Sir Bobby tonight

Jimbo

Anyone catch his interview on SKY ? what an inspiration the man is, even had to the guts to whip his hat off to show the effects of his chemo.

what a man.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wanted to cry, but being with the lads I held it back although it was quite telling everyone went silent when he came on.

He really doesn't seem to have long for this world. The bloke is an inspiration :icon_lol:

I really wanted to cry, but being with the lads I held it back although it was quite telling everyone went silent when he came on.

He really doesn't seem to have long for this world. The bloke is an inspiration :icon_lol:

agreed, I was watching it with my daughter and had to leave the room to wipe the tears away.

Sir Bobby Jokes Over His Cancer

Former England manager Sir Bobby Robson has bravely joked about his latest battle with cancer.

The 75-year-old has been diagnosed with lung cancer five times over the last 15 years, but is not expected to win his latest fight.

He was speaking ahead of a huge fundraising event in Durham in aid of the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation which will fund a centre for the early detection of the disease.

I'm thoroughly looking forward to an evening of letting my hair down - although thanks to recent radiotherapy treatment I don't have much hair to let down any more.

A host of famous faces were expected to attend the fundraising event, including Sir Alex Ferguson, Sir Bobby Charlton and former Newcastle United and England skipper Alan Shearer.

Former Simply Red frontman Mick Hucknall is expected to perform, along with opera singer Graeme Danby and local school children.

Sir Bobby said: "The treatment has knocked me for 12, not six, but every day is a new day and the support of my good friends, family and all the very many well-wishers and supporters of my charity keeps me positive."

Earlier this year, Sir Bobby admitted he will lose his battle with lung cancer 'sooner rather than later'.

He said: 'I have accepted what they have told me and I am determined to make the most of what time I have left."

His foundation will fund research into the early detection and treatment of cancer and has already raised enough money to set up a Cancer Trials Research Centre which will treat patients from January 2009.

In an interview with the Mail on Sunday last weekend, Sir Alex paid a warm tribute to Sir Bobby, saying: "Now and again someone enters this world who is special, someone who is able to captivate with his sheer presence and personality, his honesty, integrity and infectious enthusiasm for whatever is his calling in life.

"I am so glad I am counted among his friends."

I know people dont think we should have a statue or stand named after him but we should! Hes one of the best 2 managers in living memory, he supports the club, hes from the region and we should be proud he associates himself with our club

I know people dont think we should have a statue or stand named after him but we should! Hes one of the best 2 managers in living memory, he supports the club, hes from the region and we should be proud he associates himself with our club

top man and if there wasn't something put up at the club permanently it'd be a shame

This argument has been done to death several times over but there's people more deserving. Joe Harvey, Keegan etc

When it comes to achievements, there should be a tribute to Joe Harvey before Sir Bobby at SJP, but you could certainly argue a fitting tribute in Newcastle or Durham for Sir Bobby in recognition for his achievements in football in general rather than purely his time at NUFC.

top man and if there wasn't something put up at the club permanently it'd be a shame

This argument has been done to death several times over but there's people more deserving. Joe Harvey, Keegan etc

Yep and it'll rage on for years to come. There are bigger servants to the club and I wouldnt put KK in that category. The only thing ypu can guarantee is that this is something that splits the fans right down the middle.

Oh and Jimbo, whats the sig image all about?

Yep and it'll rage on for years to come. There are bigger servants to the club and I wouldnt put KK in that category. The only thing ypu can guarantee is that this is something that splits the fans right down the middle.

You wouldn't put Keegan in the category of bigger servants to the club?

Nope, yes hes been here three times as a player and manager and yes I have great respect for the man but in terms of overall service to the club and being an ambassador for it then he doesnt rank right up the top.

Nope, yes hes been here three times as a player and manager and yes I have great respect for the man but in terms of overall service to the club and being an ambassador for it then he doesnt rank right up the top.

He's done more for this club than anyone on the footballing side for God knows how many years. I'm going to disagree with you on that one. :icon_lol:

He's done more for this club than anyone on the footballing side for God knows how many years. I'm going to disagree with you on that one. :icon_lol:

Then you could argue that Douglas hall should have a statue because without him there probably wouldnt have been KK the manager. Or how about Arthur cox? if he hadnt brought Keegan here as a player then I'd say its highly unlikely that Fat Douggy would have even thought of the name Keegan.

Then you could argue that Douglas hall should have a statue because without him there probably wouldnt have been KK the manager. Or how about Arthur cox? if he hadnt brought Keegan here as a player then I'd say its highly unlikely that Fat Douggy would have even thought of the name Keegan.

That's not logical though and you know it.

When it comes to achievements, there should be a tribute to Joe Harvey before Sir Bobby at SJP, but you could certainly argue a fitting tribute in Newcastle or Durham for Sir Bobby in recognition for his achievements in football in general rather than purely his time at NUFC.

I absolutely agree with that. The man is a real inspiration to all of us.

We could name the training ground and the academy "the Sir Bobby Robson Centre" or something....he told fatfred we were a disgrace because we didnt have purpose built training facilities, and it was designed,built and opened whilst he was manager.

There is a bust of him just inside the Old Milburn Stand entrance...........very good likeness of him :icon_lol: