Given

bawan

BUNGLING bank staff took their eye off the ball when they handed over personal details of one of the North’s top footballers to another customer.

An investigation has been launched after the embarrassing gaffe at Allied Irish Bank in Newcastle concerning Toon keeper Shay Given.

Newsagent Jacqueline Cooper went into the Collingwood Street branch to request a mini-statement and returned to her shop, City News, across the road to read it.

She said: “I didn’t look at it straight away, I put it in the drawer. But when I looked and saw the amount of money involved I thought, ‘There’s something wrong here! I was panicking till I noticed it was Shay Given’s name at the top and not mine.

“I told my husband Cliff, who’s a Newcastle United nut, and he couldn’t believe it either.”

When we contacted popular Magpies goalkeeper Given, he was naturally shocked to hear that his personal details had been leaked by his own bank.

However, he said he was unable to comment for legal reasons.”

Mum-of-two, Jacqueline, 41, who also runs a bed and breakfast in Falstone near Kielder Forest, Northumberland, told how she went into the bank on Thursday afternoon.

She said: “I went in and just asked for my last few transactions on my bank statement because my account customers sometimes pay by cheque and I wanted to check a bill had been paid.

Shay Given

“I think maybe Shay’s statement must have been left lying around on the printer and when they went to print mine out, they got mixed up. But I don’t really know what happened.” On Friday morning she contacted the football club to tell them she had a personal document belonging to one of their players but nobody returned her call.

Allied Irish has launched an investigation. When the Sunday Sun made contact a spokeswoman at the bank’s head office in Uxbridge, Middlesex, said: “Customer confidentiality means that we would never make any comment on our customers’ affairs. We are very concerned and are investigating your report.”

Jacqueline’s husband Cliff, 45, a lifelong Magpies fan, said, “I think it’s ridiculous and very shoddy. We have the Government losing discs containing personal details and now this. It’s worrying.”

Shay is unlikely to be worrying too much about the state of his bank balance, however. With his reputation for having “the safest hands in the game”, he’s reputed to be one of the highest paid players in British football.

The Republic of Ireland international who started out at Celtic joined Newcastle United from Blackburn Rovers in July 1997. He made his name during a loan spell at Sunderland in 1995-96 before then Toon manager Kenny Dalglish signed him.

In June 2006 in his hometown of Lifford, he was conferred with the Freedom of County Donegal.

In March last year he won his 80th international cap, equalling Packie Bonner’s record for Irish goalkeeper caps, and he now holds 85.

*tin hat on*

part of me wishes Shay would piss off to Arsenal or another top club, he is one player who deserves to win something in his career, why he has put up with the shite we have to offer is beyond me

We have far worse players in our team than Given, and we'd really struggle to replace him.

Best keeper in the premiership I.M.H.O[:yes

i know you've only got 9 posts under your belt

but already i can see you know your stuff ;)

9 posts but enough font to baptise the whole of Ireland.

We have far worse players in our team than Given, and we'd really struggle to replace him.

Best keeper in the premiership I.M.H.O[:rosetintspecs:

i know you've only got 9 posts under your belt

but already i can see you know your stuff ;)

9 posts but enough font to baptise the whole of Ireland.

:yes