5 biggest flops

farnie1993

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The stupid thing is, when Marcelino actually did play, he looked not half bad.

Going a bit old school at the start:

John Robertson

John Ryan

Mark Robinson

Guivarch

Luque

He was never fit, and was never allowed to get fit, which was a shame because he was a canny player. Wayne Ferraday, and Bill Riley top him by a mile IMO

1 John Robertson - top scorer in Scotland, I think he was our record signing at the time, 20 games NEE FUCKIN GOALS, of course he went back to Scotland 6 months later and started banging them in again as normal.

2 Albert Luque - given the fee and his overall contribution

3 Jean Alain Boumsong - £8M and the amount of Rangers fans saying he was the worlds best defender, and we'd be a stepping stone to Real Madrid (although Rangers were clearly a stepping stone to us), I expected someone at least better than Bramble, sadly...no.

4 Marcelino - Look like Bobby Moore in his last game for Mallorca (against Lazio at Villa Park), sadly on the rare occasion he did play we'd have been better off with Bobby Davro.

5 Christian Bassedas - we've signed a lot of players who are young and unproven, who regardless of the fee are somewhat a gamble regardless if they're foreign or not, Viana was one, but the reason I was so disappointed with Bassedas was he had 30 odd caps for one of the blue chip football countries in the world, I thought fuckin hell he must be tremendous, but he was utterly anonymous in 99% of his games here.

Boumsong better than any of our current crop of defenders? :D Oh my.

Boumsong was utter cack. He's an athlete, not a naturally gifted footballer.

Has anyone mentioned Fumaca?

so taylor is better than boumsong? taylor and col are our 1st choice centre backs so don't bring cacapa or bassong into this because so some reason the manager won't pick them over taylor.

Yes. He made Bramble look good for fucks sake.

1 John Robertson - top scorer in Scotland, I think he was our record signing at the time, 20 games NEE FUCKIN GOALS, of course he went back to Scotland 6 months later and started banging them in again as normal.

He signed with two games left of the year but couldn't play as it was after the then deadline and we were due to play teams still in relegation trouble who wouldn't allow him to play.

At the start of the next season I think he only played about 6 or 7 - certainly not 20 and was offered a get out to go home. The probem was we had him and John Hendrie up front and the newly signed Beasant couldn't stop banging the ball up to them Wimbledon style - I can remember who the midfield was (Bogie?) but they didn't help.

Basically the old board + McFaul took the easy way out in sending him back.

so taylor is better than boumsong? taylor and col are our 1st choice centre backs so don't bring cacapa or bassong into this because so some reason the manager won't pick them over taylor.

silly man. boumsong hasn't exactly done bad for himself since leaving either

I thought this was about flops at Newcastle, not that Boumsong was exactly a great success at Juve either. Taylor's a better PL centre-half than Boumsong btw. And I don't rate Taylor.

He signed with two games left of the year but couldn't play as it was after the then deadline and we were due to play teams still in relegation trouble who wouldn't allow him to play.

At the start of the next season I think he only played about 6 or 7 - certainly not 20 and was offered a get out to go home. The probem was we had him and John Hendrie up front and the newly signed Beasant couldn't stop banging the ball up to them Wimbledon style - I can remember who the midfield was (Bogie?) but they didn't help.

That's right because we asked West Ham if he could play against them it was April when we signed him. Bogie was wank, but he played more than 6 games easily 20 in all competitions I would say, and we weren't all long ball, we played well when we won at Anfield, and that first half against Spurs was the best I'd seen in ages. The thing is as well, long ball WAS the Scottish game, with dodgier elbows and tackles flying about than anywhere. The fact is with that sort of record he was a major flop.

Boumsong wouldn't have made at any PL club. Obvoiusly he isn't a shite player per se but he wasn't suited to play over here at all. He's not strong enough or good enough in the air.

i disagree

He got bullied any time he marked a big strong lad. He only ever looked the part when Bramble basically carried him when he first arrived (when Bramble had a purple patch). Even then a few of us voiced concerns as he still had some shaky moments.

That's right because we asked West Ham if he could play against them it was April when we signed him. Bogie was wank, but he played more than 6 games easily 20 in all competitions I would say, and we weren't all long ball, we played well when we won at Anfield, and that first half against Spurs was the best I'd seen in ages. The thing is as well, long ball WAS the Scottish game, with dodgier elbows and tackles flying about than anywhere. The fact is with that sort of record he was a major flop.

Wasn't there a phase where Bogie was meant to be the new Gazza? Or am I getting him mixed up?

Wasn't there a phase where Bogie was meant to be the new Gazza? Or am I getting him mixed up?

No, he was called that.

I thought this was about flops at Newcastle, not that Boumsong was exactly a great success at Juve either. Taylor's a better PL centre-half than Boumsong btw. And I don't rate Taylor.

taylor is not a better defender than boumsong in any league

Ae ever, you make your case so convincingly Triggy. Neither are much cop as PL centre-halves so it's a bit of a moot point. The fee does make Boumsong more of a flop though, obviously.

Nar Anal did a big thing about him in The Pink, called The New Gazza, he was labelled that Match as well.

He ended up playing for the reserves while at Juve. His stint at Lyon hasn't been too bad but they steamroller every fucker else in the league every year. Cacapa was one of their star players for fucks sake :)

Boumsong is always in the French national set up but that's because Domenech is a nutter who admits to picking his side based on star signs and the like.

He's an athlete, he's not a defender. Defenders should be able to win a tussle with Peter Crouch.

Edited by Ketsbaia

Ae ever, you make your case so convincingly Triggy. Neither are much cop as PL centre-halves so it's a bit of a moot point. The fee does make Boumsong more of a flop though, obviously.

I've never seen Taylor try to trap a ball, miss it, give a way a penalty and get sent of in the space of 1.5 seconds. Must be a world record.

He's obviously a canny defender in France. He played very well on at least a couple of occasions for us up against Henry. But he'd rather be marking someone like Henry every week, whereas someone like Geoff Horsfield put the fear of God into him. Massive flop for us in any case.

According to Wiki he made 12 appearances - so we were both right/wrong :D

That win at Anfield is probably my favourite non-mackem victory - it was still when nobody won there.

It wasn't just the long ball - it was the fact we had nobody to win it and/or hold it up.

According to Wiki he made 12 appearances - so we were both right/wrong :)

That win at Anfield is probably my favourite non-mackem victory - it was still when nobody won there.

It wasn't just the long ball - it was the fact we had nobody to win it and/or hold it up.

Sayin that like our pen at Anfield, was Beasant, in the air the next time it bounced was on their D. Mirandinha's celebration in front of the Kop :D