Harris: Keegan not part of any bids

Craig

Newcastle United sale broker, Keith Harris, spoke to Sky on Wednesday and as well as establishing that all of the seven interested bidders are based overseas, he also confirmed that none of the bids are dependent on the return of Kevin Keegan as manager:

"Nobody has said to us that is a condition for us to go forward. Nobody has said, as a pre-condition, it is this manager or that manager. Whoever is the new owner, it would be their choice of the management team on and off the field."

Talking about the prospective bidders Harris said:

"I think it is certainly likely that the next owner of Newcastle will be from outside these shores," he said.

"We have had now, for seven or eight days, seven interested parties. They are not from these shores, and that is not surprising. Within that group, we have taken the chance to start honing down the list - so far nobody has dropped out."

Speaking about possible bids from Nigeria and South Africa:

"We need to distinguish between interest and serious interest. We have had people talk to us from those parts of the world - but we have not deemed it serious interest."

Speaking on Radio 5 Live on Monday evening, investment banker Harris, had this to say about the current situation:

"I'm quietly confident there'll be a good solution for Mike and the fans."

"In his time of owning it, Mike has cleaned up the balance sheets and Newcastle is one of the few clubs that has no debt whatsoever, so that makes it very attractive to an incoming owner."

However, this is actually at odds with Mike Ashley's statement on September 14th in which the owner said:

"But like any business with assets the club has debts. I paid £134 million out of my own pocket for the club. I then poured another £110 million into the club not to pay off the debt but just to reduce it."

George Caulkin writing in The Times also suggests that three of the seven interested parties have indeed provided proof of funds:

Football is not immune from the flux afflicting the global economy, but at least three of the parties manoeuvring to buy Newcastle United have provided proof that they have the funds to revitalise the club. As of last night, the number of groups who have registered a firm interest in acquiring Mike Ashley’s stake before Friday’s deadline remained static at seven, but no one has dropped out.

Reports over the weekend suggested that Ashley, Newcastle’s billionaire owner, was hunkering down for an extended stay at St James’ Park in the face of the turbulent financial conditions that are affecting his search for a buyer. It has also been said that Joe Kinnear, the club’s interim manager, may remain in his position until the end of the season.

While the economic turmoil in the banking sector and beyond means that little can be guaranteed, supporters will be reassured that investors view Newcastle as a going concern. Consortiums from the Middle East, the Far East and the United States have registered an interest with Seymour Pierce, the investment bank handling the sale, and three have the means to buy players.

Given that Tony Jimenez, the former Newcastle vice-president (player recruitment), left the club last week and Ashley has indicated that he will not invest further in the team if he remains in situ for January’s transfer window, fans will hope that a deal can be concluded soon. Ashley is thought to be seeking up to £300 million for the club.

Keith Harris obviously went to the same school of spouting bollocks that Ashley did, total contradictions in the same statement added to the fact that the club officially told the fans forum on Monday that there was only one bid in.

Keith Harris obviously went to the same school of spouting bollocks that Ashley did, total contradictions in the same statement added to the fact that the club officially told the fans forum on Monday that there was only one bid in.

I think he is talking about prospective bids and serious interest rather than actual bids in the article.

and Ashley has indicated that he will not invest further in the team if he remains in situ for January’s transfer window,

Hmm...... invest more than his massive £0..... I don't see how he could. :jesuswept:

and Ashley has indicated that he will not invest further in the team if he remains in situ for January’s transfer window,

Hmm...... invest more than his massive £0..... I don't see how he could. :jesuswept:

Don't forget the moving feast that became the debts. Ashley must be the daftest billionaire on the planet. I really think he is just a bit fick.

Don't forget the moving feast that became the debts. Ashley must be the daftest billionaire on the planet. I really think he is just a bit fick.

Anyone that thinks they can sell a club for £480m that they bought for £234m (which was overpriced) and then borked beyond the impressive borkitude of the prior regiem, I wonder if they can spell their own name. :lol:

Anyone that thinks they can sell a club for £480m that they bought for £234m (which was overpriced) and then borked beyond the impressive borkitude of the prior regiem, I wonder if they can spell their own name. :lol:

It just shows that success (financial) is probably 90% luck.

Anyone that thinks they can sell a club for £480m that they bought for £234m (which was overpriced) and then borked beyond the impressive borkitude of the prior regiem, I wonder if they can spell their own name. :icon_lol:

It's so unfair Parky. You just never got the breaks... :lol:

Anyone that thinks they can sell a club for £480m that they bought for £234m (which was overpriced) and then borked beyond the impressive borkitude of the prior regiem, I wonder if they can spell their own name. :D

It's so unfair Parky. You just never got the breaks... :icon_lol:

:lol:

Do you believe that £480m price tag? Does anyone believe it ?? More press bullshit iyam.

Do you believe that £480m price tag? Does anyone believe it ?? More press bullshit iyam.

Yes I think he'd try for it, he's a gambler, and even if some then offered £350m he'd still make a massive profit.

The unfortunate reality is that our £200m independent evaluation is probably looking a bit steep, and if he's not careful a £34m loss might something he wishes he'd taken.