Ticket Touting

The Fish

If he puts the ticket on ebay for a reasonable starting price (e.g £20) and people pay more that isn't touting at all.

Ebay is a direct and easy way of selling things, what's the alternative?

And if there is an alternative why should paws go out of his way to lose money he could have been making in a time when nobody really has any? :jesuswept:

lose money? like i said isn't losing any, he's just not gaining money he should never have had, and not ripping off some poor git in the process who may have got that ticket if they hadn't of accidentally bought it.

Could easily start it at 20£ with a buy it now of face value as well couldn't he

Or use free ad "things for sale" in the local rag, we've loads of things like that here

anyways wrong thread for pages of debate on ticket touting

If I had a rare car part and took it to a traders fare, then people were clamouring for it, I'd be a mug to sell it for £30 to the first person who shouwed up. Why does he deserve it more than the third of fourth prospective buyer? The last guy might have every single part for his dream car bar this, while the first guy is buying it to sell on at an inflated price..

I get why you hate "touting", I just don't think that this is that.

Well it's relative in a sense.

If Paws puts it on Ebay there is a chance he could lose money if he puts it up for a fair starting price.

If people want to pay more that's fair play as 'Face Value' doesn't necessarily represent the true value of the ticket to some people.

Well it's relative in a sense.

If Paws puts it on Ebay there is a chance he could lose money if he puts it up for a fair starting price.

If people want to pay more that's fair play as 'Face Value' doesn't necessarily represent the true value of the ticket to some people.

I was suggesting the starting price be the price Paws paid for it. If people want to pay more than that, that's entirely their decision.

If Paws went out of his was to deliberately buy a load of tickets he didn't want just to make a profit then he may have been a bit of a knob but didn't he get an extra one by accident? Fair play in that case.

In these times of uncertainty and financial insecurity our morals need to take a step back and we have to do what is right for our wallets.

Or he has the chance to make some ££££ so fuck it.

Its an odd one tbh

I dont class it as touting yet at the same time Im happy to enforce the rule that selling tickets on here for matches are done at face value or less therefore its hypocritical to say its different because its an ACDC ticket (which personally I wouldnt give you a penny for). Maybe I see that as something different because its Newcastle fans, I dont know.

If I had a spare ticket for a gig and someone offered me double its value then I'd take it, Id be daft to say "nah you're ok just give me twenty". To go out of my way and purposefully buy it however with the express intention of selling it on at a profit would be touting though (imho).

If Paws advertises it at face value how does he know that the person buying it isnt a tout whos going to flog it outside and make a couple of hundred quid profit? Surely in that respect its better that Paws makes something out of it?

Well if it was a moral issue he could put it on 'Buy It Now' but that would cost him more in Ebay fees and he would make a small loss :jesuswept:

could cover his costs with the delivery charge etc thats not in question

as for the car part scenario

theres a difference between a produced non limited item that could well come up again that has been constantly in play and has appreciated and depreciated in value over it's lifetime

(like an antique)

and a limited event that is a one time thing that can never be resold, or held for value for a long period of time, and will have no value after a certain period of time

If the item is sufficiently rare how do you know you'll find it again? In effect it's a one off chance for that item.

I think basically you've been stung by touts in the past or something similar, made a rash and generalised statement and are now so entrenched in obduracy you won't agree that your original swipe was a gut reaction rather than a considered opinion.

On the Elevation tour I ended up with 2 or 4 tickets for all 4 nights for U2 at Earls Court (pre-sale to u2.com registrees) - I exhausted the mates option for all of them except one spare on one night. When I arrived at the tube station I still hadn't really made my mind up what I was going to do with it but I saw the scum (touts) up to their tricks and thought sod it, I'd rather just chuck it away rather than sell it to one of those for another fan to be ripped off. Then I noticed a lass on the point of tears arguing with a tout as he was trying to charge her something ridiculous so asked her if she wanted one for face value. I sold her the ticket which resulted in me having to enter football head down and get the fuck out of there mode as the touts weren't happy.

There are many ways to sell tickets at face value. Anyone who tries to make money on them (incidental/accidental or not) is a piece of shit imo.

I don't see any problem here, he has a spare ticket and is going to sell if for what it's worth, what's the big deal?

The argument that really pisses me off is the 'I'm a huge fan but couldn't get a ticket' line. If you're that big a fan you'd be on Ticketmaster or down the local music shop as soon as they went on sale and for 95% of gigs you'd have no problem getting a ticket.

Ticket touts simply take advantage of supply and demand, anyone who dislikes them is a commie. Fact. :jesuswept:

Ticket touts simply take advantage of supply and demand, anyone who dislikes them is a commie. Fact. :jesuswept:

Yes but at the same time "professional" Touts tend to be drug dealers/burglars/fences - if you're happy financing the utter dregs of society than fair enough.

Of course somebody selling a spare is semi-forgiveable despite what I said above but the pros are fucking scum.

Yes but at the same time "professional" Touts tend to be drug dealers/burglars/fences - if you're happy financing the utter dregs of society than fair enough.

Source?

Source?

Experience of many, many gigs.

So no source then.

Assuming for a moment that you are right then would you rather they were selling tickets or out breaking into houses and peddling drugs?

It doesn't matter - that's what they are doing the rest of the week.

If you can't recognise basic types like the "dodgy geezers" who sell tickets at gigs I honestly don't know how you survive normal life. As a test why don;t you buy a pair of tickets for an upcoming gig and then try and sell them on their "patch" and see what happens.

I'm not saying they're model citizens but the point I'm making is that if they weren't selling tickets then they may be doing something even more morally questionable.

No one gets hurt by buying/selling tickets.

Edited by ewerk

I'm not saying they're model citizens but the point I'm making is that if they weren't selling tickets then they may be doing something even more morally questionable.

The two aren't mutually exclusive - touting is just one thing in their "portfolio" of schemes.

No one gets hurt by buying/selling tickets.

"Real" fans lose out - 4 years ago when The Pixies did their reunion tour they announced 2 shows at Brixton which sold out in a few minutes. The next day at 9:30 all of the ticket sites were updated with details of two more shows - the tickets for which had went on sale at 9:00 that day and had sold out to what must have been all touts/rip off agencies - of course this was an inside job which is why I recognise that promoters and venues are just as culpable and are hypocrites when they speak against it but the point remains.

Of course fans can "just go to ticketmaster/rip off agencies" as mentioned above which is fair enough but it doesn't make it "right".

"Real" fans lose out - 4 years ago when The Pixies did their reunion tour they announced 2 shows at Brixton which sold out in a few minutes. The next day at 9:30 all of the ticket sites were updated with details of two more shows - the tickets for which had went on sale at 9:00 that day and had sold out to what must have been all touts/rip off agencies - of course this was an inside job which is why I recognise that promoters and venues are just as culpable and are hypocrites when they speak against it but the point remains.

Of course fans can "just go to ticketmaster/rip off agencies" as mentioned above which is fair enough but it doesn't make it "right".

Whilst that is far from an ideal situation, in the end the tickets got to fans for what was the real market value.

Fans don't have a right to have these tickets, you pay the market price for them and if the price is too high then don't go.

If the item is sufficiently rare how do you know you'll find it again? In effect it's a one off chance for that item.

I think basically you've been stung by touts in the past or something similar, made a rash and generalised statement and are now so entrenched in obduracy you won't agree that your original swipe was a gut reaction rather than a considered opinion.

you may not find it again but there is more chance that you will than it never existing again after a certain date

and no i've never had to buy tickets at over face value actually

But you're not denying that you've boxed yourself into a corner and rather than admit that your initial reaction was over-generalised :jesuswept: