Cooee Scottish Mag

Toonraider

..or any other peeps in Scotland.

We are driving from Torquay to a place called Auchtermuchty this weekend. Have to say I'd never heard that name before. Any of you know what its like around that way?

I'm not surprised you need a whole weekend ;)

We are driving from Torquay to a place called Auchtermuchty this weekend. Have to say I'd never heard that name before. Any of you know what its like around that way?

Yes :rosetintspecs:

Though hubby and son can share the driving. We'll probably stay overnight somewhere. Picking up a race car actually.....even taking into account the cost of the fuel, race cars are cheaper in Scotland I'm told! :yes

Though hubby and son can share the driving. We'll probably stay overnight somewhere. Picking up a race car actually.....even taking into account the cost of the fuel, race cars are cheaper in Scotland I'm told! :yes

emmm I assume you're stopping off in Toon at some stage?

emmm I assume you're stopping off in Toon at some stage?

Tbh the thought crossed my mind instantly :no Not sure if that will happen however, probably wont be able to leave Torquay till lunchtime Saturday.

You'll get to see the Forth Bridge.

Yesss ;) I'd decided not to bother going as its literally driving up and back with a few hours kip inbetween, but when I realised they would have to go over the Forth Bridge I've allbut changed my mind.

wear the fox hat.

Fife.

I know. There is pretty much nothing in Auchtermochty except maybe a decent Venison farm. It's only because it is on the way to St Andrews that I have been there.

To be honest there's nothing much to Auchtermuchty. Its claim to faim is that it provided the set for 'Doctor Findlay'.

I pass through it every so often on my way to visit my family in St Andrews (my home town). It's about 20 miles from there on the road up from Edinburgh. You might carry on to see St Andrews, quite a nice and picturesque town slightly over-run by posh students who were rejected by Oxford and Cambridge. As it happens, the Dunhill Links Champioship golf tournament is on in St Andrews this weekend, which involves professional and celebrity golfers playing together in teams. Check out the official website, but in the past I have met Catherine Zeta-Jones, Michael Douglas, Samuel L Jackson, Alan Hansen, Ruud Gullit to name a few at this event (it's on every year). Confirmed celebrities this year include Hugh Grant and Huey Lewis. It's never really all that busy since the weather tends to be a bit unpredictable. Galleries watching the golf aren't huge. If you go to St Andrews, don't miss Janetta's ice cream shop on South Street - 52 different flavours, my favourite ice-cream shop. Sky Blue is my favourite flavour.

Edinburgh is not bad for a stop-off, a few nice shops but it bores me after a few hours.

Let us know how your trip goes.

wear the fox hat.

Fife.

I know. There is pretty much nothing in Auchtermochty except maybe a decent Venison farm. It's only because it is on the way to St Andrews that I have been there.

To be honest there's nothing much to Auchtermuchty. Its claim to faim is that it provided the set for 'Doctor Findlay'.

I pass through it every so often on my way to visit my family in St Andrews (my home town). It's about 20 miles from there on the road up from Edinburgh. You might carry on to see St Andrews, quite a nice and picturesque town slightly over-run by posh students who were rejected by Oxford and Cambridge. As it happens, the Dunhill Links Champioship golf tournament is on in St Andrews this weekend, which involves professional and celebrity golfers playing together in teams. Check out the official website, but in the past I have met Catherine Zeta-Jones, Michael Douglas, Samuel L Jackson, Alan Hansen, Ruud Gullit to name a few at this event (it's on every year). Confirmed celebrities this year include Hugh Grant and Huey Lewis. It's never really all that busy since the weather tends to be a bit unpredictable. Galleries watching the golf aren't huge. If you go to St Andrews, don't miss Janetta's ice cream shop on South Street - 52 different flavours, my favourite ice-cream shop. Sky Blue is my favourite flavour.

Edinburgh is not bad for a stop-off, a few nice shops but it bores me after a few hours.

Let us know how your trip goes.

I studied at St.As, we weren't all posh although the majority were. I can remember playing for the Uni against Auchtermuchty Bellvue FC, they were rough as you like.

I think I spotted some canny buildings there too, but that could have been anything.

Glasgow's much nicer and friendlier. FACT.

Thats what our mate says! (He's from Glasgow)

Thanks very much for the info GM. Very interesting.

As it turns out I wont be going now, mainly cos I'm a big girl's blouse and whilst they are up there hubby and son going to watch the racing at Cowdenbeath raceway on the Saturday night as they are so close to it. I just dont fancy it, cold and tired standing there all night shivering my tits off! :) Also I am looking after my neighbour's cats whilst they are in Italy, (Catmag will approve) :nufc: so it all became too complicated for me to go too.

I'm sorry I wont see the Forth Bridge though. As it turns out there's a chap Hubby makes race parts for who happened to ring him today to post some parts up to him, further discussion revealed he lives 3 miles from Auchtermuchty, so they have been invited to go watch the racing with them and stay at his place overnight

! What a small world.

I will also be sorry to miss the ice-cream shop, as I bet they have turkish delight flavour. But I will mention it to hubby as he is a big ice-cream fan!! :lol:

I think I spotted some canny buildings there too, but that could have been anything.

As it turns out I wont be going now, mainly cos I'm a big girl's blouse and whilst they are up there hubby and son going to watch the racing at Cowdenbeath raceway on the Saturday night as they are so close to it. I just dont fancy it, cold and tired standing there all night shivering my tits off! :) Also I am looking after my neighbour's cats whilst they are in Italy, (Catmag will approve) :nufc: so it all became too complicated for me to go too.

I'm sorry I wont see the Forth Bridge though. As it turns out there's a chap Hubby makes race parts for who happened to ring him today to post some parts up to him, further discussion revealed he lives 3 miles from Auchtermuchty, so they have been invited to go watch the racing with them and stay at his place overnight

! What a small world.

I will also be sorry to miss the ice-cream shop, as I bet they have turkish delight flavour. But I will mention it to hubby as he is a big ice-cream fan!! :lol:

Yes they have Turkish Delight flavour ice-cream. And Irn Bru sorbet - the only place I have ever come across this! Oh well, your loss...!

As it turns out I wont be going now, mainly cos I'm a big girl's blouse and whilst they are up there hubby and son going to watch the racing at Cowdenbeath raceway on the Saturday night as they are so close to it. I just dont fancy it, cold and tired standing there all night shivering my tits off! :nufc: Also I am looking after my neighbour's cats whilst they are in Italy, (Catmag will approve) :) so it all became too complicated for me to go too.

! What a small world.

I will also be sorry to miss the ice-cream shop, as I bet they have turkish delight flavour. But I will mention it to hubby as he is a big ice-cream fan!! :)

Yes they have Turkish Delight flavour ice-cream. And Irn Bru sorbet - the only place I have ever come across this! Oh well, your loss...!

I've never seen or heard of that before! :lol: Damn it all, I love Irn Bru aswell :scratchchin: