MS offers peek through Windows 7

Fop

MS offers peek through Windows 7

_45151312_microsoftbody3.jpg

Windows 7 will make it easier to view photos

Microsoft has unveiled the latest version of its Windows operating system.

It promised that it will deliver a better experience for users when it arrives sometime late next year.

Windows 7 follows Vista, which Microsoft claims has been a success, but which has been subject to fierce criticism from a number of users.

The system was demonstrated at the company's Professional Developers Conference in Los Angeles.

Senior vice-president Steven Sinofsky described it as an "exciting new version of Windows" and claimed it would deliver a more personalised experience.

Feedback

When Vista launched in January 2007, many users complained that it ran slowly and failed to work at all with some programs and devices.

Corporate customers have been slow to switch from Windows XP to Vista, although Microsoft said that the operating system had an unfair press, and has enjoyed record sales.

"We got a lot of feedback about Vista," admitted Mr Sinofsky, who runs the Windows business.

He said his team had responded with improvements and had learned some lessons in developing Windows 7.

Data sharing

Among the new features promised in the latest operating system are Windows Touch, which introduces support for multi-touch technology.

This will enable users to zoom in on an image by moving two fingers closer together - a technology first introduced to millions of users by Apple's iPhone.

A new taskbar aims to give more rapid access to files and programs, with each open window appearing as a graphic thumbnail.

There is also a feature called HomeGroup, allowing users easy sharing of data across PCs and other devices in the home.

And there is more support for devices such as cameras, printers, and mobile phones with a product called Device Stage offering a single window to manage tasks for each device.

Microsoft's chief software architect Ray Ozzie defended Vista and indicated that Windows 7 would be evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

"Vista is a great operating system, it's tremendously functional," he told the BBC. "Windows 7 brings it up a level by enabling it to take advantage of certain hardware innovations. PCs have evolved since Vista was launched," he said.

Microsoft also announced that its Office software will now be available as a web application, so that users can create and share documents across multiple devices.

Google already offers users online applications allowing them to create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations online for free.

Microsoft's Office Web will be supplied to customers who purchase the next edition of Office, but Microsoft stressed that it will provide all the same functions online as are available offline.

$$$ :icon_lol: $$$

If their track record is anything to go by it will be delayed enough for me to have got at least 5 years out of my copy of Vista.

Im using the 64bit version of vista ultimate at the mo - and its pretty good.

ive had the tweak the hell out of it to get it 'just so' and upgraded to 8gig of ram like.

If their track record is anything to go by it will be delayed enough for me to have got at least 5 years out of my copy of Vista.

Maybe, but Win7 isn't such a leap (not that Vista was, but it was enough to delay it). I think they'll have it out reasonably on time. Vista I think will be the new WinME, expensive, buggy, meh and superseded very quickly.

Business in trying to make money shock!

Really successful business is making lots of money selling people things they don't need.

If you're really good you can sell them the same thing twice. :icon_lol:

Im using the 64bit version of vista ultimate at the mo - and its pretty good.

ive had the tweak the hell out of it to get it 'just so' and upgraded to 8gig of ram like.

That's the thing with Vista, you've got to wrestle with it no end just to get it functioning reasonable like it should (they way it installs is shocking and the built in defragmentor is just not fit for purpose). Win7 will probably be quite a lot better in fairness.

Really successful business is making lots of money selling people things they don't need.

You don't want it then don't buy it. As you well know there are alternatives available.

You don't want it then don't buy it. As you well know there are alternatives available.

Aye, if you dont need it yet youre dim enough to buy it then youre the ones lining Gates and Co's pockets.

I don't have a personal copy of Vista, there's no need, at present.

However eventually for gaming I'll have to, or rather more likely Win7.

But that's not really the point, the point is all those people that have shelled out for Vista which will soon at best be a back burner security update OS, and it isn't a very good OS anyway.

Oh noes! They will make my operating system obsolete!

....ah, wait.

They might :icon_lol: , the only reason XP got a semi-reprieve is because of the ridiculous popularity of Linux mini-laptops and that Vista is far, far too bloaty to run on them well (or at all in some cases). :icon_lol:

Aye, if you dont need it yet youre dim enough to buy it then youre the ones lining Gates and Co's pockets.

True, but it's likely to be a WinME/Win2000/WinXP situation again.

Plus for some aspects you have little choice due to the absolute monopoly (admittedly for many PC tasks you have a wide choice of different and frankly superior software), and it's quite possible they'll do an XP/Vista thing with Direct X again, thereby effectively forcing an "upgrade" to Win7 in the end.

This is up there with the Brand / Ross scandal for me.

Can you believe Brown made a statement about it? :icon_lol:

Actually I can. But ffs, we're heading into a recession and he's commenting on this :icon_lol: Cameron stuck his oar in as well. Honestly man :icon_lol:

I prefer XP to Vista as it is...

I think Win7 probably will be a worthwhile update (and by then they probably will have utterly abandoned XP), but Vista is looking like a White Elephant.

I've never had so many temporary lock ups and crashes as I've had with Vista. Worst ever?

Well since WinME was patched up anyway.

I've had very few problems with it tbf.

I guess it depends what you're doing with it and what you are running it on. It's not good though, it needs a lot of "help" to get it doing things it should be doing out of the box.

buy windows?

who does that

and yes vista is awful, dual booted it to see what it was like and couldnt stick it

Are you a PC? [/MSspinmachine]

Actually I can. But ffs, we're heading into a recession and he's commenting on this :icon_lol: Cameron stuck his oar in as well. Honestly man :icon_lol:

Yeah I saw that too, I thought it was going to be a joke, then I realised it was serious.

I think they've all just found something that they can safely lay into to try and take other media pressure off them, so they are going at it like the Blair's in the Vatican.

Yeah I saw that too, I thought it was going to be a joke, then I realised it was serious.

I think they've all just found something that they can safely lay into to try and take other media pressure off them, so they are going at it like the Blair's in the Vatican.

The Pope's probably Catholic too. Anyway, there's never a bad time to post this: http://www.holymoly.com/page/NewsDetail/0,...1434846,00.html