Giant database plan 'Orwellian'

Fop

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm ganna take a Thor type hammer to it. If I can find it... :lol:

Well it'll soon becoming to a bus/train seat near you. :jesuswept:

I think there are a lot of people on here that watch too much star trek.

I think you should talk to your Grandparents. :icon_lol:

That's the thing that makes me laugh about stuff like this.

People simply laugh it off, ''It's crazy, your off on the merry-go-round with David Icke, It's not 1984'' etc etc.

And whilst they are on their high horse they are oblivious to the fact things like this are actually happening.

DNA Databases, serious levels of surveillance and talking CCTV's cameras...

Oh and don't forget the government removing various ''There will not be a boom and bust cycle' statements from their website... :jesuswept:

For what it's worth, I couldn't give a shit if there is a database. I have a birth certificate, a passport, dental and medical records, marriage certificate, driving licence and various professional certificates, so the authorities know all about me by now. The fact that my DNA could be found somewhere without me not having a good alibi for not being responsible for a crime concerns me not.

Maybe I am missing the point, I can accept that, but the pro's outweigh the cons imo. However, as always, my point of view can be changed without the need to be entrenched in one position and use it as an excuse to mock, ridicule and slag off others with a conflicting view (unlike a hell of a lot of people on here and N-O it seems).

People simply laugh it off, ''It's crazy, your off on the merry-go-round with David Icke, It's not 1984'' etc etc.

And whilst they are on their high horse they are oblivious to the fact things like this are actually happening.

Oh and don't forget the government removing various ''There will not be a boom and bust cycle' statements from their website... :jesuswept:

And what have they used this for? Catching criminals? Evil, evil I tell thee.

Why would it be in the governments interest to to anything nefarious with this data?

Create a genetic superace? I think thats been tried before, didnt work out TBH.

Like all new technology, ie finger prints, CCTV etc all the neophobes stamp around a get in a panic.

If every criminal knew there was a good chance of getting caught and the sentence would be harsh...crime IMO would drastically reduce.

For what it's worth, I couldn't give a shit if there is a database. I have a birth certificate, a passport, dental and medical records, marriage certificate, driving licence and various professional certificates, so the authorities know all about me by now. The fact that my DNA could be found somewhere without me not having a good alibi for not being responsible for a crime concerns me not.

Maybe I am missing the point, I can accept that, but the pro's outweigh the cons imo. However, as always, my point of view can be changed without the need to be entrenched in one position and use it as an excuse to mock, ridicule and slag off others with a conflicting view (unlike a hell of a lot of people on here and N-O it seems).

Totally missing the point, but that is cause they bring these things through by stealth and people not looking don't realise what is going on.

Of course all those things you mention have bits of info about you...But for instance your doc records are very difficult for others to see without proper legal redress....The diff with the id card is it will amalgamate everything and be visible even at some point to bank clerks. Everything about you..If you don't mind that then fine.

Why would it be in the governments interest to to anything nefarious with this data?

Like all new technology, ie finger prints, CCTV etc all the neophobes stamp around a get in a panic.

If every criminal knew there was a good chance of getting caught and the sentence would be harsh...crime IMO would drastically reduce.

What you don't understand about Govt is that to them everyone is the enemy.

Oh and don't forget the government removing various ''There will not be a boom and bust cycle' statements from their website... :lol:

Personal Freedom :jesuswept:

Totally missing the point, but that is cause they bring these things through by stealth and people not looking don't realise what is going on.

Of course all those things you mention have bits of info about you...But for instance your doc records are very difficult for others to see without proper legal redress....The diff with the id card is it will amalgamate everything and be visible even at some point to bank clerks. Everything about you..If you don't mind that then fine.

:jesuswept: Probably.

Bringing these things in by stealth? Of course they are, the fuckin database has over four million entries already! What's a few more?? :lol:

Regarding the id card, I think it was on here (maybe someone told me, I can't recall) the revelation that the card one is given in a hotel to open the door with has all your details encripted on it - nothing is secret anymore !!!

I just think we're pissing against the wind in trying to stop all this lot. By some means or other the details will be recorded and some terrorists, rapists and other scumbags will get locked up by using it.

Oh and don't forget the government removing various ''There will not be a boom and bust cycle' statements from their website... :lol:

Personal Freedom :jesuswept:

Freedom to do what? If you going to go round raping people then you deserve no freedom, if you are going to go round pissing in doorways after a few shants then Im not sure the government are going to get on your case.

