House share

paddy

I've done a fair bit of this and it's a double edge sword.

living with others can be great if you want a bit of company now and then, although clearly if you don't know who you're moving in with you are in the lap of the gods. Some people live vicariously through their housemates and others are party animals who never come down, most people, fortunately, are between the two.

Living with friends can be challenging, as can living in someone else's own house where you feel like an accessory rather than having equal rights. I strongly recommend you don't do the latter. Get somewhere where everyone is equal(ish)

People's habits can be awful, but if it looks and smells clean when you walk in you should be alright. Funnily enough living with females can really help in this area.

Make sure you get somewhere with a shared lounge, some particularly ruthless types forego this and turn it into another bedroom. You need neutral space that's not the kitchen.

Dunno if you're a smoker but I now find people smoking indoors really weird as it never happens anywhere else now.....worth considering either way.

Make sure decent arrangements are in place for housework, always the biggest gripe.

get a room at the top of the house to minimise disturbance.

make sure you find out all additional costs up front.

If anything else occurs to me I'll add.

oh and keep a knife under yer pillow, just in case. ;)

happy hunting mate.

I've done a fair bit of this and it's a double edge sword.

living with others can be great if you want a bit of company now and then, although clearly if you don't know who you're moving in with you are in the lap of the gods. Some people live vicariously through their housemates and others are party animals who never come down, most people, fortunately, are between the two.

Living with friends can be challenging, as can living in someone else's own house where you feel like an accessory rather than having equal rights. I strongly recommend you don't do the latter. Get somewhere where everyone is equal(ish)

People's habits can be awful, but if it looks and smells clean when you walk in you should be alright. Funnily enough living with females can really help in this area.

Make sure you get somewhere with a shared lounge, some particularly ruthless types forego this and turn it into another bedroom. You need neutral space that's not the kitchen.

Dunno if you're a smoker but I now find people smoking indoors really weird as it never happens anywhere else now.....worth considering either way.

Make sure decent arrangements are in place for housework, always the biggest gripe.

get a room at the top of the house to minimise disturbance.

make sure you find out all additional costs up front.

If anything else occurs to me I'll add.

oh and keep a knife under yer pillow, just in case. :yes

happy hunting mate.

;)

I've done it since moving to the UK and had some ups and downs. Like Mr Shy said, there are some ruthless landlords out there. I lived somewhere in Portsmouth where the bitch rented out the lounge as a bedroom three days after the rest of us moved in. She suckered us good and proper. Where I'm living now is ok, but it's with four other guys and we don't really have a lot in common. It's not nasty but we all live like it's a hotel and keep in our rooms and just share the facilities. But on the other hand I've lived in a few great places and made a lot of great friends by house sharing.

My advice, try and meet the people you're going to be living with. If they seem weird when first meeting them, or if they seem clingy, don't take it because it'll only get worse. If the landlord acts shady or you think he's covering something up they are and you're best moving on. Make sure you have a few different places lined up and don't let anyone pressure you into taking somewhere. See them all, take your time. Don't believe them when they say you need to hurry because x number of others are interested.

Good luck, and best of all you'll get some awesome stories out of it. I once lived with a guy that had thumping noises coming from his room at 2am for a week straight. When we went to question him we knocked on his door and he told us to wait a minute. Five full minutes later he answers wearing nothing but a towel and denied all knowledge of the sound of the apocalypse coming from his room every night for a week. And that's a tame story.

i went to see a room today FUCK ME!!! it was a 3 bed house with built in garage, the garage was a room (the one i was looking at!!) big fuck off hole in the ceiling and it stank! the site i found it one advertised it as an 'apartment style executive room' the sheets on the bed looked like something out of the skip and when i was leaving one of the inmates was peeking out of his window, FREAKTASTIC, needless to say i've kicked it into touch and had a hot bath when i got back! looking at a brand new furnished apartment tomorrow so the house share is dead

My first place in Germany was a multicoloured, multinational bastion of gay abandon in an otherwise straight-laced family neighbourhood. We used to worry the local parents by holding huge network parties and inviting all their kids. It was fun. ;)

Paddy don't write off house sharing on the strength of one shithole.... I came out of a 4 year (permanently together) relationship at the end of last year and sharing has probably saved me from some serious self abuse.

Of course, that's me like. Just saying.

just emailed a guy, same age as me, split up with his wife last year has 2 kids so same boat, he has room to let so fingers crossed eh.

Paddy I've got a mate who has a room available.

Two minute walk to the beach.

Just around the corner from the pub.

An old art deco block of unit filled with thirty something singles.

It is in Bondi, so if you want a change of scenery I can put in a word for you.

(Sorry mate I know you're hurting.)

just emailed a guy, same age as me, split up with his wife last year has 2 kids so same boat, he has room to let so fingers crossed eh.

Sounds alright, if you like kids

as long as he doesn't like kids too much

Sounds alright, if you like kids

as long as he doesn't like kids too much

6znhit.jpg

got to love the gif in your sig Jimbo

Aye, I was looking for a suitable thread to put it in but thought fuck it, thats for the sig.

:lol:

With regards to this thread, I like sharing a house as long as you're actually sharing it.

Had good house mates and bad, best advice is to shop around a lot.

got to love the gif in your sig Jimbo

Aye, I was looking for a suitable thread to put it in but thought fuck it, thats for the sig.

:lol:

Been mentioned before but me (and SLP for that matter) had an absolutely perfect view of that goal from more or less directly behind Shearer as he struck it.