Beye's red card = Rescinded

JaMoUsE

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And doesn't Poll have a really high opinion of himself as well? A bit like Jeff Winter in that he thinks he's a star in his own right.

Aye, regularly gets himself on 5 Live in the evenings.

I don't mind that in itself, it's more the way he's goes on. He's come across as a very arrogant bloke.

And doesn't Poll have a really high opinion of himself as well? A bit like Jeff Winter in that he thinks he's a star in his own right.

I don't mind that in itself, it's more the way he's goes on. He's come across as a very arrogant bloke.

He was on a flight back to Stansted I was on after we played Liverpool about 6 years ago and a couple of scousers had a chat with him - nothing dodgy just mild banter and it took me about 20 seconds to see he was at a level of arrogant wankerness which it would be hard to surpass for normal people - really thought he was a football star.

He was on a flight back to Stansted I was on after we played Liverpool about 6 years ago and a couple of scousers had a chat with him - nothing dodgy just mild banter and it took me about 20 seconds to see he was at a level of arrogant wankerness which it would be hard to surpass for normal people - really thought he was a football star.

Was it Poll or Winter (i cant distinguish as both are arrogant, self delluded cunts) who ended his final game as a ref a tiny bit early at Anfield and claimed part of the applause at the end was for him from the "knowledgeable Anfield crowd" or some other load of laughable bollocks. I'm thinking it was Winter though!

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Was it Poll or Winter (i cant distinguish as both are arrogant, self delluded cunts) who ended his final game as a ref a tiny bit early at Anfield and claimed part of the applause at the end was for him from the "knowledgeable Anfield crowd" or some other load of laughable bollocks. I'm thinking it was Winter though!

Aye, Jeff Winter B)

Think that was Winter - another fucking prick.

I saw him (Winter) in a restaurant in Forest Hall once. Nothing much interesting to report but you could tell he loved himself just by the way he carried himself. He was sat there looking around (in a not very subtle way) to see if anyone had clocked him. Proper fucking perma-tanned as well. Another one who thinks he's a celebrity.

Edited by alex

I was actually thinking the cliche last night in that millions of pounds worth of talent in an industry worth probably billions comes down the the competence of people barely beyond amateur - the thing is that's exactly what feeds their egos into making them think they are the stars of the show.

Another cliche is that a good ref is one you don't notice - that should be beaten into the twats like Styles.

I think they have to think about introducing video for special situations like last night and goal line decisions.

Just been talking about that with a jock client of mine who's a big rugby fan. Middle of the park ref full autonomy anything in the box video ref.

I think they have to think about introducing video for special situations like last night and goal line decisions.

Just been talking about that with a jock client of mine who's a big rugby fan. Middle of the park ref full autonomy anything in the box video ref.

As long as 'middle of the park' ref has a choice (his choice) to go to video, I don't see a problem with it. Of course Uefa and Fifa are going to find it harder manipulating competitions/suppressing African nations/ smaller clubs/ elite - masonic - pope driven - serieA - betting syndicates etc.... B)

Edited by Park Life

The Football Association's regulatory commission have confirmed they will meet on Thursday to consider Newcastle's appeal against Habib Beye's red card against Manchester City.

Beye was controversially dismissed after 14 minutes for a challenge on Brazilian forward Robinho, although replays suggested the United defender played the ball.

Magpies boss Joe Kinnear revealed he had asked referee Rob Styles to review the incident and the club have since formally appealed the player's ban with the FA.

The FA commission will announce their decision on Beye's appeal on Thursday.

If Beye fails to have his dismissal overturned he will serve a three-game ban meaning he will miss this weekend's Tyne-Wear derby with Sunderland.

He is certainly a twat but he's on our side on this one.

Newcastle United v Manchester City

AND THEN CAME MONDAY!!

My opening paragraph is thrown out the window following yet another Rob Styles penalty fiasco and the credibility of referees is sent spiralling downwards by his “mate” Graham Poll unbelievably defending him on Setanta.

Had this had been another ref, I am certain Poll would have been scathing over the awarding of a penalty but it was one of the few mates he has in the game so he skirted round the issue.

Instead, he talked about how it can still be a foul even if the ball is played first. In essence, that is correct but that is not what happened in this instance.

The ball was won clearly and any contact between defender and attacker was merely based on momentum. In fact, I am not convinced that there was any contact as the City player appeared to jump over the tackle.

The Laws state that a free kick/penalty should be awarded when the ball is played when the tackle is reckless, dangerous or with excessive force. This was clearly not like that.

From his position, Styles could not possibly have given a foul. He was fifteen yards behind play with a Newcastle player appearing to obliterate his view.

He would not have been able to assess accurately if Beye had got the ball or not. In essence he guessed, which is unbelievable especially for someone of his experience.

Styles has had quite a few penalty howlers over the last few seasons but being one of the blue eyed boys with the authorities, he usually gets away with it, as happened recently with the “non” penalty he gave for Manchester United against Bolton.

