Sir Bobby tonight

Jimbo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

before he goes i don't think many have been as successful in so many places. he won medals in porto, barcelona, psv, ipswich and was englands best manager since alf ramsey (at least in 89-90 he was!).

also was a mean player from what i could see, was a very talented inside forward and an england regular during his career.

True Legend. :razz:

before he goes i don't think many have been as successful in so many places. he won medals in porto, barcelona, psv, ipswich and was englands best manager since alf ramsey (at least in 89-90 he was!).

also was a mean player from what i could see, was a very talented inside forward and an england regular during his career.

True Legend. :(

Sad thing is, the press at the time wanted rid of him - they reckoned he was absolute shite and started a witch-hunt in the run up to Italia 90 IIRC. Graham Taylor was such a 'more attractive prospect' in their eyes :razz:

Same fucking scum who have since have reported that he was the best manager this country has seen since Ramsey and that a knighthood is 'long overdue'.

We should be celebrating this mans life while hes here, not waiting for him to go before having a wake.

I say NUFC should have a Sir Bobby day, everyone raise a glass to the man, let him sit in the dugout and we can sing Robson wonderland all game. Then beer and festivities all evening.

Much rather do something like that than be sombre when hes gone.

To me, there are only 3 places you could really have some kind of commemorative statue:

Wembley - To mark his impact on both his country and the game in general.

Ipswich - To mark his fantastic acheivements there

Newcastle - Amongst his 'own' people and the club he loves.

Totally agree and as SLP says, there is already a statue at Portman Road. The FA should recognise him in some way for what he has done for football and the English game in general.

What he achieved at NUFC was only a small proportion of what he achieved elsewhere perhaps but then the same can be said of Keegan, Shearer, Beardsley and others over the years.

Of the people this football club should recognise in some way, he has to be up there amongst them. IMO the list should be:

Stan Seymour Snr

Jackie Milburn

Joe Harvey

Sir John Hall

Kevin Keegan

Sir Bobby Robson

Both Beardsley and Shearer are possibly worthy of some recognition too. Of the 6 names mentioned up there, only 3 have had anything done to date - Milburn (stand), Harvey (restaurant within ground) and Hall (stand).

The fact that Stan Seymour Snr has never been recognised is an absolute disgrace IMO.

Statue as well for Jackie...

True - forgot to mention that one...

Shearer's Bar?

We should be celebrating this mans life while hes here, not waiting for him to go before having a wake.

I say NUFC should have a Sir Bobby day, everyone raise a glass to the man, let him sit in the dugout and we can sing Robson wonderland all game. Then beer and festivities all evening.

Sounds like a damned fine idea to me.....

NUSC to canvass the idea? :razz:

True Legend. :(

Sad thing is, the press at the time wanted rid of him - they reckoned he was absolute shite and started a witch-hunt in the run up to Italia 90 IIRC. Graham Taylor was such a 'more attractive prospect' in their eyes :razz:

Same fucking scum who have since have reported that he was the best manager this country has seen since Ramsey and that a knighthood is 'long overdue'.

even more of a tragedy was all the fact that a majority of toon fans forced him out of nufc when he was doing a grand job. we've never recovered from fat fred sacking sir bobby - we've been a downward spiral ever since he left.

It wasn't so much the replacing of SBR that was wrong, but the timing and the individual they chose to replace him.

Robson should have been 'retired' at the end of the 2003-04 season and suitably honoured by the club. Instead he was booted out on the eve of the transfer window closure.

There's many who agree the timing was wrong but not so many who feel it wasn't time for him to be replaced.

i think it was a crazy decision personally. said so at the time and stick by it. we've never been the same since he was booted out. in fact, following the club has been pretty miserable ever since the sbr days

It wasn't so much the replacing of SBR that was wrong, but the timing and the individual they chose to replace him.

Robson should have been 'retired' at the end of the 2003-04 season and suitably honoured by the club. Instead he was booted out on the eve of the transfer window closure.

There's many who agree the timing was wrong but not so many who feel it wasn't time for him to be replaced.

Agree there. Liverpool, who finished one place and a few points above us got rid of Houllier. We should've really followed suit and tried to get a world class manager in to replace Sir Bob that summer.

It's so easy to forget that the season we ended up with Souness was the season when the top 4 began to pull away. If Fat Fred had any sense it could've so easily been the top 5 :razz:

NUSC need to contact the vatican about a sainthood tbh.

NUSC need to contact the vatican about a sainthood tbh.

We already have, seemingly I dont qualify just cos Im not catholic :(

The Congregation for the Causes of Saints is the Vatican agency that examines the lives and writings of candidates for sainthood and determines whether miracles attributed to them are valid.

When the scrutiny is complete and the Congregation for Causes, made up of a group of cardinals from around the world, decides in favor of the individual, the case is presented to the pope. If the pope gives his consent, he issues a decree for canonization.

There are three steps to sainthood in the Catholic Church: Venerable, Blessed and Saint.

Venerable recognizes a person's heroic virtue and sanctity. Blessed is the next step that occurs after at least one miracle is attributed to the intercession of the person being considered.

Sainthood is bestowed on a person after a second miracle has occurred that is attributable to the person to whom the petitioners prayed. The saint's life and faith become a role model to be followed by Catholics.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/drexel/sainthoodsteps.shtml

Miracle 1 - Won Ipswich the Uefa cup having bought only 14 players in 13 years.

Miracle 2 - Got a team with Shola Ameobi up front into the champions league.

Does everyone think this Sbr day is a good idea then? Nusc is running with it if you do

:aye: Nice chance to do something positive for a change.

Agreed, be good to put all this shite behind us for a game. Pick a home game, ask everyone to take their scarves etc (will anyway as its bloody freezing), get them two lassies who sing near the trent to join in, get some band to sit at the bottom of the stairs near the club shop, then singing his song before (especially), at the start and during the game.

Speak to the ronny gill and let them know that its to celebrate a man who's done so much for the club and area who might need some extra cheer this time of year.

;)

Sounds a great idea to me. Perhaps to get the club to buy in to the idea there could be some sort of fund raiser for his charity? not sure what, even if it the odd bucket for spare change, cant see the club saying no to rare and potentially good publicity.

He personally disagrees with the view that he needed to move on, feels he had at least another season, if not more in him. He is still very annoyed at the decision and mentions it on numerous occassions in the latest book. (Very nice book and would make a very good xmas present).

Ambitious I know, but....

Can we not take this a step further have some sort of friendly match with all proceeds going to his charity?

Bobby Robson XI vs. Barcelona

How nice would it be to see Bobby in the dug out one last time!