:lol: Oh dear.

I think you should talk to your Grandparents. :lol:

Welcome to the list.

That would in fact be THE POINT I was making. :jesuswept:

Trust me, my list is a lot more sinister and deadly than anything the government has.

I think you should talk to your Grandparents. :lol:

Welcome to the list.

That would in fact be THE POINT I was making. :jesuswept:

Trust me, my list is a lot more sinister and deadly than anything the government has.

Do you use barcode tattoos too?

:lol: Oh dear.

You do understand that whilst democracy is (IMO) the best system around, it's basically controlled/channelled corruption/self-interest, don't you?

Without VERY strong and rigorously reinforced safeguards, democracy becomes tyranny very quickly.

Personal freedom and privacy (and the right to say no/fuck off) is at the very heart of that.

Voting for your Government, or against them, that is a very good thing. Blindly trusting them however is very, very stupid thing - at best they are self-serving idiots, at worst they are self-serving geniuses.

(although it is what most politicians rely on - take Blair, he's hidden and lied about all manner of thing, many obvious from the off, many coming out now. Or Brown? No...... More...... Boom...... And...... Bust? :jesuswept: ).

Freedom to do what? If you going to go round raping people then you deserve no freedom, if you are going to go round pissing in doorways after a few shants then Im not sure the government are going to get on your case.

Do you understand how DNA testing works? In many ways it is less like to be unique than a fingerprint, when you get in to low copy and partial matches (which is what most crimes will give) it becomes even worse (look at the McCann's).

With the current 4,500,000 people on the data base it is already a statistical certainty that 1000's of people will be accused of things they didn't do due to false positives, never mind DNA that is actually theirs, but nothing to do with the crime, or just pure clerical error.

But none of that is really the issue with DNA, the issue is that your DNA is your ultimate privacy it is absolutely YOU (literally) and as such giving anyone the "right" to own you is a very, very dangerous path to take.

As I said once the human genome is fully understood, it will be pretty simple to scan for defects and flaw (or favourable qualities) - that isn't science fiction many of those flaws and qualities can be picked up now.

Out of interest if the technology comes along to allow the Government, Police or McDonald's to read your thoughts, will that be "ok" too?

After all if you have nothing to hide then there's no reason why you should.

ha ha what a bunch of losers.

You know I thought you were a clever troll. But you're not. :jesuswept:

No offence Fop but the wild childish paranoid fantasies within this thread desreve nothing better.

You know I thought you were a clever troll. But you're not. :lol:

No offence Fop but the wild childish paranoid fantasies within this thread desreve nothing better.

Like I said, I thought you were a clever troll, but you're not.

And what are the "fantasises"? That a DNA database is being compiled by stealth? It is. That the said 6 times in parliament it would NOT be used for trawling? And now it is. That all the "safeguards" YOU thought existed actually do not? They don't.

You're not even a troll, you're just a moron and I don't believe you're Jewish either. :jesuswept:

This has gotten away from the OP. I must admit I find that issue pretty sinister. Regarding the DNA database, I don't think anyone has a problem with it in priniciple but the way in which it is being compiled and the people who get put on it is certainly cause for concern. The sort of stuff Danny has come out with, i.e. what's the odd person being inconvenienced set against all the rapists and murderers it will catch is, imo anyway, exactly what the authorities want people to think in order to, at some future point, have everybody in the country on it. Exactly what it will be used for in the future - who can say? And as Fop points out, the government has already lied about what it will be used for and moved the goalposts about who goes on it. We have to be very careful about what rights we give away in this country because when you think about lots of areas, it really is scary to think of the way civil liberties are being eroded. Not just in this matter and the one in the OP but basic things like the right to protest plus the amount of CCTV surveillance and so on. The 'if you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to worry about' is the sort of attitude that will allow this to continue at the current rate. It's all being done by stealth as well.

You know I thought you were a clever troll. But you're not. :icon_lol:

Like I said, I thought you were a clever troll, but you're not.

And what are the "fantasises"? That a DNA database is being compiled by stealth? It is. That the said 6 times in parliament it would NOT be used for trawling? And now it is. That all the "safeguards" YOU thought existed actually do not? They don't.

You're not even a troll, you're just a moron and I don't believe you're Jewish either. :lol:

:jesuswept: