Memories, memories

Guest Stevie

England 0 Portugal 1, England 0 Morocco 0, England 3 Poland 0, England 3 Paraguay 0, England 1 Argentina 1*

England 1 Ireland 1, England 0 Holland 0, England 1 Egypt 0, England 1 Belgium 0, England 3 Cameroon 2, England 1 Germany 1

England 2 Tunisia 0, England 1 Romania 2, England 2 Colombia 0, England 2 Argentina 2

England 1 Sweden 1, England 1 Argentina 0, England 0 Nigeria 0, England 3 Denmark 0, England 1 Brazil 2

England 1 Paraguay 0, England 2 Trinidad 0, England 2 Sweden 2, England 1 Ecuador 0, England 0 Portugal 0

Adding that to Spain 82, our record in the World Cup since 1970, is P30 W15 D12 L3 Fair enough we weren't there in three of them, but we have lost 3 games in nearly 40 years in World Cup Finals THREE. That's an astonishing record. THREE games. I'm bitter and deluded but there's not one World Cup since 1982 we had no chance in. I think we SHOULD have won it in 86 and 90, COULD have won it in 98, the heat beat us in 2002, and regardless what people say about how overrated the 2006 squad was...bollocks, these players are Champions League winners, I say to this day we had better players than Italy did it's only two years ago, so this only leads me to the conclusion that it's not the popular argument of we're not good enough, the fact is we're just unlucky cunts. THREE DEFEATS in forty years.

England were pretty underrated in '82 like. Could have definitely gone all the way.

still cant believe kev missed that header tbh!

Needed to win 2-0 to progress though. You could say Ron Greenwood was a bit conservative in bringing Brooking and Keegan on so late against Spain. The second group stage was ridiculous as well imo. And in that World Cup England played 5, won 3 and drew 2 and still went home before the semis. There were other class teams in that competition as well though - Italy (who kept getting better as it went on), France (who England beat 3-1) and Brazil <_<

90 was the most painful as we had the team to go all the way. <_<

98 we had a fuckin good team too, there were other great countries, but had Beckham not been sent off or Sol's header wrongly disallowed who knows. 86, are you telling me we wouldn't have beaten Belgium, and 2006 DON'T GET ME STARTED. We're not as bad as we've been made out over the last 40 years, I would like to see another country who have only lost 3 games in 40 years.

90 was great =D

ole ole.ole.ole

were all part of jackies army, were all off to italy etc

No one realised they had snow in Italy till the ball landed on Niall Quinn's head with higher regularity covererd in it in Italia 90.

90 was great =D

ole ole.ole.ole

were all part of jackies army, were all off to italy etc

No one realised they had snow in Italy till the ball landed on Niall Quinn's head with higher regularity covererd in it in Italia 90.

<_<

i doubt we would have won it in 86 or 98.

90 was our best chance. bloody germans

Why not? We were fucking cheated, are you telling me we wouldn't have beaten Belgium in the Semi Final, and a Kraut side we'd humped 3-0 before the tournament. We were the better side against Argentina, and were getting stronger when Barnes came on, if Lineker had've scored that open goal we'd have won it.

i doubt we would have won it in 86 or 98.

90 was our best chance. bloody germans

Why not? We were fucking cheated, are you telling me we wouldn't have beaten Belgium in the Semi Final, and a Kraut side we'd humped 3-0 before the tournament. We were the better side against Argentina, and were getting stronger when Barnes came on, if Lineker had've scored that open goal we'd have won it.

if we'd got to the final, the germans would probably have beaten us on penalties

Fair enough we were cheated but I wouldn't say we were the better side against Argentina in '86. We could have won the match later on, aye. And we were on top after Barnes and Waddle came on but over the 90 minutes Argentina were better. We could have won that tournament though as it wasn't a great West Germany side that made it to the final by any means. France will be kicking themselves they never made it too but I think their 1/4 final against Brazil cattled them.

Fair enough we were cheated but I wouldn't say we were the better side against Argentina in '86. We could have won the match later on, aye. And we were on top after Barnes and Waddle came on but over the 90 minutes Argentina were better. We could have won that tournament though as it wasn't a great West Germany side that made it to the final by any means. France will be kicking themselves they never made it too but I think their 1/4 final against Brazil cattled them.

Apart from hitting the post in the first half Argentina did nothing other than the goals, we battered them from the moment of the second goal.

People say that was France's best ever team, but they were even fresher in 1982, and we did em 3-1 in Bilbao

I've seen reruns of that France game, aye I was just a wee wain.

Well France were poor in that match as well as England playing well (if you're on about the one v England) so I don't quite follow what you're getting at. You seemed to be saying France were better in '82 than in '86.

Anyway, they were awesome in '84.

Edited by alex