Disgraceful support?

Eeh Bah Gum Duck

IIRC Liverpool were in it too...<_<

Yes it's crystal clear that the Liverpool supporters viewed the League Cup as every bit as prestigious as the Fairs Cup......

Liverpool 2 - 1 Athletic Bilbao

Game Date :: 02.10.1968

Competition :: European Fairs Cup 1st round 2nd leg Stadium :: Anfield

Spectators :: 49,567

Liverpool 8 - 0 TSV Munich

Game Date :: 07.11.1967

Competition :: European Fairs Cup 2nd round 1st leg Stadium :: Anfield

Spectators :: 44,812

Liverpool 0 - 1 Ferencvaros

Game Date :: 09.01.1968

Competition :: European Fairs Cup 3rd round 2nd leg Stadium :: Anfield

Spectators :: 46,892

Liverpool 3 - 2 Vitoria Setubal

Game Date :: 26.11.1969

Competition :: European Fairs Cup 2nd round 2nd leg Stadium :: Anfield

Spectators :: 47,633

Liverpool 4 - 0 Sheffield United

Game Date :: 04.09.1968

Competition :: League Cup 2nd round Stadium :: Anfield

Spectators :: 32,358

Liverpool 2 - 0 Swansea

Game Date :: 25.09.1968

Competition :: League Cup 3rd round Stadium :: Anfield

Spectators :: 31,051

You miss the point again. The League Cup has never been a big thing, playing in Europe has, but that doesn't mean the quality of the competition overall is anything to shout about because some of the teams that qualified were way down in their domestic league, with other clubs higher than them but being disqualified because of the one city rule. That is the only reason you were in it in the first place ffs.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stevie

Yes it's crystal clear that the Liverpool supporters viewed the League Cup as every bit as prestigious as the Fairs Cup......

Liverpool 2 - 0 Swansea

You miss the point again. The League Cup has never been a big thing, playing in Europe has, but that doesn't mean the quality of the competition overall is anything to shout about because some of the teams that qualified were way down in their domestic league, with other clubs higher than them but being disqualified because of the one city rule. That is the only reason you were in it in the first place ffs.

Yes no big teams ever played in the Fairs Cup none.

Although the Fair's Cup wasn't iirc officially sanctioned by Uefa it counts as a major trophy on a par with the old Uefa Cup imo (i.e. pre-CL expansion). You just need to look at some of the sides we played in it (not just the year we won). The one city rule is an anomoly that worked in our favour but it was still a bigger competition than something like the League Cup. I wouldn't sniff a League Cup win for us either mind you.

Being fair, to some extent I'd agree with you Alex, but the overiding thing for me would be that the teams who finished higher than you, and weren't allowed to enter, reduced the overall quality of the competition as compared with the UEFA cup.

By definition that was the case I suppose. I'd say it was a better comp than the current Uefa Cup though and it was a freak occurence for us to come 10th* and get in. You'd have to say it was a bigger prize than the League Cup as well.

*I remember a similar situation where we got into the Uefa Cup by getting to the Cup Final (think it was '99) but we actually got into the Uefa Cup when we'd reached the semis as it turned out, i.e. you often get into a competition by a quirky route, like Man City and the fair play thing.

Better than the current UEFA yes, but me I'd rather have the old UEFA and Champions League comps. The UEFA had the best up and coming teams (and some on the way down) with the CL for Champions only.

Liverpool 2 - 0 Swansea

I didn't say that at all. My overall disregard for it is because of the qualification, nothing else.

The expanded CL basically destroyed the Uefa and Cup Winners' Cups. Shame as they were all great comps. I think the Champions League is boring as fuck as well now until the knock-out stage as well. It was inevitable though in order to stop a breakaway Euro League. At least Uefa have recognised that the second group stage was a step too far in terms bleeding the competition dry. People just weren't interested unless their team was involved. I'd like a return to the old champions only, knock-out European Cup but that isn't happening, is it?

