The kids board would go into meltdown if it happened

Snake

"There is only one club I'd leave Blackburn for - Newcastle United"

Alan Shearer 1994

Ask a Rovers fan about that and ask about the time Shearer basically confirmed he wouldn't be playing for Blackburn for his full career when he said before he retires he wants to play for Newcastle United. (An answer to a question in their match day programme I think) This was said back in 93 not long after he signed for them IIRC.

Whenever Blackburn faced us at St. James' Park he'd stay behind to stay with family and on the night time jump in his care and drive around St. James' Park a few times.

As a kid he was a Toon fanatic and playing football all he ever wanted to do one day was score goals for the team he supported.

When he broke Wor Jackie's record the look on his face was sheer pride. The man loves this club probably far more than any of us on here ever will.

I fucking hate it when people cast doubt on such things based on fuck all.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean N-O? If so it is pretty much anti-Keegan more than anything else.

I don't think so, it's just not a Keegan worship fest since he walked out. Most of those who question him at least make their case.

You've never told me what he actually did wrong.

Apart from refuse to continue in a club where he had NO say of needed strengthening and his best players were attempted to be sold behind his back.

Other than that what did Keegan do wrong in his time in charge here?

As far as I can tell nothing, and the number of current Premiership managers that would have put up with the "structure" he was being forced to work under numbers very, very few (maybe none).

But yes, for those that remember him (as a NUFC player and manager he does deserve some respect and frankly some :D ).

I didn't say he'd done anything wrong I just said that there's an alternative point of view held by some members over there (not mine necessarily). It's like some people like chips for their tea, others like Gemmill who has sensitive gums probably prefers mashed potatoes. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Yup you either love Keegan or...... you're wrong. :nufc::)

With hindsight, Shearer may wish he'd taken the opportunity. As Keane has done at Sunderland, if you take over when the club is in the "clarts", then you have a better chance of getting the club moving in the right direction and building momentum. If you take over at a club already doing well (as Souness did after Robson) you're far more likely to balls things up, especially if you don't have the experience.

/mindless waffle.

I'm pretty sure Shearer is happy he didn't take the job given the lack of funds and interference from others. Had we been taken over by some oil-money multi-billionaire I reckon he would have been a lot more interested. Shearer isn't stupid and knows how to get the best for himself and was imo too afraid of failing to take the manager's job just yet.

Edit: The same goes for Keane, he wouldn't have went near Sunderland unless he was guaranteed the money to take them forward and I'd say that this delay in him signing a new contract has a lot to do with the funds that will be made available to him.

Why do you think Shearer turned down the chance to work alongside Keegan? Not wanting to play second fiddle maybe?

If Keegan did really well then Shearer would be No.2 for a long time, if Keegan did badly then Shearer would be tainted by that failure. Not really much room for him there to win.

I don't think so, it's just not a Keegan worship fest since he walked out. Most of those who question him at least make their case.

Apart from refuse to continue in a club where he had NO say of needed strengthening and his best players were attempted to be sold behind his back.

As far as I can tell nothing, and the number of current Premiership managers that would have put up with the "structure" he was being forced to work under numbers very, very few (maybe none).

But yes, for those that remember him (as a NUFC player and manager he does deserve some respect and frankly some :D ).

I didn't say he'd done anything wrong I just said that there's an alternative point of view held by some members over there (not mine necessarily). It's like some people like chips for their tea, others like Gemmill who has sensitive gums probably prefers mashed potatoes. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Yup you either love Keegan or...... you're wrong. <_<:)

I actually do love Keegan so I'm right anyway :nufc:

With Shearer though I never really got him tbh. I'm not really sure what he's done to deserve his legend status at Newcastle other than be a record signing geordie. Keegan doesn't really need to say he loves Newcastle, it's obvious. When Shearer says it, it looks like he's reading from an auto cue. he really is a smug twat IMO. With all respect.

Yup you either love Keegan or...... you're wrong. :):)

With Shearer though I never really got him tbh. I'm not really sure what he's done to deserve his legend status at Newcastle other than be a record signing geordie. Keegan doesn't really need to say he loves Newcastle, it's obvious. When Shearer says it, it looks like he's reading from an auto cue. he really is a smug twat IMO. With all respect.

Those 206 goals perhaps? <_<

Yup you either love Keegan or...... you're wrong. :):)

Those 206 goals perhaps? <_<

I thought we played better stuff the season before he signed. After he arrived everything seemed to centre around him and because he wasn't as quick at Newcastle the team play slowed down. The exception to this was when for a couple of seasons under Robson he had flyers like Dyer, Bellamy and Robert around him.

I'm glad he never signed as well btw. Thankfully we never needed all of those goals to save us from relegation and single handedly give our fans two cup final days out at Wembley.

I'm glad he never signed as well btw. Thankfully we never needed all of those goals to save us from relegation and single handedly give our fans two cup final days out at Wembley.

is he being serious? it's hard to tell on a forum

:D

He is you know.

He is you know.

Sometimes you have to look outside the box to get any real insight my friends.

He is you know.

Sometimes you have to look outside the box to get any real insight my friends.

Shearer done that quite often.

He is you know.

i dont think he is, surely noone can be that much of an idiot

He is you know.

I was going to mention Shearer, goals and open play as opposed to dead ball situations but fuck it, why bother?

Shearer + local hero = legend. If you are happy with that then great.

:)

He is you know.

I was going to mention Shearer, goals and open play as opposed to dead ball situations but fuck it, why bother?

He is you know.

You rarely see it typed out nowadays, but: What the fuck? :)

He is you know.

You rarely see it typed out nowadays, but: What the fuck? :)

..and we all lived happily ever after. The End. :nufc:

He is you know.

you can't say this, then turn around and castigate them for setting high standards - which is why Keegan walked and possibly why Shearer doesn't want the job.

If you are happy with a 2nd rate club, then great for you

I've got greater faith in Keegans ambition than Mike Ashleys, thats an absolute no brainer.

He is you know.

You rarely see it typed out nowadays, but: What the fuck? :nufc:

..and we all lived happily ever after. The End. <_<

He is you know.

you can't say this, then turn around and castigate them for setting high standards - which is why Keegan walked and possibly why Shearer doesn't want the job.

I've got greater faith in Keegans ambition than Mike Ashleys, thats an absolute no brainer.

I agree with you

He is you know.

I agree with you