FA Warn Kinnear

Happy Face

The Football Association has warned Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear he could face disciplinary action if he repeats his foul-mouthed outburst.

A furious Kinnear swore more than 50 times at reporters in a press conference earlier this month.

An FA statement said: "Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear has been reminded of his responsibilities by The FA."

The FA said they had received an apology from Kinnear "for any offence that his comments may have caused".

The 61-year-old's appointment as interim manager of the struggling Premier League club was greeted with shock.

But the manager was upset at his treatment in the media and hit out at newspaper journalists he believes had ridiculed him and tried to undermine his position.

But the FA insisted that a repeat performance will not be tolerated, adding: "The FA has borne into consideration the specific context in which the comments were made and the fact that the comments were made in a closed forum.

"While he will not face any formal disciplinary action on this occasion, he has been advised that in the event of similar public comments, disciplinary proceedings may be brought against him."

In the press conference on 2 October, Kinnear slammed the "scandalous lies" in the press over a decision to give Newcastle's players a day off after their home defeat to Blackburn.

Several newspapers claimed he turned up to take training on the Monday after the game to find there were no players there, when in fact no training had been scheduled.

Kinnear later told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I am sending this to my lawyers. There's not even one ounce of truth in it."

He added: "I don't mind what they say if it's true but they are scandalous lies and I want to know why they want to do that."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/7670468.stm