A usual ploy from Poll and his closest allies has been to let the assistant referee carry the can when the shit hits the fan but I cannot see how on this occasion he would have been involved at all in the penalty decision.

The bottom line is that a Newcastle side who are starting to show some fight were left to play well over an hour with only ten men and admirably got a point.

The stats show that they had little possession and Manchester City had tons more shots than them but on factual decisions, this should have been 2-1 to the Magpies and not a 2-2 draw.

Verdict: 2-1 to Newcastle instead of 2-2

http://www.jeffwinterentertainmentandmedia...oi/0809011.html

Edit: He's certainly bitter about something.

Edited by ewerk

His take on it

"In the end I played a little bit extra, waiting until play was at the Kop end, before sounding the final shrill blast - a bit like the Last Post. The fans behind the goal burst into spontaneous applause. It was longer and louder than normal, even for a big home win. Did they know it was my final visit? Was the applause for me? They are such knowledgeable football people, that it would not surprise me." B)

Quel supris! Daily Mail, Sky sports and Graham Poll all back styles.

Fuck's sake,

why o why is that twat `3 yellow` poll been given any platform to discuss how/what refs do ? blatently he has no grip on the rules - he should have been ostrasized and sent to the channel islands, or better still france. cernt.

The tackle was neither careless or reckless and so according to the laws of the game it should not have been punished - and certainly should not have been published with a Red Card.

The red card was for denying a goal scoring opportunity. It doesn't need to be reckless.

Fantastic point... B) Given made a save - OH NO - denying a goal scoring opportunity - SEND HIM OFF!

If you give a red card for a tackle for denying a goal scoring opportunity it has to be as a result of a careless or reckless tackle. The red card results from a more extreme iteration of what would normally be a foul - and for a tackle the laws of the game deem that to be a reckless or careless tackle. I'll say it again, that tackle was neither careless or reckless. Thereby there is no foul and it cannot be escalated to a red card, regardless of Beye's last man status.

No..

If the referee deems it to be a foul (which clearly he did), then that foul very definitely denied a goal scoring opportunity, as Robinho was about to shoot. In law if a player makes a foul tackle that denies another player a goal scoring opportunity (the presumption being the player would very likely have scored) then he is punished with a red card. The tackle does not need to be reckless.

I have been in a sililar situation where I have sent off a goalkeeper and awarded a penalty, and whilst I personally dont agree that punishing a team twice is fair, that is the law of the game.

On a different point...

A foul tackle deemed to be reckless is punishable by a red card.

A foul tackle deemed to be careless is punishable by a yellow card.

You say no, but then you essentially agree with me. :boogie:

My point is that there was no foul committed, thereby he can't be sent off.

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits

any of the following six offences in a manner considered by the referee

to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

• trips or attempts to trip an opponent

• jumps at an opponent

• charges an opponent

• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

• pushes an opponent

Certainly noone could argue that Beye's tackle was any of the above.

FIFAs rules of the game deem a Direct Free-Kick if a player:

- tackles an opponent to gain possession of the ball, making contact

with the opponent before touching the ball

The above can be the only decision that Styles was applying.

As for offenses that can be punishable by a Red Card:

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off and shown the red

card if he commits any of the following seven offences:

1. is guilty of serious foul play

2. is guilty of violent conduct

3. spits at an opponent or any other person

4. denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity

by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a

goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

5. denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving

towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick

or a penalty kick

6. uses offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

7. receives a second caution in the same match

A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off and

shown the red card must leave the vicinity of the fi eld of play and the

technical area.

In this instance therefore, it must be a case of Styles deeming (from a position where it was physically impossible for him to be able to tell) that Beye contacted Robinho first and went through him to get the ball. If this was the case, then yes Beye would have commited a foul, and in doing so he would have denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity. It was however, not the case.

Edited by OzToonFan

Styles ready to admit he got Beye call wrong

Alan Biggs The Guardian, Wednesday October 22 2008

Newcastle United are likely to succeed in having Habib Beye cleared for Saturday's north-east derby against Sunderland, with the referee Rob Styles expected to admit that he got a tight call wrong after examining replays of Beye's challenge on the Manchester City striker Robinho in Monday's 2-2 draw.

A further indication that Styles is perceived to have got a second high-profile penalty award in three weeks wrong came in the decision not to let him referee a Premier League game this weekend. Instead he will be fourth official at Stamford Bridge on Sunday for Chelsea's match with Liverpool, before returning to the middle in a Championship game between Bristol City and Sheffield United next Tuesday.

Newcastle's appeal over Beye's sending-off will be heard by the Football Association tomorrow. Refereeing sources maintain that Styles has not been dropped, with Beye's dismissal viewed as a misjudgment rather than a blatant mistake such as the penalty Styles recently gave Manchester United against Bolton, to whom he later apologised.

Meanwhile, Manchester City's manager, Mark Hughes, has been told that Micah Richards did not break a bone in his ankle at Newcastle on Monday, as had been feared. The defender has been diagnosed with strained ligaments, and will miss Sunday's match against Stoke.