Help needed

AgentFox

Mackem: Person born within site of the Wear. Definitions vary as follows, with the first definition being considered the most important:

: a) Anyone born within the boundaries of the original town of Sunderland, not including Washington and Houghton - le - Spring added later as parts of the City of Sunderland.

: B) Anyone born within the boundaries of the Borough or the City of Sunderland (Sunderland became a city in 1992), including Washington and Houghton-le-Spring.

: c) Anyone born within the boundaries of the city, plus Seaham, Murton, Easington and other places defined as being in the old East Durham Coalfields.

: d) Anyone born within site of the Wear, from the source up at Wearhead to the mouth of the river at Monkwearmouth. This therefore includes places such as Durham, Bishop Auckland, Wolsingham and Stanhope. Definitions of 'Mackem' mostly don't include these latter areas.

: The term is derived from Mack'em and Tack'em, dating from the early ship building industry (i.e. the people on Wearside 'mak[e] them' and other people 'tak[e] them') and started off as an insult to the people of Sunderland by the Geordies. In recent years, however, the people of Sunderland have taken the name to be part of their identity as Wearsiders.

send them a picture of Chopra

£5m for a newcastle reserve

B) Could have been worse!! £17 million for a crock..... :boogie:

Anyone got a picture of Casrten Fredgaard (the new improved Brian Laudrup), Tore Flo or indeed Lilian (aptly named) Laslandes?

Mackem: Person born within site of the Wear. Definitions vary as follows, with the first definition being considered the most important:

: a) Anyone born within the boundaries of the original town of Sunderland, not including Washington and Houghton - le - Spring added later as parts of the City of Sunderland.

: B) Anyone born within the boundaries of the Borough or the City of Sunderland (Sunderland became a city in 1992), including Washington and Houghton-le-Spring.

: c) Anyone born within the boundaries of the city, plus Seaham, Murton, Easington and other places defined as being in the old East Durham Coalfields.

: d) Anyone born within site of the Wear, from the source up at Wearhead to the mouth of the river at Monkwearmouth. This therefore includes places such as Durham, Bishop Auckland, Wolsingham and Stanhope. Definitions of 'Mackem' mostly don't include these latter areas.

: The term is derived from Mack'em and Tack'em, dating from the early ship building industry (i.e. the people on Wearside 'mak[e] them' and other people 'tak[e] them') and started off as an insult to the people of Sunderland by the Geordies. In recent years, however, the people of Sunderland have taken the name to be part of their identity as Wearsiders.

1762639601-soccer-barclays-premier-league-newcastle-united-v-manchester-united-st.jpg

Loosely speaking I define mackem as anything South of Testo's roundabout, as far as the A1 in the West down to Newton Aycliffe in the South following the A1 as the line across to the coast at Pea-tur-lee. All key janglers as far as I'm concerned, orange faced lasses, vacant looking blokes.

send them a picture of Chopra

£5m for a newcastle reserve

B) Could have been worse!! £17 million for a crock..... :boogie:

Anyone got a picture of Casrten Fredgaard (the new improved Brian Laudrup), Tore Flo or indeed Lilian (aptly named) Laslandes?

Yeah but they'll have pictures of Luque, Marcelino, Guivarch and Viana amongst many others tbh.

The origins of the term are obscure and divided. One belief is that it was a term used by shipyard workers in the 19th century on the Tyne (see Geordie), to describe their Wearside counterparts. The Mackems would "Make" the ship to be fitted out by the "Geordies", hence "mackem and tackem" ("make them" and "take them").[3] The term Mackem could come from the Local Brewers VAUX who for centuries brewed a bottled beer called "Double Maxim". People who drank the beer would ask for a Mackem pronouncing the X differently. So a person would be called a Mackem who drank the local beer. The term could also be a reference to volume of ships built during wartime on the River Wear, e.g. "We mackem and they sink em". Alternatively, this phrase may refer to the making and tacking into place of rivets in shipbuilding, which was the main method of assembling ships until the mid-twentieth century.

