Sir Bobby on the plight of NUFC

Jimbo

Interesting comments since he signed Cordone, Bassedas, Gavilan and Acuna on the word of Mick Wadsworth, all four of them were fucking rubbish.

It's funny how "both sides" in the structure wars are exaggerating players qualities or lack there of - something I admit to to a certain extent.

Acuna was not fucking rubbish.

As much as I love the man, I was glad to see him leave, but just wish he'd been adequately replaced and allowed to leave with dignity.

should never have been sacked

the problem is, he would never have left.

Yeah that is true, still he should never have been so systematically undermined, and frankly should have been given the rest of that season.

I know football is all ifs, buts and maybes but we'd probably have won the Uefa Cup that year because we'd have had Bellamy and Robert playing.

Didnt bobby only lose the dressing room when Fat Freddie announced they wouldnt be renewing his contract?

That was a huge part of the reason, i'm sure. The likes of Dyer and Jenas simply weren't interested in playing for him after Fat Fred publically made a fool out of the bloke.

Like I said, he should've gone in the summer before his eventual departure. Because we waited until four games into the season we were unable to get anyone of real quality and ended up with a manager who was on the brink of getting sacked anyway.

As someone said before, Acuna was far from "fucking rubbish".

Yes, he made some signings that never really excelled, but what manager in the Premier League hasn't?

The man is an absolute legend tbh, and every word he has said in the past few months has been spot on. He knows how the club should be run and if only we could find someone like him to take over this mess.

I wonder how those supporters that fucked off after the Wolves game when we went on to finish a "disappointing" 5th, would feel if we came anywhere near 5th this season, or any season in the next 4-5 seasons in fact.

Basically said he wasn't a kindly old Gent who got on with everyone, as seen by the constant subbing of Solano and the 'fingers in ears' gesture he made to the fans when they were audibly unhappy about it.

Edited by Ketsbaia

'All the big, successful clubs have got top men, top managers, who know the game, can impart that knowledge, who are a good judge of a player, a good tactician, an enthusiast, who gets on with the players and knows how to handle big players and discipline them.

'You need that sort of manager and without that sort of manager, you will not run a big club. He needs all those attributes and assets. All the top managers have it: Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, I'd like to think I was one of them. And it takes time. I was at Newcastle for five years and it took two years to get it together. And then we finished third, fourth and fifth and then they sacked me.'

I hope Freddie Shepherd is reading this and that bit sticks in his throat.

Sure, SBR came off the rails a bit in the end and his time as our manager was drawing to a close, but the big failing was not invoking some sort of handover to a new manager - instead, they just pushed him out of the door and with it, our form evaporated.

'All the big, successful clubs have got top men, top managers, who know the game, can impart that knowledge, who are a good judge of a player, a good tactician, an enthusiast, who gets on with the players and knows how to handle big players and discipline them.

'You need that sort of manager and without that sort of manager, you will not run a big club. He needs all those attributes and assets. All the top managers have it: Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, I'd like to think I was one of them. And it takes time. I was at Newcastle for five years and it took two years to get it together. And then we finished third, fourth and fifth and then they sacked me.'

I hope Freddie Shepherd is reading this and that bit sticks in his throat.

Sure, SBR came off the rails a bit in the end and his time as our manager was drawing to a close, but the big failing was not invoking some sort of handover to a new manager - instead, they just pushed him out of the door and with it, our form evaporated.

The main culprit was Dougie Hall though, wasn't he? Weren't his words "with Robson we would have got relegated"? Numpty.

Edited by Isegrim

Basically said he wasn't a kindly old Gent who got on with everyone, as seen by the constant subbing of Solano and the 'fingers in ears' gesture he made to the fans when they were audibly unhappy about it.

He's not, he could be quite ruthless (as, of course, could Keegan), but you need that in a manager (and a bit of arrogance too), they are there to manage not be everyone's best friend (even Keegan with his friendly motivational style).

He was on a collision course with Shearer at the time too, which I don't think helped the dressing room, and although Shearer continued to perform for the next couple of seasons Robson might well have been right about how he was starting to use and rest him.

Interesting comments since he signed Cordone, Bassedas, Gavilan and Acuna on the word of Mick Wadsworth, all four of them were fucking rubbish.

It's funny how "both sides" in the structure wars are exaggerating players qualities or lack there of - something I admit to to a certain extent.

Acuna was not fucking rubbish.

Acuna falls into the same category as Sibierski and Ketsbaia, all cult heroes and were better than expected but they were all still shite.

As much as I love the man, I was glad to see him leave, but just wish he'd been adequately replaced and allowed to leave with dignity.

should never have been sacked

the problem is, he would never have left.

should have been given more time to turn the bad start to the season round, (which he probably would have).

I beg to differ. Unfortunately he had completely lost the dressing room and the respect of players with over-inflated egos who had no right to disrespect him.

He never lost the players, it was the fans who fucked off as if fifth wasn't good enough for them. If a player knows the fans don't back the manager, they're bound to take the piss. I was disgusted with our support at the end of his last full season.

Debatable, there was rumours of picture with one of the young guns sticking his fingers up behind his back.

I reckon he'd also lost the likes of Shearer by the time he went (not least because he was prepared to sell him) which probably gave the likes of Dyer, Jenas and Bellamy carte blanche to take the piss.

And Acuna was a good player btw. And I don't even think he fits into what you would call 'cult status' either. More of a decent player kept out by the likes of Gary Speed.

Acuna was a very good player. Never got a decent crack at the first team as the likes of Lee, Speed, Dyer, Jenas etc all were ahead of him. Hardly made him a shit player though - that was the days we had some depth to the squad.

He'd be getting into the current XI easily now IMO.