be out in the very near future but I do know they are going to be looking for people with relevant skills, experience etc to take part so I think firstly it would be an idea to see what skills etc people could offer.

Is there an accountant in the house? :ph34r: Solicitor? does anyone run an offie where we can get cheap beer etc etc

Also, as an early indication, could you answer what your views are on paid membership? How much do you think is a sensible figure to be part of the association?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would join and pay a fee so long as all opinions were taken into account diplomatically and it's not simply going to be paying for a member ship pack whilst having little or no say in events.

OK, I went tonight, and it was a pretty good turnout considering the short notice, maybe 200-300 people.

There was a five-man panel:

Mark Jenson - Editor, The Mag

Malcolm Dix - Former member of The Magpie Group & Former NUFC Director (he fell out with Shepherd)

Michael Martin - Editor, True Faith

John Gibson - Sports Writer, Evening Chronicle

Colin Whittle - Writer, The Mag/True Faith & Former Save Our Seats Campaigner

Basically, it was about establishing a full on supporters club with a big membership, to stand up for NUFC supporters, but also with the aim of (at some point) working with the club.

Although its been brought about by recent/current events and anger toward Mike Ashley et al, it's not just intended as a reaction to this, it's intended to be a permanent fixture with a proper membership scheme, putting out communications and building relationships with other similar organisations at other clubs, with the media/press, with the club and perhaps producing supporters club merchandise, as an alternative to official club merchandise.

The supporters club wants to change the false perceptions that the media and other supporters have of us, because right now it seems they have a massively distorted and completely false picture of what we're like and what we want/expect (all the sh*t about us being deluded and having expectations). It was mentioned that the charvers desperate to be on telly and felt tip/badly spelt banners on bedsheet brigade don't help the perceptions.

They're basically looking for people to get involved at all levels, be it committee members organising stuff, or regular foot soldiers. The idea of creating localised branches from the borders down through Northumberland, across Tyneside and into County Durham - basically wherever there's demand - so that meetings/organisations can take place alongside general meetings.

It was pretty much the panel making their points and suggestions and then the mic went to the floor for comments/questions and it was really good to see a general concensus forming about what should happen with people putting forward their thoughts and ideas. There was a lot of talk about not letting it peter out and keeping the momentum up, and I made the point that we need to make sure we have a follow up meeting in a fortnight/ a month's time where we can reconvene with more concrete ideas/structures, and maybe have more people interested.

Obviously, The Mag and True Faith are well placed to spread the message and have resources to publicise and print stuff (at least initially anyway). Malcolm Dix, I think will be someone good to have on board with his knowledge, and John Gibson will also have some good contacts, both with the media and inside football as well. Something mentioned was getting ex NUFC players involved either properly or just supporting the course, and it was suggested that he might be able to get some of them on board.

At the end people left their contact details and we'll be hearing back about where we go from here.

I'm pretty sure that there will be a follow up to this, as it was the panel who took people's details.

Basically, there seems to be a genuine willingness to get something credible, sensible and lasting together.

I'm really enthusiastic about this now, and I'm really glad I went along.

Obviously things are still a bit vague, but should become a bit clearer when we're contacted regarding what happens next. I'll keep you updated when I hear anything, but right now things look really good and it looks like it's going to be something worth joining.

I think it's a good idea to have an organised group, so that the fans have a moderated and reasonable voice. Personally I wouldn't pay to be a part of it because I think there are better men and women to speak on any and all matters Newcastle United and while I support the actions and the ideas I would be paying money to something I'd most likely never make use of.

I'd be happy to help in other ways though.

How would people put across their ideas without going to the meetings, for the fans in exile, the people who can't be arsed going (:ph34r:), etc?

I suppose we could put our points and questions to people who were going. I'd have no prob with that.

I think it's a good idea to have an organised group, so that the fans have a moderated and reasonable voice. Personally I wouldn't pay to be a part of it because I think there are better men and women to speak on any and all matters Newcastle United and while I support the actions and the ideas I would be paying money to something I'd most likely never make use of.

That's all well and good fishy and very magnanamous of you...But we need your fucking money!! ;):ph34r:

How would people put across their ideas without going to the meetings, for the fans in exile, the people who can't be arsed going (:ph34r:), etc?

