Toon Vs West Brom

Venom

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Owen again - always the case that hes out for 3 times more matches than originally hoped.

Back for villa though <_<

He 'Hopes' he is.

He was 50/50 for the city match :nufc:

Viduka out for another 6 weeks as well

No Owen again - always the case that hes out for 3 times more matches than originally hoped.

Back for villa though <_<

He 'Hopes' he is.

He was 50/50 for the city match :nufc:

Viduka out for another 6 weeks as well

What's he done this time? <_<:angry:

Butt is out :nufc:

Just Taylor & Duff to go

<_<

The best bit of Saturday was having a bench of players who've had more than 20 games between them. Half of them weren't match fit, but it bodes well for a time when they all could be.

Realstic first teamer injuries are down to Owen, Viduka and Butt (only doubful) now (Smith doesn't count any more). Players like Taylor and Duff are far better than Edgar and Doninger.

team should be:

...................given

beye col bassong enrique

.........gez © barton zog

guti....................................martins

...................ameobi

subs:

harper

taylor

cacapa

guthrie

duff

xisco

ranger

Edited by triggy99

Newcastle from: Given, Harper, Beye, Edgar, Enrique, N'Zogbia, Taylor, Coloccini, Cacapa, Bassong, Tozer, Guthrie, Geremi, Duff, Barton, Jonas, Doninger, Xisco, Ameobi, Martins, Carroll, Donaldson, Ranger, Danquah.

West Brom from: Carson, Kiely, Zuiverloon, Hoefkens, Barnett, Donk, Olsson, Robinson, Cech, Morrison, Greening, Koren, Valero, Brunt, Miller, Bednar, Moore, Slusarski, MacDonald, Pele.

On paper we should overwhelm them. Their squad has barely any Premier League quality. To be frank we should absolutely terrorise a back line including players like Zuiverloon, Hoefkens, Barnett, Donk, Robinson, "Pele."

...but this is Newcastle United. Anything can and will happen.

GK: Given

RB: Beye

CB: Coloccini

CB: Taylor

LB: Enrique

RW: Jonas

LW: Zog

CM: Barton

CM: Guthrie

FC: Ameobi

ST: Martins

We need Ameobi behind Martins. Loads of time against Sunderland Martins produced a good pass for Ameobi to run on to...but he's Ameobi. It should be the other way round if we're ever going to make use of Martins' primary asset.

I think we can afford to lose this and several other games this season.

I mean we lost seventeen last year and stopped up, so a sixth loss wouldn't be the end of the world.

It really is a nice to win game for me.

This HAS to be a win game to lose this one will demoralise the players. To lose games on the trot like we are is like running in sand hard as fuck to get anywhere. A win is a step in the right direction to lose is another step towards the championship

I think Alex's response was a bit more level headed.

To call it MUST WIN suggests we should all just give up if we happen to get a draw.

If we cant win this game, then what games DO we have a realistic chance of winning. Thats what makes this a must win

The ones against Spurs.

I mean we lost seventeen last year and stopped up, so a sixth loss wouldn't be the end of the world.

This HAS to be a win game to lose this one will demoralise the players. To lose games on the trot like we are is like running in sand hard as fuck to get anywhere. A win is a step in the right direction to lose is another step towards the championship

To call it MUST WIN suggests we should all just give up if we happen to get a draw.

If we cant win this game, then what games DO we have a realistic chance of winning. Thats what makes this a must win

It doesn't work like that though does it. Hull beat Arsenal, but that doesn't guarantee they'll beat everyone outside the top 4.

I think people are dwelling a bit much on defeat off the mackems (which is always a coin toss). Drawing against Everton and Man City before that weren't bad results (both of whom weren't too shoddy over the weekend) and I'm very confident of getting something here, but I won't be throwing a wobbly if we don't.

But we aren't beating anyone at the moment though are we. And obviously if we keep struggling against the weaker teams we aren't going to expect to beat the better teams are we.

And this isn't me panicing after Saturdays loss, I agree entirely with what you are saying about that. And I agree we've shown a lot more in recent games so I am confident we will get a win tonight but I still think we have to.

hardly a 'must win' at this point in the season.....more like a 'really would be good to win'.

game is on here in canada in the middle of the day...thankful for the ol' PVR.

