Ketsbaia as long term manager?

TheMoog

Exclusive: Temuri Ketsbaia wants Newcastle job

By Richard Edwards, sundaymirror.co.uk 28/09/2008

Temuri Ketsbaia is a Champions League manager with Geordie connections who wants the Newcastle job.

But Ketsbaia has blasted Newcastle's decision to appoint an interim boss - branding the position "a suicide job".

The former St James' Park favourite is now managing Cypriot side Anorthosis Famagusta in this season's Champions League. Ketsbaia said: "This is no kind of solution to Newcastle's problems.

"There is no point in appointing someone in a temporary role, you can't just sit there waiting for something to happen in the future." No amount of money would have persuaded Ketsbaia that the position was worth taking on matchby-match basis.

"This kind of appointment is a suicide job," he said.

Ketsbaia spent three seasons at St James' Park after being signed by Kevin Keegan in the summer of 1997 and was a firm favourite with the long-suffering Geordie faithful. And it's those fans that he feels are being let down by the current regime.

He said: "Newcastle is a massive club and it's a real shame that they find - themselves in this situation.

"From what I had seen Keegan was doing a good job of turning the club around but what happened was no surprise to me.

"He walked out because he's the manager and it seemed that other people were going out and making the decisions that he should have been making.

"We are seeing more and more directors of football coming in and doing the job the manager should be doing.

"I had a great opportunity to play at Newcastle as a player, so why not as a manager?"

Would be worth it to see him leathering the hoardings again if the fourth official upset him :read:

Ketsbaia spent three seasons at St James' Park after being signed by Kevin Keegan in the summer of 1997 and was a firm favourite with the long-suffering Geordie faithful.

Spot the deliberate mistake.

I was thinking he was a Dalglish signing too.

Ketsbaia spent three seasons at St James' Park after being signed by Kevin Keegan in the summer of 1997 and was a firm favourite with the long-suffering Geordie faithful.

Spot the deliberate mistake.

I was thinking he was a Dalglish signing too.

Aye. A free from AEK, IIRC

Ketsbaia as manager? People are upset we have Kinnear as an Interim manager but at least he has experience in English football, getting Famagusta to the top of the Cypriot league is no great feat. Fair play to him to getting them into the champions league and beating Olympiakos in the qualifying round to get there but does that mean he's good enough? Not in the slightest!

I'd wouldn't mind seeing him come in and manager us in the near future. What he did with Famagusta (First Cypriot team to qualify for the Champions League and then get a draw against Weder Bremen) should not be underestimated. I'd much rather have him than Kinnear, Shearer, O'Bleart etc.

Ketsbaia as manager? People are upset we have Kinnear as an Interim manager but at least he has experience in English football, getting Famagusta to the top of the Cypriot league is no great feat. Fair play to him to getting them into the champions league and beating Olympiakos in the qualifying round to get there but does that mean he's good enough? Not in the slightest!

I refer you to your signature.

:read:

Anorthosis beat Panathinaikos 3-1. Who saw this coming? They're joint top of the group.

Admittedly they still must play Inter twice, but considering most said they wouldn't even get a point, credit has to go to Ketsbaia.

Park Life,your assignment, should you choose to accept it...