Who do you think is the best value for money player we have ever bought?

farnie1993

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for forging the relationship as a player, which then became a management position eight years later, given the fact he is the only one imo who could have made it happen like it did, I think 100k for Keegan was the best money we ever spent.

In the modern era Shay Given would just pip Rob Lee.

best value for money

1) pedro

2) shay given

3) rob lee

most expensive flops:

1) albert luque (£10m)

2) jean-lan boumsong (£8m)

3) carl cort (£7m)

viana?

more expensive than cort but not quite as big a flop for me because he chip in with the odd goal or assist. cort was a donkey - never anywhere near a £7m player and probably sbr's biggest blunder in the transfer market. although titus bramble runs him close.

best value for money

1) pedro

2) shay given

3) rob lee

Can't go far wrong with those 3 choices, especially with Pedro being my favourite all time player. Also a mention for Venison, who was about £250k i think, was a top fullback, then moved into midfield and also captained the team.

David Kelly? A few hundred thousand wasn't it. Shay Given, Peter Beardsley and Rob Lee as others have mentioned surely rank up there. Or how about Hughie Gallagher for a cool £10,000?

Alan Shearer worked out at £1.5m a season - that's value for money.

For me however I'd rate Andy Cole as our best buy pound for pound. £1.75m for all those goals and many many wins based on those goals?

I'm slightly biased because he was my first footballing hero but while he was here he was nothing short of sensational and he played a huge part in our successful transition from a promotion new boy to a top-flight big boy, arguably as big a part as any outside of Sir John Hall and Kevin Keegan. We also made a massive profit on him too.

Going off topic for a moment, looking around the game today there doesn't seem to be any future Andy Cole's around does there, strikers from the lower leagues who can score lots of goals in the top-flight and develop into top-class players along the way. I don't know what that says about the game or the spread of talent or whether there is a window to give talent like that a rare opportunity but I find it rather sad in many ways. Back in his day you had several strikers like him such as Collymore, Sir Les, Ian Wright etc. - strikers who all started out at lower level going on to score top-flight goals consistently and gaining international recognition.

Cole proved he wasn't a one-off or the right man in the right place at the right time by scoring goals wherever he went.

I'll tell you what, I wouldn't mind another player like him at our club. Plucked from obscurity and turning into gold. With such players you get a bigger sense of achievement and more satisfaction watching play/bang the goals in if you ask me.

Got to have Nobby in the list too.

Good shout. Dalglish signed us some good value for money players among the dross he bought such as Nobby, Shay, Speed, Dabizas to an extent and even Hamann who was fantastic in his brief spell here and of course has since proved very good value for money elsewhere.

Good shout. Dalglish signed us some good value for money players among the dross he bought such as Nobby, Shay, Speed, Dabizas to an extent and even Hamann who was fantastic in his brief spell here and of course has since proved very good value for money elsewhere.

dabizas was total crap

dabizas was total crap

He had deficiencies but what a load of bollocks. I tell you something else, you tell me a center half we have had who was more likely to score as well.....ever.

Disappointed to see no mention of the legend that is Jonny Beresford in here. Those two goals in Kiev alone should make him worthy of a mention. The best LB I've seen at United in my time watching.

Yeah, still my favourite LB too, getting Bez and Venison for the price he did, and the years of service we had from them was great work from Keegan.

Disappointed to see no mention of the legend that is Jonny Beresford in here. Those two goals in Kiev alone should make him worthy of a mention. The best LB I've seen at United in my time watching.

Yeah, still my favourite LB too, getting Bez and Venison for the price he did, and the years of service we had from them was great work from Keegan.

Great work by Keegan, surely not? The media and some of the KK haters would have you believe hes a chequebook manager who only wants to sign the likes of Beckham, Henry and Ronaldinho. And the scary thing is, its been written that many times even some over on N-O are starting to believe it...

He can't pick a player though apparently and can only operate on an open cheque book.