Newcastle fan gunned down in Kabul

Happy Face

The ex-wife of a Briton gunned down in Kabul has described him as a "great father and a good husband".

David Giles, 42, from Newcastle, was shot dead on Saturday with South African Jason Bresler, a colleague with courier company DHL.

The pair were killed by a security guard, who then shot himself, outside the firm's Afghan headquarters.

His ex-wife Julie Wilson, 37, from Hull, said their son James, 10, was still in shock.

Of Mr Giles, Mrs Wilson said: "He was very outgoing - a really popular lad, really good fun.

"He would not hurt anyone; in fact he would befriend everybody and anybody.

"When I heard about it I just could not believe it. You just don't expect this to happen to someone you loved."

Mrs Wilson met former bus driver Mr Giles when they both lived in Bahrain in the 1990s. They split after a seven-year marriage in 2004.

A keen Newcastle United supporter, Mr Giles moved back to Bahrain because job prospects were better there, Mrs Wilson said.

He was still living in the country, where his mother and two sisters are also resident, the Foreign Office has said.

Mr Giles had worked for a time in Iraq but Mrs Wilson said he had laughed off security concerns, telling her: "I'm all right, it's only DHL.

"At the end of the day I only work for a delivery company."

He was transferred to Kabul after another promotion but still kept in regular contact with James, Mrs Wilson added.

Mr Giles was shot days after foreign aid worker Gayle Williams, 34, who had British and South African nationality, was gunned down in Kabul.

The attack was reportedly claimed by the Taleban on the grounds that she had been working for a Christian group.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7692288.stm

:nufc:

RIP