I remember the last time we played Peterborough when we were in a lower division. We didn't take 4,000, or 6,000 or 8,000, we took over 10,000 we had fans on three sides of the ground, and the standing away bit felt like another Hillsborough was going to happen. Anyone there that day, Sheedy etc....

got nicked <_<

I remember being outside a pub (I was only 14), and this bloke walked out struggling, what he'd done is lifted up the wooden tab machine, them old ones, and took it outside, smashed it on the floor and there was a free for all for the tabs, was that you?

Red Shadow is a good poster iyam. I realised you don't ask me btw Stevie.

What did you want to know?

No mate. I had a few fights alongside the side of the ground, in thier end. I got nicked for having a go at this bloke who was spouting IRA shit. He was on a bike, knocked him off it, threw the bike over the wall. turned out to be a bridge it fell onto the roof of a little pleasure boat below. Got let ou 5oclock next morning no charge.

Remember them introducing Dave boy Green to the crowd the Fenn Tiger, he had to run off as Geordies ran on the pitch. 1-1 there and 2-1 up here in the pissing snow :razz: Tommy robson the manager

The expanded CL basically destroyed the Uefa and Cup Winners' Cups. Shame as they were all great comps. I think the Champions League is boring as fuck as well now until the knock-out stage as well. It was inevitable though in order to stop a breakaway Euro League. At least Uefa have recognised that the second group stage was a step too far in terms bleeding the competition dry. People just weren't interested unless their team was involved. I'd like a return to the old champions only, knock-out European Cup but that isn't happening, is it?

No, unfortunately. I suppose a name change to something like the European League competition would be more appropriate, but it doesn't grab the sponsors as much as the name Champions League.

Guest Stevie

Liverpool 2 - 0 Swansea

I didn't say that at all. My overall disregard for it is because of the qualification, nothing else.

In many ways when we won the Fairs Cup it was the best achievement of any English club to that point look who we beat...

Feyenoord - Champions of Europe 12 months later and we did them 4-0.

Sporting Lisbon - Portuguese Champions 12 months later

Vitoria Setubal - A canny side

Zaragoza - Fairs Cup winners and runners up just a few years before

Rangers - one of the best sides in Europe

Ujpest Dozsa - regarded as the best team in Europe

I move that another board is created for "Biggest Club debate" where people can argue abstract ideas of bigness and transcendental notions of self-importance as they relate to the club they support.

Or everyone involved could just admit it's important to them because they only have small tig wags and forget about it.

Need a biggest train station board too. <_<

And maybe a biggest board board.

Red Shadow is a good poster iyam. I realised you don't ask me btw Stevie.

He's one of the better visitors I suppose.

Like Teed, Teed barely posts he just watches and then posts a smiley every now and then.

So after Lurking for 20 minutes....

<_<

Like clockwork :razz:

:icon_lol:

Although the Fair's Cup wasn't iirc officially sanctioned by Uefa it counts as a major trophy on a par with the old Uefa Cup imo (i.e. pre-CL expansion). You just need to look at some of the sides we played in it (not just the year we won). The one city rule is an anomoly that worked in our favour but it was still a bigger competition than something like the League Cup. I wouldn't sniff a League Cup win for us either mind you.

Being fair, to some extent I'd agree with you Alex, but the overiding thing for me would be that the teams who finished higher than you, and weren't allowed to enter, reduced the overall quality of the competition as compared with the UEFA cup.

Does this mean we get to belittle the old European Cup since you won it 4 times at a time when huge clubs such as Malmo graced the competition, and at a time the UEFA Cup was stronger as you got more clubs from the major nations in it back then?

Better than the current UEFA yes, but me I'd rather have the old UEFA and Champions League comps. The UEFA had the best up and coming teams (and some on the way down) with the CL for Champions only.

Bet you weren't saying that in 2005. Or any of the years you've qualified for the CL in fact. <_<