Nigerians want Keegan

Jimbo

A NIGERIAN consortium of media moguls and oil barons want to buy Newcastle — and bring back Kevin Keegan as boss.

The eight-strong group are willing to pay more than £300million for the club and are eager to get down to talks with Toon owner Mike Ashley.

Ashley has been in the Middle East looking for buyers after accepting the supporters want him out. But the Nigerians represent a previously unexplored avenue.

The consortium has already lodged a bond of £200m with a respected lawyer so Newcastle can see the colour of their money.

Two months ago, they made a flying visit to the UK to watch the Geordies’ game at Manchester United and have been working on a buyout plan ever since.

Chris Nathaniel, who organised a high-profile visit by United star Rio Ferdinand to Nigeria in the summer, has been taken on as a consultant and insists the consortium are deadly serious about their proposition.

He said: “These people are not messing about. They are genuine, highly-regarded businessmen in Nigeria who want to make a deal happen.

“They will bring back Kevin Keegan immediately as manager and there will be £75m made available to buy players.

“The interest in the Premier League in Nigeria and the whole of Africa is huge and buying an English club is seen as the next big step for a football-mad country.

“We have made contact with people at Newcastle and let our interest be known but our group has not yet spoken to Mike Ashley himself.

“The ball is in Ashley’s court. The money is there and if he is determined to sell, these men will be round the table with him as soon as he gives the word.

“They realise how important Keegan’s presence is to the fans and they will be delighted to bring him back.”

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the £75m transfer kitty obviously looks appealing (as long it's not spread over 10 years) but as others have said the worry is that Nigeria isn't exactly the mecca for good business practice is a worry as is the fact that they are 'trying to come up with the money to buy us'. Ashley has the money no problem and he still couldn't afford to plough much into the team so where would the money come from these guys? Alough I do like that they're saying they're made up of oil barrons as that's clearly where the money is.

Well the £75m transfer kitty obviously looks appealing (as long it's not spread over 10 years) but as others have said the worry is that Nigeria isn't exactly the mecca for good business practice is a worry as is the fact that they are 'trying to come up with the money to buy us'. Ashley has the money no problem and he still couldn't afford to plough much into the team so where would the money come from these guys? Alough I do like that they're saying they're made up of oil barrons as that's clearly where the money is.

I doubt that's the reason. When you're a billionaire I'm sure you can get your hands on a few million if you really want to.

The Nigeria thing could work very well, although the email scam gags are already wearing thin. Just think how many lazy journos would sling that into their vacuous musings.

;)

The Nigeria thing could work very well, although the email scam gags are already wearing thin. Just think how many lazy journos would sling that into their vacuous musings.

;)

I think you mean "thingings", "gaggings" and "journalistings".

I can do work :nufc:

I doubt that's the reason. When you're a billionaire I'm sure you can get your hands on a few million if you really want to.

;)

Yeah well I'm sure it was a decision rather than an absolute financial necessity for him not to plough more in but I doubt he has the spare cash to provide a transfer kitty similar to Chelski or Citeh. Even to most very rich people £100m is a hell of a big chunk of their fortune and they are unlikely to want to just piss it away on a football club. If we are to ever compete in the current climate we need someone with more than what Ashley has and it just looks like these Nigerians are scratching around to come up with the purchase price so I can't see how they will have enough to carry on beyond that.

I can't imagine Keegan coming back ever.

I have no idea whether this Nigerian consortium would be any good but I doubt it would make any difference to Keegan, he has been messed about enough.

Great, a club bought with blood money and we'll now no doubt see Martins joined up front by Yakubu and Babayaro to come in and solve our LB problem...

Fuck why wouldn't we want Yakubu here? At least he's scoring goals!

Great, a club bought with blood money and we'll now no doubt see Martins joined up front by Yakubu and Babayaro to come in and solve our LB problem...

He's nee Shola though

He's nee Shola though

Oh shit, given Shola's Nigerian roots they could well offer him a 5 year deal to keep him at the club.

He's nee Shola though

Oh shit, given Shola's Nigerian roots they could well offer him a 5 year deal to keep him at the club.

I thought he had a Geordie girlfriend! ;)

Yup it needs to be done ASAP, Nigerian businessmen aren't the ideal solution though, not because of the more jokey issues, but because for political environment there.

I just don't want to see a rush job that ends up being even worse than the last owner in the long run (as Ashley as become).

I have no idea whether this Nigerian consortium would be any good but I doubt it would make any difference to Keegan, he has been messed about enough.

I think he's messed us about as much tbf. His timing was awful. I can understand why he left but that doesn't apply if someone comes in and gives him control. If he turned us down under those circumstances I'd be very disappointed in him and I think many others would too.

I think he's messed us about as much tbf. His timing was awful. I can understand why he left but that doesn't apply if someone comes in and gives him control. If he turned us down under those circumstances I'd be very disappointed in him and I think many others would too.

Keegan was messed about but I agree he also messed us about - all this about understanding the fans and the club and he fucks off.

I'm sure towards the end Ashley would have been desperate and they could have worked things out but Keegan was too proud.

Taye Taiwo, clearly.

I'm personally all for this takeover if it has legs simply because it'll at least bring an end to this current saga and we can battle against relegation. Again. ;)

I can fully understand why some people are sceptical, since Nigeria isn't exactly the home of sound business practice, but there are some very rich people in that country who may or may not be behind said takeover. It also provides us with a headstart on the rest of the competition, barring Man United and the likes, when it comes to breaking the African market. The 2010 WC isn't too far away and once that touches down I expect all of Africa to go completely football mental. Having owners from the continent can only make us more attractive to television and supporters.