Empire top 500 films ever

Happy Face

Readers, critics and talent have come up with a top 500.

If you want to go through them all...

http://www.empireonline.com/500/

Otherwise, here's the top 25

1. The Godfather

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark

3. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

4. The Shawshank Redemption

5. Jaws

6. GoodFellas

7. Apocalypse Now

8. Singin' In The Rain

9. Pulp Fiction

10. Fight Club

11. Raging Bull

12. The Apartment

13. Chinatown

14. Once Upon A Time In The West

15. The Dark Knight

16. 2001: A Space Odyssey

17. Taxi Driver

18. Casablanca

19. The Godfather Part II

20. Blade Runner

21. The Third Man

22. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

23. Back To The Future

24. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

25. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Edited by Happy Face

I don't think The Dark Knight should be at 15, The Good The Bad And The Ugly is infinately better than it for a start and thats 25.

Point in hiding the results? ;)

Oh I thought the topic would be discussing the results. Silly me.

the list is a complete joke. it's almost offensively bad.

rublev at 36 is good to see though.

It's time for a Sloop top ten like.

I reckon it could give Parky's list a run for its money in the pretension stakes.

:read:

I reckon it could give Parky's list a run for its money in the pretension stakes.

;)

I have to admit Andrei Rublev is one of the ones from the top 100 I've not seen.

Come And See

Harold And Maude

A Matter Of Life And Death

The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp

Spirit Of The Beehive

Evil Dead 2

Network

Are all on my to see list too.

Was very glad to see Paris Texas in the list although it should have been in the top ten. It certainly was in mine.

Btw I don't think people like Sloop should even read lists like this are they are always going to piss them off. The majority of people out there (even movie magazine readers) are going to enjoy films that appeal to broad section of society. Films made by blind lesbians from Poland just don't have that universal appeal.

;)

I have to admit Andrei Rublev is one of the ones from the top 100 I've not seen.

Come And See

Harold And Maude

A Matter Of Life And Death

The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp

Spirit Of The Beehive

Evil Dead 2

Network

Are all on my to see list too.

Not seen any of those apart from Network and Life & Death and I'm also missing 8 1/2, La Dolce Vita, Three Colours Red, Yojimbo and Spirit Of The Beehive.

Was very glad to see Paris Texas in the list although it should have been in the top ten. It certainly was in mine.

Btw I don't think people like Sloop should even read lists like this are they are always going to piss them off. The majority of people out there (even movie magazine readers) are going to enjoy films that appeal to broad section of society. Films made by blind lesbians from Poland just don't have that universal appeal.

I disagree. I think films that honestly question and explore the profound human issues; hopes, fears, dissapointments, dreams, belief; issues that everyone of our epoch fundamentally shares (such as Andrei Rublev and Ordet), are films that truly appeal to humanity in general and on a much wider scale than The Dark Knight or Blade Runner could ever fathom to do.

These films try to please their audiences with explosions, expensive set pieces, famous actors - but all it shows is that the filmmakers (the producers, director, cinematographer) have no respect for his audience because all they are doing by making such films is training the audience to insure their own income, not training them by giving them works of art that will inspire.

my Top 10 in no order;

Mirror [Andrei Tarkovsky]

Andrei Rublev [Andrei Tarkovsky]

The Sacrifice [Andrei Tarkovsky]

Ordet [Carl Theodor Dreyer]

Winter Light [ingmar Bergman]

The Trial Of Joan Of Arc [Robert Bresson]

Death In Venice [Luciano Visconti]

Mother & Son [Alexander Sokurov]

City Lights [Charles Chaplin]

The End Of Summer [Yasujiro Ozu]

I disagree. I think films that honestly question and explore the profound human issues; hopes, fears, dissapointments, dreams, belief; issues that everyone of our epoch fundamentally shares (such as Andrei Rublev and Ordet), are films that truly appeal to humanity in general and on a much wider scale than The Dark Knight or Blade Runner could ever fathom to do.

So why does no one watch them then?

Advertising. Exposure. Which has lead to a mindset that films (and this applies to music too) if not popular or reknown aren't worth bothering with. A generally popular view that 'new = better'. People accepting cinema as something that purely exists to entertain and judging films on these qualities. A distinct lack of British cinema culture. The ridiculous idea that foreign films are boring because they have subtitles. The materialistic bent of society and education which has lead to a culture that is obsessed with the fleeting and superficial...

I'm coming off badly in this thread aren't I?