I love Mike Ashley.......

OllieBurton

.........not me personally but that was the general reaction of Toon fans in general when "Geordie" Mike turned up in the Away section wearing a black 'n' white shirt, pot gut & a big grin. All he had to do was play Jack the Lad & he had everyone kissing his @rse ..........especially when he brought the "Messiah" back, and then he well & truly f*cked things up big style when he appointed Dennis (not so) Wise & things went rapidly down hill.

Listen, I've got nowt against KK, he was great in his day both as a player & a manager but, lets face it, he's well past his "sell buy"

I sincerely hope that whoever takes over is in it for the long term (like the Yanks at Manu U), invests in the club & builds for the future.

So, I've not been so complimentary about KK - what are my alternatives? How about:-

a) El Tel - top class & proven & he's interested (just don't let him anywhere near the accounts)

:lol: Paul Ince - if he could be tempted away from Blackburn,

c) Matin O,Neil - a class act.

Am I talkin sh!te or what ???

I know you're trolling, but what exactly did Keegan do wrong (apart from not want to his squad sold out from under him).

1. tactically?

2. coaching?

3. squad building (as much as he was allowed)?

And for that matter why would Venables, Ince or even O'neill do better?

Is allowing an idiot with no real experience (Wise) to ravage your squad right-on "new school" management? And when did Fergy/Wenger/Mourinho or even O'neill last allow it to happen to their squad?

The thing that gets me is that toon fans want the new owners to make the same mistake.

What happens if they have a falling out? Its never ending.

The biggest mistake Ashley made was listening to the fans.

The thing that gets me is that toon fans want the new owners to make the same mistake.

The fans wanted Dennis Wise et al to come in and undermine KK I take it? That's a new one.

The fans wanted Dennis Wise et al to come in and undermine KK I take it? That's a new one.

He knew he would be working with a DOF.

I never heard a single fan ask for Keegan. Funny that.

We were happy when he came back but I never heard anybody knock down Ashley's door for it...

We were happy when he came back but I never heard anybody knock down Ashley's door for it...

He canvassed the fans at away games.

Was that the fans' choice as well? Otherwise I don't see your point.

Wise was never described as that until after the blow up, he was supposedly there to oversee youth development/recruitment, not to try to hawk Owen to the highest bidder.

I can't imagine Keegan (or anyone else) having a problem with the original description of Wise's job - however conversely I cannot see many (if any) managers not having a problem with the end result of Wise's job (especially when added to Lambrusco whose only qualifications seem to be Grade 1 smirking).

He canvassed the fans at away games.

That's bollocks imo, more PR shite a la Shepherd with Roeder, i.e. 'if it goes tits up, it's the fans to blame, not me'.

Wise was never described as that until after the blow up, he was supposedly there to oversee youth development/recruitment, not to try to hawk Owen to the highest bidder.

I can't imagine Keegan (or anyone else) having a problem with the original description of Wise's job - however conversely I cannot see many (if any) managers not having a problem with the end result of Wise's job (especially when added to Lambrusco whose only qualifications seem to be Grade 1 smirking).

A good point backed up by official statements from the club itself.

My point is, he should have appointed a manager used to the continental structure rather than a dinosaur that would make him popular with the fans.

The new lot are going to do it all over again.

His official title has always been, director in charge of football.

My point is, he should have appointed a manager used to the continental structure rather than a dinosaur that would make him popular with the fans.

The new lot are going to do it all over again.

You really buy all the press cliches don't you?

He showed last season with the 4-3-3 variation playing Martins, Owen and Viduka alone that he knows more about football than he's given credit for. He's a good manager, end of. Not the ultimate choice perhaps but then again (sorry top dispel another myth about all being deluded) I'm under no illusions about who we could attract at present.

His official title has always been, director in charge of football.

No it hasn't it's Executive Director (Football) iirc. It's a vague enough title and when the club initially clarified his role in public it didn't come across as what you'd described as a continental-style DoF.

It's clear to me the Wise role changed/eveloved during KK's tenure. It went from youth prospects and low level transfer stuff to him buying players. Wise himself contradicts himself over a similar period. Either his role was masked or he just developed it with MA's say so.

If he'd always been the Director of Football and the club's owner wanted to make that apparent, it would have been more straightforward of him to have called Wise that all along.

It's clear to me the Wise role changed/eveloved during KK's tenure. It went from youth prospects and low level transfer stuff to him buying players. Wise himself contradicts himself over a similar period. Either his role was masked or he just developed it with MA's say so.

Maybe Ashley was concerned that after he had paid down NUFCs mountain of debt for them, his manager was intent on racking it back up.

Maybe KK just displayed a massive lack of realism.

Swap Keegan for Venables or Ince? Surely not. And Martin O'Neill wouldn't come.

...You can all guess who my preference for next manager is.

Give Keegan the same resources as the rest and I'd back him against just about anyone

Maybe Ashley was concerned that after he had paid down NUFCs mountain of debt for them, his manager was intent on racking it back up.

Maybe KK just displayed a massive lack of realism.

Do you think Keegan was correct to have concerns about the size of the squad and its depth? Or do you think Wise and co.'s transfer policy has been vindicated in any way?