Kinnear: I'd stay for life.

Jimbo

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear has explained the reasons behind his foul-mouthed outburst at a news conference earlier this month.

Kinnear, 61, swore more than 50 times at reporters but told BBC 5 Live: "It's the language I have grown up with.

"I'm not trying to be something I'm not. I grew up on a council estate in Watford."

Kinnear, whose appointment as interim manager of the struggling Premier League club was greeted with shock, claimed he was upset at his treatment in the media.

And he hit out at newspaper journalists that he believed had ridiculed him and tried to undermine his position.

The former Wimbledon boss added: "I come from a one-parent family. My dad died when I was young and my mum brought up five on a council estate.

"There were an awful lot of characters at Wimbledon in the 10 years that I was there for it.

"There were things that had to be said and I don't know how to say them any other way than to tell them straight how it is."

Kinnear added that the international break has given him time to find his feet on Tyneside - and that he would stay at the club "for life" if given the chance.

"The break has given me the chance to get some key players back, like Obafemi Martins," he said.

"It's given me a good chance to take stock of what I've got, work with the players and get to know them better. I've got a good feeling about the place, too.

"Maybe I've brought new ideas into the club, but I like to keep everything simple.

"I'd stay here for life if I could. It's a massive club and I want to be part of it."

i like what he says. Even his first interview he told us more in 10 minutes than the club did for a week. He seems to be a honest, motivational, football man so he has the basics unfortunatley long term the basics are not good enough. Here we go; I would say Keegan is similar but of a higher class.

i like what he says. Even his first interview he told us more in 10 minutes than the club did for a week. He seems to be a honest, motivational, football man so he has the basics unfortunatley long term the basics are not good enough. Here we go; I would say Keegan is similar but of a higher class.

Joe was a very canny short term appointment but that's all it should be IMO. I've always liked the bloke though, if he steadies the ship here - which I'm sure he will - he should be set for another decent job somewhere. Good luck to the fella.

Joe was a very canny short term appointment but that's all it should be IMO. I've always liked the bloke though, if he steadies the ship here - which I'm sure he will - he should be set for another decent job somewhere. Good luck to the fella.

What worries me is Ashley being unable to sell/unwilling to drop his profit margin enough to sell, and Kinnear actually being here for life (whether his or the club is open to debate).

Baggio should be happy though, much better than Keegan. :jesuswept:

Although that was obviously a lie, given last night he was saying he had no clue about what was happening. When he first came he said a buyer was lined-up who would re-install KK as manager. I don't blame Kinnear for that really btw. And I think he's a good bloke.

Although that was obviously a lie, given last night he was saying he had no clue about what was happening. When he first came he said a buyer was lined-up who would re-install KK as manager. I don't blame Kinnear for that really btw. And I think he's a good bloke.

He was probably fed it by the same BS machine that employed Keegan.

He was probably fed it by the same BS machine that employed Keegan.

I think his body language suggested he knew it was rubbish but what else he could he do really other than toe the party line?

He cloaked himself behind those comments quite well, anticipating a negative welcome.

I've said before that I always liked the guy. I am desperate for him to do a good job here so he can shove it right up those press scumbags (and all his detractors really).

Did he lie about the prospective buyers? Possibly. Then again, maybe he was just repeating what he had been told, even thought he suspected it was just bullshit? He was just cock-a-hoop to have a chance at managing such a great club and would say black was white if asked to.

I wonder whose stock would be higher if JFK does do a good job here; his or Allardyce's?? Which one would clubs feel more likely to appoint ? I know which I would go for.

This is the latest plan of attack in the "slowly make the fans realise we're not selling" campaign. I've said all along Kinnear was a smokescreen and I think he's testing the waters here to see how the fans react to a contract extension (and by...extension...a prolonging of Ashley's time here.)

Don't get too comfortable Joe...

This is the latest plan of attack in the "slowly make the fans realise we're not selling" campaign. I've said all along Kinnear was a smokescreen and I think he's testing the waters here to see how the fans react to a contract extension (and by...extension...a prolonging of Ashley's time here.)

How dark does this abyss get?

We've got nothing better than JFK at this point in time, not an ideal situation but who would want to devote their time to an Ashley regime, not many?

In the 10 minutes JFK talked bullshit fed by Cashley and continues to do so, I agree a smokescreen to try and get us on-side. I also think this is simply deflecting or an attempt to deflect the real issues, IMO he will be here for a while yet, they are going nowhere. Regardless, we still have to give the team our full support and boycott everything financially Cashley.

It's clear now that Ashley intends to run the club into the ground and put it out of existance even if it means him losing every penny he's spent on it

It's clear now that Ashley intends to run the club into the ground and put it out of existance even if it means him losing every penny he's spent on it

Bollocks.

If Ashley did that I would personally murder him.

Plus he's a shrewd twat I doubt he wants to lose even a penny.

Bollocks.

If Ashley did that I would personally murder him.

Plus he's a shrewd twat I doubt he wants to lose even a penny.

He's a gambler. He will gamble (and has/is gambling) the future of the club versus a pretty substantial profit. I think he'll either get it (not the £480m, but maybe £50-80m on his outlay) or we'll go down the plug hole.

We've got nothing better than JFK at this point in time, not an ideal situation but who would want to devote their time to an Ashley regime, not many?

In the 10 minutes JFK talked bullshit fed by Cashley and continues to do so, I agree a smokescreen to try and get us on-side. I also think this is simply deflecting or an attempt to deflect the real issues, IMO he will be here for a while yet, they are going nowhere. Regardless, we still have to give the team our full support and boycott everything financially Cashley.

yup!

Ashley has us by the short and cockneys

JFK's now telling Cashley that we need to spend in January - doh! Message is that we need at least 5 players - doh! Is it more of his subtle way of saying we're here for a while yet?

It's also exactly what Keegan was saying before he had Milner sold behind his back and the Spanish Shola drafted in.

Kinnear - Magpies need five more

Interim boss determined to stay for as long as possible

Last updated: 18th October 2008

Joe Kinnear Newcastle

Kinnear: Eager to enjoy it

Joe Kinnear believes the Newcastle United squad will need strengthening with five new players in January.

Former Wimbledon boss Kinnear is in interim charge of the Magpies while owner Mike Ashley tries to sell the club.

Kinnear is eager to stake his claim for the job on a long-term basis and feels he is starting to get competition for places.

However, irrespective of who owns the club or manages the team come January, Kinnear insists the Newcastle squad needs improving.

"Does the squad need strengthening? Without a shadow of doubt," said Kinnear.

"I would say we need five players. We are starting now, for the first time since I've been here, to analyse and make a list of areas we need to improve.

"We are also getting players back, key players, and might have a bit of competition for places.

"The squad more or less picked itself because of the backlog of injuries when I arrived.

"I would be happy to stay here for life if I could. I would love to be part of it.

"It is the biggest club I have been in charge of. I am going to enjoy it and stake a claim for the future."