The earliest known recorded use of the term as applied to people from Sunderland, found by the Oxford English Dictionary occurred in 1988,[4] although "we still tak 'em and mak 'em" was found in a sporting context in 1973. This implies that the phrase was older, but there is nothing to suggest that "mak 'em" had come to be applied to people from Sunderland

The origins of the term are obscure and divided. One belief is that it was a term used by shipyard workers in the 19th century on the Tyne (see Geordie), to describe their Wearside counterparts. The Mackems would "Make" the ship to be fitted out by the "Geordies", hence "mackem and tackem" ("make them" and "take them").[3] The term Mackem could come from the Local Brewers VAUX who for centuries brewed a bottled beer called "Double Maxim". People who drank the beer would ask for a Mackem pronouncing the X differently. So a person would be called a Mackem who drank the local beer. The term could also be a reference to volume of ships built during wartime on the River Wear, e.g. "We mackem and they sink em". Alternatively, this phrase may refer to the making and tacking into place of rivets in shipbuilding, which was the main method of assembling ships until the mid-twentieth century.

The earliest known recorded use of the term as applied to people from Sunderland, found by the Oxford English Dictionary occurred in 1988,[4] although "we still tak 'em and mak 'em" was found in a sporting context in 1973. This implies that the phrase was older, but there is nothing to suggest that "mak 'em" had come to be applied to people from Sunderland

The Mackems would "Make" the ship to be fitted out by the "Geordies"

always my understanding of the term.mind! this was before all the bile and bitterness

that came about in the late 60`s early 70`s "the hooligan periods" so I geuss it`s been warped into whatever

people want it to mean.

1988 or 1973... :boogie: I remember the term well before that! my old man worked in the yards,both Wear and Tyne

and used the term "Mackem" when I was a kid in the early 50`s,He had loads of good Geordie workmates,they used to go to the match (derby) together weather it be at Roker or SJP,with no animosity,or when one team played away,they went to the others ground,but! the yards and the pits bred a comradeship that you dont get from guys wearing hair gell and working in call centres (your life hardly depends on the man you work with) shame really!!

"GEORDIE" on the other hand!!! ... ;)

The Mackems would "Make" the ship to be fitted out by the "Geordies"

always my understanding of the term.mind! this was before all the bile and bitterness

that came about in the late 60`s early 70`s "the hooligan periods" so I geuss it`s been warped into whatever

people want it to mean.

1988 or 1973... :boogie: I remember the term well before that! my old man worked in the yards,both Wear and Tyne

and used the term "Mackem" when I was a kid in the early 50`s,He had loads of good Geordie workmates,they used to go to the match (derby) together weather it be at Roker or SJP,with no animosity,or when one team played away,they went to the others ground,but! the yards and the pits bred a comradeship that you dont get from guys wearing hair gell and working in call centres (your life hardly depends on the man you work with) shame really!!

"GEORDIE" on the other hand!!! ... ;)

Sir GEORDIE to you twat face :razz:

Anyway what do you reckon Saturday?

Is that written by a mackem by any chance?

Edited by Kid Dynamite

Sir GEORDIE to you co`s Im a twat face :boogie:

Anyway what do you reckon Saturday?

It`s a Derby man owt can happen,and you know what spawney fuckers you`s lot are Berb!

those two goals last night prove my point,the Gods even saw fit to engineer a penalty incident

just to lift the crowd.I`ve never know a club so fucking lucky,if you`s fell in a tub of shit you`d come out with a gold watch

so it makes it hard to predict.so Im not going to tempt fate. B)

I live in a small town in sussex and somehow managed to join a company with 3 mackems in - with 4 days to go their emailing me with jokes and pictures. Scouring the internet I can't find any good ones to send back - can you help?

stop being so sensitive and tell them to fuck off

ask them when was the last time they beat us in Sunderland?

it's probably not even during in your life time

That is the simplest and best one, since the answer is something like 1980!

This is probably the best chance they'll have, we're in chaos, injuries galore and/or players just back and not fully fit and a possibility of Beye suspended, and to be honest before Kinnear and the 2 performances under him i thought nailed on defeat. However he has very quickly got some fight and spirit into them which was vital away to that lot, and with the return of Martins, likely Jonas and an outside chance of Owen making it, these players on form are a good distance better than anything they have and could turn a game on their own.

I still think it'll be very tight and pretty much no enjoyment for 90 mins as i don't see us being comfortably ahead at any point so there won't be any chance to sit back and actually enjoy any of it!