Ameobi 'could be the new John Fashanu'

Douggy B

JOE KINNEAR is backing Shola Ameobi to go and be the next John Fashanu.

And the Newcastle United interim manager has been so impressed at his 26-year-old striker that he plans to work with him on a one-to-one basis during the fortnight’s break for international duty.

Kinnear told me on Friday night that he intended to use Ameobi in his starting line-up at Everton, but in the end the former England Under-21 international had to be content with a place on the substitutes bench.

When he did get on Ameobi nearly set up the winner for Charles N’Zogbia but Leighton Baines cleared off the goal-line.

But Kinnear clearly rates Ameobi more than £5m deadline-day signing Xisco.

Ameobi has been teased by his United colleagues after hearing Kinnear call him the new John Fashanu in training and has revelled in his new name of Fash The Bash.

But Kinnear is quite serious when he says: “I think Shola has a lot to offer. I don’t think he’s the finished article, but he’s a powerful lad, and is willing to work.

“I’m going to work one-to-one with him most afternoons, and he could be a John Fashanu.”

Ameobi’s tally of 46 goals is more than any other player on the club’s staff, but he has not found the net for exactly two seasons since he scored from the penalty spot in the home defeat by Sam Allardyce’s Bolton.

But boosted by encouragement from Kinnear Ameobi twice went close in his 15 minutes on the field yesterday.

Ameobi to save the Toon?

I would be worrying about Tottenham if I were you...

I am but this is a newcastle board after all. Do you see any familiarity between Ameobi and Fash?

I would be worrying about Tottenham if I were you...

I am but this is a newcastle board after all. Do you see any familiarity between Ameobi and Fash?

I see similarities between Ameobi and Bambi on Ice if that helps :(

And the Newcastle United interim manager has been so impressed at his 26-year-old striker that he plans to work with him on a one-to-one basis during the fortnight’s break for international duty.

Kinnear told me on Friday night that he intended to use Ameobi in his starting line-up at Everton, but in the end the former England Under-21 international had to be content with a place on the substitutes bench.

When he did get on Ameobi nearly set up the winner for Charles N’Zogbia but Leighton Baines cleared off the goal-line.

Ameobi has been teased by his United colleagues after hearing Kinnear call him the new John Fashanu in training and has revelled in his new name of Fash The Bash.

But Kinnear is quite serious when he says: “I think Shola has a lot to offer. I don’t think he’s the finished article, but he’s a powerful lad, and is willing to work.

“I’m going to work one-to-one with him most afternoons, and he could be a John Fashanu.”

Ameobi’s tally of 46 goals is more than any other player on the club’s staff, but he has not found the net for exactly two seasons since he scored from the penalty spot in the home defeat by Sam Allardyce’s Bolton.

But boosted by encouragement from Kinnear Ameobi twice went close in his 15 minutes on the field yesterday.

Ameobi to save the Toon?

Would it be wrong of me to say 'obsessed'? :(

And he's right.

Without Martins for a month, I can see why he's bigging up Ameobi. The laughter that greets his introduction in a game and the abuse he gets for every loss of posession or shot that goes wide boils my piss a bit. We basically do the opposition fans' job for them.

Edited by Happy Face

Ameobi to save the Toon?

most boring poster ever?

:(

And he's right.

Without Martins for a month, I can see why he's bigging up Ameobi. The laughter that greets his introduction in a game and the abuse he gets for every loss of posession or shot that goes wide boils my piss a bit. We basically do the opposition fans' job for them.

People were booing him before he even came on at the Blackburn match.

I don't mind 'If Shola scores were on the pitch' because it's funny and it seems to encourage him in some kind of strange way.

I just think people should give him his chances as opposed to writing him off - however poor he is.

Agree about the stick but Shola's problem (in terms of him being like John Fashanu, I haven't got all day) is that despite being big and strong he's shite in the air and all he seems to be able to use his body strength for is fouling whoever is marking him. Says a lot about Xisco that Shola got on before him like.

If Kinnear can get Ameobi to become anywhere near the new John Fashanu it will be some achievement and I'll take my hat off to him.

At the moment he isn't even half a player.

Stranger things have happened :(

Agree about the stick but Shola's problem (in terms of him being like John Fashanu, I haven't got all day) is that despite being big and strong he's shite in the air and all he seems to be able to use his body strength for is fouling whoever is marking him. Says a lot about Xisco that Shola got on before him like.

It's true Shola isn't very good in the air. Unfortunately he can't shoot either which makes him one deadly striker indeed :(

It's true Shola isn't very good in the air. Unfortunately he can't shoot either which makes him one deadly striker indeed ;)

At least Justin Fashanu could hang in the air, Shola hasn't even got that.

I'll get my coat :(