Sir Bobby on the plight of NUFC

Jimbo

There are all sorts of words you could use to describe what's happened at Newcastle and some have been vitriolic but the one I'd use to express what I feel is sadness. It's not just disappointing or outrageous or obnoxious, it's just sad how such a big, magnificent club could have reached this point.'

The words of Sir Bobby Robson, as he reflects on the demise of the team which has been in his heart since his father took him to St James' Park from their County Durham home more than 60 years ago.

If my dad had known I was going to be manager one day, he wouldn't have believed it. He'd have been so proud. He would have somersaulted all the way to the games.'

That was back in the 50s, and Robson went on to manage the club for five years from 1999 taking them from bottom of the Premier League to the Champions League.

'They were among the most marvellous years of my life,' the former England manager said this week.

'I never dreamed I would be manager there, but I loved it; loved every morning, every match, every moment of my time there.

'It was bottom when I took over and I mean bottom and everybody was afraid it was going to slip into the Championship. It's hard to envisage how the club has gone back to where it was and possibly worse.'

It is unfortunate for owner Mike Ashley and cohorts like Derek Llambias and Dennis Wise, who are responsible for the club's ugly mess, that Robson, who is still attending matches at St James' as he fights cancer for the fifth time, has just launched a new book entitled Newcastle: My Kind of Toon.

The intention is to celebrate his beloved club and city, and the North East where he and Elsie have enjoyed a semi-retirement which included a spell as Stephen Staunton's adviser with Ireland. But it is hard to be nostalgic when Newcastle United are in such dire straits.

Un-Wise move: Chairman Mike Ashley made a mistake in appointing Dennis Wise (centre) as Executive Director and allowing him to operate from London, says Sir Bobby.

He said: 'We live in a wonderful part of the world, we really do. The five years I had were brilliant and I enjoyed resurrecting a magnificent club that was bottom of the pile. To have been in charge of my father's club... 'phew!' Elsie and I have been very happy here, happy to be home. We love the north east and the people.

'On Saturday afternoons, you roll out there, look up into the stands and think 'Jeepers, I hope we win today for this lot'. It's a magnificent place. And it's those 52,000 I feel sorry for.

'They wear their hearts on their sleeves, they love the club, they appear come rain, shine, blow or snow. They're just magnificent people you work for and you just hope you can get them a great result to give them a great weekend. There's a passion here that's rare. You don't see it at many other clubs.

'In spite of the way it is, we must be the envy of clubs like Fulham, Blackburn, Everton, Liverpool.'

His heckles rise over the Kevin Keegan issue. Bullish as ever, as he takes on his latest health challenge after he was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer, Robson is at the forefront of the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation which has already raised more than £700,000 for North East based NHS cancer projects. In the summer, he gave a cheque for £500,000 to the Freeman Hospital to equip their Sir Bobby Robson Cancer Trials Research Centre.

But you will never get him away from St James'. Robson was convinced one former Manchester City manager would be in charge of Newcastle when the two sides meet on Monday night, but Keegan's unhappy departure has deprived Newcastle of yet another manager, denying any slim chance of stability until Ashley departs.

That could come sooner rather than later, as investment banker Keith Harris prepares to announce significant news on a deal this week, but understandably Robson can only reflect on years of mismanagement, which have culminated in the disastrous Ashley reign.

Robson, who regrettably refused to quit Barcelona when first offered the chance to succeed Keegan in 1997, said: 'I felt that lift, the emotion, when Kevin was appointed. On that day, the whole city was enraptured, everyone was excited and thought that the Messiah had returned, that it might take a little while, but he'd get it right.

'Everyone thought he'd have a great relationship with Mike Ashley, he'd been given a three-year contract so the club would back him, they'd find the money and he'd run. It was a shock, but it felt like an inspired choice. I thought to myself 'this is it now'.

'But then they threw a spanner in the works by appointing Dennis Wise and he operates from London. The mistake was bringing people in who aren't attuned to the club and who worked at the opposite end of the country. And whether Dennis has got the skill and expertise and experience in that field is very doubtful.

'They've brought in people like Xisco and Gonzalez and when I first saw them I thought 'Oh my God! How are they going to play in the Premier League? Who's responsible for buying those players? Who saw them play? When did they see them? How many times and where are the scouting reports?' I think it's wrong and potentially a waste of money.'

Robson would welcome Keegan's return under new owners, and still believes Alan Shearer can manage the club one day. He does need an experienced guiding hand, however, and it is one of the great travesties of the Robson era that the two did not establish that relationship before his own untidy exit.

His advice to the new owners?

'Successful football clubs are all about successful relationships and you don't get that overnight. It takes time and continuity; you can't do it in six months.

Over to you Alan: Sir Bobby can see his former striker Alan Shearer one day taking on the manager's role at Newcastle - but an experienced guiding hand will be needed to support him.

'Freddy Shepherd and I didn't have such a bad relationship. We never rowed. He never wanted to know what the team was and he never interfered one iota. In that sense, I had quite a good rapport with him.

'The trouble is, since I left, success didn't come that readily and before you know where you are, they've changed their manager again.

'Graeme Souness followed me and lasted a year and a bit. Then they gave it to Glenn Roeder and he got about the same. Then Sam Allardyce and Kevin came in and got a few months each. It's just gone horribly wrong. Newcastle needs a top-class manager and without that man, they won't succeed. It's their only salvation. Simple as that. The appointment of a top manager is crucial. He's the puppet master, he pulls the strings.

