Windows Media Centre

peasepud

All of a sudden my Media Centre has lost the sound from Live TV (and when I record TV). Its not the speaker setup or anything as music and video all work fine purely the TV side of things. Ive checked and double checked the aerial but nothing out of place there. Strage thing is the sound when the centre opens doesnt happen anymore either.

Any ideas anyone?

All of a sudden my Media Centre has lost the sound from Live TV (and when I record TV). Its not the speaker setup or anything as music and video all work fine purely the TV side of things. Ive checked and double checked the aerial but nothing out of place there. Strage thing is the sound when the centre opens doesnt happen anymore either.

Any ideas anyone?

You mean music and video work in Media Centre?

Any ideas anyone?

You mean music and video work in Media Centre?

Yes, yes I do, everything other than TV live or recorded has sound when played through Media Centre.

Pud, it sounds like it could be a driver issue with either your sound card or possibly the tuner.

If you go to start > control panel > system > hardware (tab) > device manager > sound, video and game controllers.

Then expand that, check to make sure everything is fine - so no yellow icons with device unknown next to them.

If that is fine just right click on each icon under the sound, video and game controller > update driver and follow the hardware update wizard prompts.

If you've got a yellow unknown device then things become a little more complicated as you will have to find the driver yourself - the easiest way is just to google for the specs of your system and then a search for drivers or if it's a factory box, try their downloads and updates page on their site.

Sorry, I meant TV tuner/card. Most come with their own software (I have a cheap USB one which comes with some toss Pinnacle-branded software) but they are compatible with Media Centre. If it's a PC and the card was built-in when you bought it, find out what brand it is and see if you can download the drivers from the website and reinstall...?

• 4 weeks later...

Finally solved it,

it turns out that theres a volume control for WMC within the options of volume. It only appears when WMC is open. For some reason that had been muted :(

Not sure why it didnt affect replay of video and music though.