Maradona...

bawan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day Argentina won, it is still one of the most talked about games of the World Cup. Maradona scored with his hand but then made up for it with what most would think is the greatest goal of all time.

I actually think that makes it much worse, he had no need to cheat, yet he did anyway.

It was the ref's fault tbf. Cheating occurs in every match. The fact that the officials were so incompetent that they failed to miss such an obvious bit of skullduggery is what sticks in the throat for me. And was the ref from the UAE or something? You'd have to question how much experience he'd had in refereeing a game like that.

I always find it hilarious when the English still go on about THAT goal. You know, the goal which STOPPED them winning the world cup!! :jesuswept: Butcher's comments are pathetic.

Yes it was handball. Deal with it. So what, you were beaten by a great team, try getting beat of Costa Rica or Iran.

It was the ref's fault tbf. Cheating occurs in every match. The fact that the officials were so incompetent that they failed to miss such an obvious bit of skullduggery is what sticks in the throat for me. And was the ref from the UAE or something? You'd have to question how much experience he'd had in refereeing a game like that.

Pretty much all his big game refereeing was in that tournament IIRC.

I always find it hilarious when the English still go on about THAT goal. You know, the goal which STOPPED them winning the world cup!! :) Butcher's comments are pathetic.

Yes it was handball. Deal with it. So what, you were beaten by a great team, try getting beat of Costa Rica or Iran.

I can quite imagine Scottish football fans getting over it, if Rooney (or Heskey for that matter :lol:) did it to Scotland in similar circumstances.

If there wasn't an immediate declaration of independence and invasion because it, it still would go in the official big book of Scottish grudges to be rolled out at every possible occasion for the next 350 years. :jesuswept:

I always find it hilarious when the English still go on about THAT goal. You know, the goal which STOPPED them winning the world cup!! :jesuswept: Butcher's comments are pathetic.

I agree, pretty pathetic dredging up the past like this. People should let go.

However, coming from a Scot, that is something else. The chorus of your national anthem is about a 700 year old battle!

I personally think that Butcher is acting like a prick. A lot of footballers would have tried to get away with what Maradona did. He was an absolutely sensational footballer. A flawed genius, but a genius nonetheless.

Edited by Billy Whitehurst

Tunisia IIRC.

I personally think that Butcher is acting like a prick.

I personally think that Butcher answered a question that was put to him honestly.

The question is, if he had not been prompted would he have brought it up of his own accord? I'm convinced he wouldn't.

Far from it being Butcher who is being pathetic, I think the Scottish media need to take a long hard look at themselves and what they're asking in a press conference. It's them that's digging up 22 year old history, not Maradona nor Butcher.

I personally think that Butcher answered a question that was put to him honestly.

The question is, if he had not been prompted would he have brought it up of his own accord? I'm convinced he wouldn't.

Far from it being Butcher who is being pathetic, I think the Scottish media need to take a long hard look at themselves and what they're asking in a press conference. It's them that's digging up 22 year old history, not Maradona nor Butcher.

I'm in total agreement that the media are just stirring things up. I also agree that Butcher answered a question that was put to him honestly.

However, in my opinion, his comments make him sound like a prick and a bit of a sore loser.

I think he's a rancid cheating turd primarily for what happened in Mexico back in 86...

But he's funny as fuck in interview, even if it is through an interpretor. The bit towards the end of this clip about the '66 World Cup is hilarious. On a serious note, he must be fed up with them asking him about something which happened over 22 years ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7736200.stm

Absolutely no different to the weekly dives we see for penalties that never where IMO.

I think he's a drug cheat though and therefore should never be compared to Pele for example (I don't think Maradonna was as good anyway, but that's beside the point.

Edited by Toonpack

That's what ive always said. It was the fact a ref and linesman couldn't spot that a 5 foot 4 guy had miraculously outjumped a 6 foot keeper eithout any form of cheating whatsoever!

I've never had any problem witn Maradonna, he did what it took to score in that split second and got away with it, if Lineker or whoever had done the same and we'd won i'd have taken it!

It was up to officials to spot something so blatant. Its also a pretty crap argument though when people say it doesn't matter because he scored the great second goal, because they completely miss the point that the scoreline and game would have been totally different if the first one hadn't been awarded. Was one of the alltime great goals mind!

Not nearly as bad as some constantly harping on about 42 year old history tbh...

Jonas with an assist :D

ITV News: "... with Man Utd's Carlos Tevez involved in the build-up" :lol:

They also completely exonerated Terry for Germany's goal and put all the blame on Carson. ITV news is awful though so I shouldn't be surprised.

Jonas with an assist :D

ITV News: "... with Man Utd's Carlos Tevez involved in the build-up" :lol:

They also completely exonerated Terry for Germany's goal and put all the blame on Carson. ITV news is awful though so I shouldn't be surprised.

I was reading the Metro this morning where they had labelled Carson a 'calamity keeper' and placing all the blame on him, describing Terry's part in it as 'could have done better'.

It was clearly Terry's fault as well. Yet Carson gets blamed? Mental

I'd say Terry was more to blame anyway. Fair play to him for putting it right with the goal at the other end though.

• 1 year later...
True Stories: Maradona

Film-maker Emir Kusturica profiles legendary Argentinean football manager Diego Maradona. Through a series of revealing interviews with the man himself, Kusturica explores his humble beginnings and complex personal history, the origins of his controversial political views and his infamous struggles with drug addiction.

More4 10:00pm-12:05am (2 hours 5 minutes) Tue 13 Jul

Should be canny, if anyone's interested.

Film-maker Emir Kusturica profiles legendary Argentinean football manager Diego Maradona. Through a series of revealing interviews with the man himself, Kusturica explores his humble beginnings and complex personal history, the origins of his controversial political views and his infamous struggles with drug addiction.

Kusturica is one of my fav filmakers as well. Shuld be good, will have to wait a few days over here though.

Kusturica is one of my fav filmakers as well. Shuld be good, will have to wait a few days over here though.

I've got it on DVD and personally I don't think it was worth the effort.

Maybe it's a personal preference but when a film maker needs to insert themselves into their production as a protagonist it detracts from the actual subject - especially one as huge as Diego Maradona. Sam Dunn produces similar documentaries on Metal.

4/10