I suppose we could put our points and questions to people who were going. I'd have no prob with that.

Suppose, can change my answer to a yes now btw, answered before reading the post. ;)

Better than who? the people who would be putting forward the views etc haven't even been "elected" yet. If you mean better than the likes of me then I totally agree, theres no way that I would even be putting myself forward for anything that involved facing the world and talking about the toon. :ph34r:

someone suggested having local branches, which would/could accomodate the views of exiled fans.

I dont know but Ive heard theres this interweb thingy that lets people communicate across vast distances easily ;)

seriously though, no decisions have been made or even looked at, its merely the fact that this club does not have anything like this and it shows when the shit hits the fan, like it has recently.

someone suggested having local branches, which would/could accomodate the views of exiled fans.

Finally, someone else that was there.

You arent a student of Performing Arts though are you? ;)

Mate you don't want a local branch in Hamburg, the next thing you know tank divisions will be firing up and whatnot. ;)

I have to admit that I am fully behind this in a totally non particapatory (doubt that's a real word of if it is that I've spelt it right) way.

I might pay to be a member or contribute to specific causes in the future but I really couldn't see myself getting involved in meetings.

Full respect to those who do though and it would be great to see a sensible presence in the press instead of the charvas that they seem to go out of their way to find at the moment (more on tonight in relation to the new sales stories in what didn't appear to be the city centre).

Finally, someone else that was there.

You arent a student of Performing Arts though are you? ;)

No, I was sitting near him though.

I was the lad who basically echoed John Gibson's point that we can't let this just fade out and that we need to follow it up with regular meetings.

I have to admit that I am fully behind this in a totally non particapatory (doubt that's a real word of if it is that I've spelt it right) way.

I might pay to be a member or contribute to specific causes in the future but I really couldn't see myself getting involved in meetings.

Full respect to those who do though and it would be great to see a sensible presence in the press instead of the charvas that they seem to go out of their way to find at the moment (more on tonight in relation to the new sales stories in what didn't appear to be the city centre).

Thats fine though, maybe I didnt make myself clear in the first post and that might explain Fish's answer.

What they are talking about is having 50, 60, 100, 250k NUFC supporters worldwide who pay a small annual fee (£5 was mentioned as the sort of figure) to be recognised as a supporter, giving them some rights to put their points forward, take part in meetings if they want but more importantly their subs would pay towards running the thing (nobody however would be paid anything to take an active role) and allow a voice to be heard. The association would be recognised by the media and ensure that the only statements that hold any credence are theirs. No radgees from Walker or wannabe gangsters who proclaim themselves the "voice of the fans".

Edit: Oh and more importantly you'd get a membership card :ph34r:

Better than who? the people who would be putting forward the views etc haven't even been "elected" yet. If you mean better than the likes of me then I totally agree, theres no way that I would even be putting myself forward for anything that involved facing the world and talking about the toon. :ph34r:

Hey I'd be happy to contribute to an S.A. financially, but it'd be donations and not my voice. I meant there are people who have more knowledge about 1)the wants and desires of the average fan, 2) the way to bring those things to fruition and 3) football in general.

Tom's post mentions setting up a genuine structure of supporters clubs around the North East and the rest of the country. I would go further and set up an anamlagamation around the world. It will without question garner new supporters clubs in places we would never dream. Look at the nufcsingapore website, 2,000 members. If a club like Celtic can do it why can't we? We've always been a disorganised rabble. The nearest thing we've had to a permanent supporters club base, was the hut beside Bainbridges dock in the 80's and very early 90's (I miss that hut so so much used to get all me away travel and merchandise there). Sounds like there's a lot of good come from this meeting, once the supporters club has a true infrastructure, we can have a true voice, more channeled, more articulate and surely more representative of the fans, than fucking idiots being interviewed on SKY insisting Big Sam should be reappointed, and people judging geordies, by live TV shots of drunk bamps with cans in their hand shouting Keegan's fucked off.

This could be a fantastic thing for our future. We'd easily have 400,000 members in the North East if it's organised correctly, could be anything on a worldwide basis. Ten quid a man, there's a lot that could be done with it. Well done to John Gibson for once again showing his true allegiances, unlike the Crumple faced Consett croney. Maybe their should be a voted rep of this fan club? I take it Steve Wraith had nothing to do with this?