We are haemorrhaging points, but really that's just a symptom. The cause is the club being in limbo. We're not in must win situation, but we're really in a must be sold fucking soon situation.

It doesn't work like that though does it. Hull beat Arsenal, but that doesn't guarantee they'll beat everyone outside the top 4.

I think people are dwelling a bit much on defeat off the mackems (which is always a coin toss). Drawing against Everton and Man City before that weren't bad results (both of whom weren't too shoddy over the weekend) and I'm very confident of getting something here, but I won't be throwing a wobbly if we don't.

But we aren't beating anyone at the moment though are we. And obviously if we keep struggling against the weaker teams we aren't going to expect to beat the better teams are we.

And this isn't me panicing after Saturdays loss, I agree entirely with what you are saying about that. And I agree we've shown a lot more in recent games so I am confident we will get a win tonight but I still think we have to.

There was no struggle whatsoever while Keegan was here, then it all kicked off and we lost four in a row, understandably imo, we were a rudderless ship and 3 of those 4 finished above us last year. They're not weaker teams

Kinnear hasn't done a bad job at all of steadying us since his arrival. Draws against another 2 teams who finished above us last year, after going behind, was an excellent start. The derby is a lottery, and people are overreacting to their dissappointment if you ask me.

The ones against Spurs.

Like the cup game you mean? :nufc:

There was no struggle whatsoever while Keegan was here, then it all kicked off and we lost four in a row, understandably imo, we were a rudderless ship and 3 of those 4 finished above us last year. They're not weaker teams

Kinnear hasn't done a bad job at all of steadying us since his arrival. Draws against another 2 teams who finished above us last year, after going behind, was an excellent start. The derby is a lottery, and people are overreacting to their dissappointment if you ask me.

This is irrelevent though if you as me. The facts are this, we are second bottom of the league and haven't won a league game since our opening home game (and in that time we have lost not just against the top teams but also teams that are no great shakes at all).

I'm not saying we are going down or that we are still the mess that we quite clearly were in the imediate aftermath of KK's departure. But we do need to start picking up points against weaker teams because it's bound to be harder when we play those who you expect to be at the top come May.

Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear has confirmed midfielder Joey Barton will start his first match since being released from jail against West Brom.

He will replace Nicky Butt who has a groin injury, while striker Michael Owen (groin) is also out.

West Brom winger Chris Brunt could be recalled with manager Tony Mowbray considering a five-man midfield.

Central defender Abdoulaye Meite (calf) and midfielders Filipe Teixeira (calf) and Kim Do-Heon (knee) are both out.

Newcastle (from): Given, Harper, Beye, Edgar, Enrique, N'Zogbia, Taylor, Coloccini, Cacapa, Bassong, Tozer, Guthrie, Geremi, Duff, Barton, Jonas, Doninger, Xisco, Ameobi, Martins, Carroll, Donaldson, Ranger, Danquah.

West Brom (from): Carson, Kiely, Zuiverloon, Hoefkens, Barnett, Donk, Olsson, Robinson, Cech, Morrison, Greening, Koren, Valero, Brunt, Miller, Bednar, Moore, Slusarski, MacDonald, Pele.

This is irrelevent though if you as me. The facts are this, we are second bottom of the league and haven't won a league game since our opening home game (and in that time we have lost not just against the top teams but also teams that are no great shakes at all).

I'm not saying we are going down or that we are still the mess that we quite clearly were in the imediate aftermath of KK's departure. But we do need to start picking up points against weaker teams because it's bound to be harder when we play those who you expect to be at the top come May.

We would ALWAYS hope to be taking points off weaker teams, but it never pans out that way.

As it is though, the only team arguably weaker than us we've actually lost to this season is Sunderland.

That being the derby is an odd one to call and you can never expect the 3 points from it. This is the first game I'd say we should expect to win since Bolton, and I think we will. I'm not such a knee jerker to say we must win or the end is nigh though.

I mean, what's the 'or else' if we don't win the must win game? Sack Kinnear?