Owen

JawD

Have to say Ive been impressed with him of late. Despite all the shite thats gone on and the shite he has taken in the past (a lot from our fans), he seems to be digging in and each game busting a gut. Also read that its him that is trying to keep the players together and so on.

Makes it more of a fuck up that he'll prob walk for nothing or the club will snap someones hand off when they put an offer in for him in the winter.

I was once one of his detractors but he has thoroughly won me over. I still believe he'll be among the first to jump ship, but I appreciate his effort while he still wears the shirt.

Can't see a future for him at the club as long as we continue this way.

I was once one of his detractors but he has thoroughly won me over. I still believe he'll be among the first to jump ship, but I appreciate his effort while he still wears the shirt.

Can't see a future for him at the club as long as we continue this way.

I hold my hands up with that too.

He has been a class act over the last 12 months or so. Can't really blame him for leaving considering the shambles we have been in recent seasons and as a player who is a class act and having played for Real Madris deserves to be playing under better managers than the likes of Souness, Roeder and Fat Sam...

Shay spent half time on the pitch today - anybody know why?

Well apparently he went ballistic last week after hull game so im guessing he was soo pissed off with the gash that was before him he seen fit to stay out of the way?

Cant think of anything other because he's fit isnt he? Though early on he was tending his shoulder? I think?

Even if Keegan was still here and the whole fiasco hadn't happened I think we would have as much chance signing Diego as we would Owen signing a new contract. He didn't even really want to sign for us in the first place but we were his only option to get back to England, he was NEVER going to sign an extension here. I would be very glad to be proved wrong but unfortunately (for once) I don't think I will this time and its a little harsh to blame the board over it.

News of the world

LIVERPOOL and Everton are set to do battle for Michael Owen as his Newcastle career remains in serious doubt.

The Merseyside clubs both made tentative approaches for the striker during the summer and are ready to step up their interest.

Owen’s future on Tyneside is still shrouded in uncertainty with his contract now in its final year.

He has yet to commit himself to a new deal with Newcastle in a state of disarray after the exit of manager Kevin Keegan and with owner Mike Ashley seeking to sell the club.

Owen will be free to talk to other clubs during the January transfer window and will be available on a free transfer next summer if he lets his contract run down.

That will open the way for Liverpool and Everton to make their moves.

Either could snap him up for a knockdown fee of around £4million during the window or wait until the end of the season and get him for nothing.

There is a strong lobby of support within Anfield for their former striker to return and Owen would welcome the chance to return to his first club.

But Everton will provide serious opposition, having tried unsuccessfully to complete a deal on transfer deadline day.

I wouldn't hold it against any player if they felt it is time to move on come January (with the possible exception of Taylor). These guy's careers are finite. I would be very pissed off if I had to work for Mike Ashley and his cronies. Milner must be very relieved.

Even if Keegan was still here and the whole fiasco hadn't happened I think we would have as much chance signing Diego as we would Owen signing a new contract. He didn't even really want to sign for us in the first place but we were his only option to get back to England, he was NEVER going to sign an extension here. I would be very glad to be proved wrong but unfortunately (for once) I don't think I will this time and its a little harsh to blame the board over it.

I think he would, I don't think we would have been his first choice, but Keegan and a non-Wise and Co contract would have been enough.

Given Ashley's bizarre valuation of NUFC at £480m when it's worth £200m (by independent valuation) it probably stops making you wonder why we've lost so many players on contract details or because we wouldn't increase our fee a wee bit more.

As for Owen himself, when he's not been injured he has always been quality (even when he's not playing well or the team isn't he can still turn a game) and exceedingly professional. The way things are we won't get another player in his class (especially as Given will probably be through the door too) for a long, long time if ever.

Edited by Fop