Kinnear confronts his critics head on

Jimbo

Black and white may be the colours, but surrealism remains the theme at St James’ Park, where events grow more bemusing as the nights grow longer. On the day that reports that a South African consortium was on Tyneside after bidding £300 million to buy Newcastle United were denied, Joe Kinnear made a belligerent and expletive-strewn attempt to reclaim his authority as the club’s interim manager.

Having started in his role officially on Monday, Kinnear stated yesterday lunchtime that his first pre-match press conference would also be his last. At issue was the media coverage that had greeted his appointment last Friday — and which reflected the underwhelmed response of the club’s supporters — although as an illustration of the mood of paranoia that infiltrates the club’s hierarchy it was instructive.

In one regard the 61-year-old had a point; passing judgment on him is premature, given that the match away to Everton on Sunday will be his first in charge. And yet the wider context is damning; whether he likes it or not, Kinnear is the public face of Mike Ashley’s regime at a club who are up for sale, who have a paper-thin squad and a team who are next to bottom of the Barclays Premier League and whose fans are in revolt.

It has taken a week for Newcastle to concede that Kinnear’s contract does not come to an end on October 31, as had been claimed, but will instead become a “rolling” arrangement from the beginning of November. “I will be taking in as many international matches as I can, so that I will have a hitlist of players if I am still here in January,” Kinnear said yesterday on a very different scenario.

Related Links

There have been other confusions, including the two-match touchline suspension that followed Kinnear from his ill-fated spell at Nottingham Forest in 2004 and which he admitted he had not mentioned to Ashley. His intimation that the owner had informed him that Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer were lined up for management positions once a takeover was finalised was denied by Shearer.

Kinnear took exception to reports that queried the logic of Newcastle’s first-team players having Monday off. In the first five minutes of his comments to written journalists, he employed 50 expletives, describing reporters as “c***s” and “so f***ing slimy”, but his threat to curtail media operations at a club who have been crippled by a lack of communication would appear questionable.

“I will stand up and fight for myself in any corner,” he said. “You’re not going to f*** me off or frighten me in any manner. Whatever you do, or whatever headlines you run, you’re not going to embarrass me. I’m not going to stand for it. I’ve come up here for a simple chance to f***ing prove myself. Get off my back and let me get on with my job. That’s all I ask. F***ing hell.”

In a calmer moment, Kinnear, the former Wimbledon manager, said that he is attempting to create “a siege mentality” among his players. “I sense the confidence is at the lowest it’s ever been,” he said. “Normally I’m used to dressing-rooms that are on fire.”

There was also an unwitting, implied criticism of the club’s transfer policy. “I think the number of languages spoken in the changing-room could be a reason,” he said.

“We’ve got to address that.”

Locally, it has been reported that a group of British-based South African businessmen are on Tyneside to press home their interest in buying Newcastle, although that has been denied by a source close to Seymour Pierce, the company that has been charged with handling the sale of the club. The source said that, while a South African investment bank had made contact regarding Newcastle, no bid has been received and no negotiations have taken place with Jonathan Cleland, the businessman reputed to be leading the consortium.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have total respect for Joe. Good player and all round good bloke.

Applied for the Spurs job when we got francis IIRC.

shame its ended like this for him.

Edited by Danny B

Kinnear took exception to reports that queried the logic of Newcastle’s first-team players having Monday off. In the first five minutes of his comments to written journalists, he employed 50 expletives, describing reporters as “c***s” and “so f***ing slimy”, but his threat to curtail media operations at a club who have been crippled by a lack of communication would appear questionable.

Anyone else picture Father Jack while reading that?

he said. “Normally I’m used to dressing-rooms that are on fire.”

Bloody Vinny was never careful where he left his fag ends :lol:

This sort of rage can't be good for the ol' ticker, surely! Kinnear will be the first manager in recent NUFC history who didn't get the sack but instead died in front of the cameras in an interview...

Edited by newcastlebootboy

It has taken a week for Newcastle to concede that Kinnear’s contract does not come to an end on October 31, as had been claimed, but will instead become a “rolling” arrangement from the beginning of November. “I will be taking in as many international matches as I can, so that I will have a hitlist of players if I am still here in January,” Kinnear said yesterday on a very different scenario.

This is the worrying bit.

The interview is hilarious but I very much doubt Joe will be having the last laugh. If they didn't have their knives out for him already (and of course they did) they certainly will be sharpening them now. He's still stuck in the 90s, I think.

That Bird character sounds like a right prick. Telling him he should have had his meeting on the Saturday or Sunday. The fucking cheeky little bastard. Good for Kinnear I say, why the fuck should he smile sweetly and talk to these arseholes after the coverage he's been getting.

JK: Write what you like. Makes no difference to me. Don’t effect me I assure you. It’ll be the last time I see you anyway. Won’t effect me. See how we go at Everton and Chrissy can do it, someone else can do it. Don’t trust any of you’s. I will pick two local papers and speak to them and the rest can f*** off. I ain’t coming up here to have the **** taken out of me. I have a million pages of **** that has been written about me. I am ridiculed for no reason. I am defenseless. I can’t say nothing. I can’t do nothing. Then half of you are trying to get into the players... and I am not going to tell you what the players think of you all. So you will think I have a split camp. It just doesn’t stop.

It's nice for someone to come out and be so unprofessional about the entire situation - because sadly that's what it requires. The club have been hounded by the media for years and a lot of shite has been written - some fabricated - some with slight truth but with the overall aim of having a dig at the club.

Hopefully Kinnear can put his money where his mouth is and pick up some points.

In a calmer moment, Kinnear, the former Wimbledon manager, said that he is attempting to create “a siege mentality” among his players. “I sense the confidence is at the lowest it’s ever been,” he said. “Normally I’m used to dressing-rooms that are on fire.”

Most important part of that piece for me. The players have looked like scared little lambs out on the pitch, and while I sympathise with their situation, they have to take some flak for the gutless performances.

If Kinnear has them all fired up and ready to go out and go through the opposition and stick their middle fingers up at the rest of the nation, then bring it the f**k-on.

:lol:

JK: I’m not going to tell you anything. I don’t understand where you are coming from. You delighted that Newcastle are getting beat and are in the state they are? Delighted are you?

Journalist: Certainly not. No one wants to see them get beaten, why would we?

Well it's about time someone said it publicly.

Even if we get someone else as manager we should try to keep him for media relations. :lol:

JK: I’m not going to tell you anything. I don’t understand where you are coming from. You delighted that Newcastle are getting beat and are in the state they are? Delighted are you?

Journalist: Certainly not. No one wants to see them get beaten, why would we?

Well it's about time someone said it publicly.

Even if we get someone else as manager we should try to keep him for media relations. :lol:

Sadly he can't win, poor bloke. If he says what everyone's thinking he gets slated for being unprofessional, if he keeps his mouth shut he's weak or just a puppet - I don't think he's helped himself any with the rant but it sure is entertaining and to the point :)

None of this means anything.

Fergie's stopped talking to the press this week for something that happened 3 months ago....and he's never gave the BBC owt.

As long as he wins games he can do what he likes.

Fair enough, at least the guy is prepared to roll up his sleeves and prove a point to these fuckers. I hope he does, I woudlnt want us ever to do badly and if he picks up points then it can only do us good both on and off the pitch. If Kinnear has a 100% win record at the end of October, then he can stay.