An Impossible Job

Jimbo

An Impossible Job

A chance to revisit the landmark documentary following Graham Taylor's failed attempt to steer England's football team to the 1994 World Cup in America

Category Documentary

ITV4 11:00pm-12:35am (1 hour 35 minutes) Sun 5 Oct

Do I not like that !

PLATTY !!!!!

Nice one, gonna Sky + it. Comedy gold.

Having said that, I think Taylor is a pretty decent bloke these days. Just completely out of his depth as England manager.

:(

The bloke speaks complete shite on TV and Radio man!

so many classic quotes out of that video:

"Can we not knock it?"

"I'm a metre...tell your pal he's just got me the sack"

Taylor giving talk at training: "What we don't want is to be caught quick break"....cut to England getting caught quick break against Poland

"You worry Rob, but don't fucking make the rest of us worry"

we used to watch it all the time during uni days over tea and spliffs. comedy gold.

Guest Stevie

When you look round that dressing room, it's a disgrace that we didn't qualify. Player for player were Bulgaria better than us? They made the last four. Top class players in there, and he insisted on picking idiots like Palmer, Sinton, and Thomas. Look around, the dressing room, Shearer fair enough injured for a lot of it, Les Ferdinand, Adams, Platt, Gazza, Ince, John Barnes, Pearce, Spunky, fucking hell. It's a joke. It really is, most of them would walk in the current England team.

taylor (about gazza) - "you're in this side to deliver pal!"

neal - "that's what he's in the side for"

----

taylor - "the ball's there for them"

neal - "it's there for them"

---

taylor - "now this is a test isn't it"

neal - "it's a real test"

----

jim rosnthal to taylor: "can we have a few words graham"

taylor "use your heads. play football with your heads"

class

And Lawrie Mac is clever enough to just say nowt and nod most of the time. Probably couldn't believe he'd been given the job tbh. Fantastic programme though. Comedy gold.

Edited by alex

I quite like Taylor these days (since watching The Match - he seemed a decent enough bloke) but he was so out of his depth with England. He needed to surround himself with strong personalities and sound tacticians so that he could turn to them when he needed them, but instead he was surrounded by the epitome of yes-men.

Fantastic club manager who proved himself well at both Watford and Villa.

He's proof though that being a good club manager doesn't necessarily make you a good international manager.

He's proof though that being a good club manager doesn't necessarily make you a good international manager.

Pretty much all his success came from 'route one' football then people were surprised when he wanted England to play the same way.

Guest Stevie

Same with club footballer and international footballers. I don't think it's unfair to think on a club basis John Barnes could be in the top 10-20 players this country has ever seen, but on the international scene largely a no, no, no. Steven Gerrard is similar to a lesser extent, and Super Wank.

I know it's not neccessarily the point you're making but both Barnes and Gerrard should have been / be good enough to do the business consistently for England.

Guest Stevie
I know it's not neccessarily the point you're making but both Barnes and Gerrard should have been / be good enough to do the business consistently for England.

Absolutely, but perhaps Graham Taylor should've been good enough for England with technical coaches around him. People might think the style his sides employed didn't marry with the international game, but with better players at Villa, he proved he could mix his tactics up from the percentage game he exclusively employed at Watford. Villa were not a long ball team, they had big centre forwards like Ian Ormondroyd, and Alan McInally, but they played nice stuff too, and came second before he got the England job.