'It's like the captain of a ship; with a good captain, the ship sails, without one, it doesn't. Whether Kevin will come back, they give it to Alan, a combination of the two or someone else entirely, I don't know. But the most crucial decision is not so much who buys it, although that's vitally important, but who the manager is.

'We've just lost that stability at Newcastle and the quicker the club is sold and the proper people are put in charge and the right amount of money is made available to spend on the team to improve it, the better it will be.

'All the big, successful clubs have got top men, top managers, who know the game, can impart that knowledge, who are a good judge of a player, a good tactician, an enthusiast, who gets on with the players and knows how to handle big players and discipline them.

'You need that sort of manager and without that sort of manager, you will not run a big club. He needs all those attributes and assets. All the top managers have it: Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, I'd like to think I was one of them. And it takes time. I was at Newcastle for five years and it took two years to get it together. And then we finished third, fourth and fifth and then they sacked me.'

As much as I love the man, I was glad to see him leave, but just wish he'd been adequately replaced and allowed to leave with dignity.

As much as I love the man, I was glad to see him leave, but just wish he'd been adequately replaced and allowed to leave with dignity.

should never have been sacked

the problem is, he would never have left.

They should have moved him upstairs really

They should have moved him upstairs really

I don't think he'd have even agreed to that.

should have been given more time to turn the bad start to the season round, (which he probably would have).

should have been given more time to turn the bad start to the season round, (which he probably would have).

totally. i could never understand why so many wanted him out. look how shite we've been since we sacked him. worst decision ever

I beg to differ. Unfortunately he had completely lost the dressing room and the respect of players with over-inflated egos who had no right to disrespect him.

I beg to differ. Unfortunately he had completely lost the dressing room and the respect of players with over-inflated egos who had no right to disrespect him.

Agreed.

He never lost the players, it was the fans who fucked off as if fifth wasn't good enough for them. If a player knows the fans don't back the manager, they're bound to take the piss. I was disgusted with our support at the end of his last full season.

He should've been moved aside in the summer so we could bring someone in. Liverpool fucked off Houllier and they were only just above us in the league, we should've done the same thing.

This tbh.

Unashamedley sentimental to USA standards but I am at work bored crapless.

A wounded team was limping home one dark and rainy day.

They left their hero on the bench they didn’t let them play.

When all at once a shout went up a makem goal was scored.

A city hung its head in shame and inside they roared.

And then a sillouette appeared above the city sky.

A manager of untold class a proud and noble guy.

He’d taken teams to glory in countries far and wide.

And now he had come home at last to lead this team to pride.

Yippy yi yo Yippy yi yay

Sir Bobby comes to save the day

Yippy yi yo Yippy yi yay

Sir Bobby comes to save the day

He picked up this broken shattered club like a young chick in his hand.

And brought them back to winning ways all around the land.

Under his brave leadership the city again thrives.

The fans will not forget this man for all of their lives.

Yippy yi yay yippy yi yo

We were sad to see him go

Yippy yi yay yippy yi yo

We were sad to see him go

'They've brought in people like Xisco and Gonzalez and when I first saw them I thought 'Oh my God! How are they going to play in the Premier League? Who's responsible for buying those players? Who saw them play? When did they see them? How many times and where are the scouting reports?' I think it's wrong and potentially a waste of money.'

Interesting comments since he signed Cordone, Bassedas, Gavilan and Acuna on the word of Mick Wadsworth, all four of them were fucking rubbish.

'Freddy Shepherd and I didn't have such a bad relationship. We never rowed. He never wanted to know what the team was and he never interfered one iota. In that sense, I had quite a good rapport with him.

Except when he sold Gary Speed without telling you, tried to sell Bowyer to Spurs without your knowledge and refused to sign Carrick, insisting he moved for Butt instead even though they cost roughly the same amount.

Interesting comments since he signed Cordone, Bassedas, Gavilan and Acuna on the word of Mick Wadsworth, all four of them were fucking rubbish.

Except when he sold Gary Speed without telling you, tried to sell Bowyer to Spurs without your knowledge and refused to sign Carrick, insisting he moved for Butt instead even though they cost roughly the same amount.

Because nobody ever gets signings wrong. And I'm sure none of our current signings will turn out to be crap. Good job you remember Bobby's reign better than he does, even though he was there. Maybe he's going senile or the chemo's affected his memory :jesuswept:

to be fair Sir Bobby's bad signings together amounted to like 2.5m possibly even lower compared to what they've just paid for xisco...

Acuna was the most expensive at around 900k from what i remember

Cort? Viana?

I love Sir Bobby and I'm sorry that he's not well but we shouldn't make a saint of him. He did a fantastic job but as I've said before, it took him an awful long time to want to manage us....

to be fair Sir Bobby's bad signings together amounted to like 2.5m possibly even lower compared to what they've just paid for xisco...

Acuna was the most expensive at around 900k from what i remember

Cort? Viana?

I love Sir Bobby and I'm sorry that he's not well but we shouldn't make a saint of him. He did a fantastic job but as I've said before, it took him an awful long time to want to manage us....

A lot of clubs were after Viana iirc, it was viewed as a real coup to sign him at the time. There's no excuse for Carl Cort however :jesuswept:

you should read his autobiography, he only had words of praise for carl cort, the poor kid just had injury after injury...

most of what he says is right though.

Wasn't it Carl Cort's missus who was involved with a check out rage incident at Morrisons? :jesuswept: