Newcastle United vs Aston Villa

dbsweeney

After a disappointing second half against WBA, my thoughts turn to Villa and the question of how do we stifle someone with the height and capability of John Carew?

Our back half had their moments but also seemed to lose concentration at important moments, and when was the last time we kept a clean sheet? Taylor always tries, Coloccini has become better, and Beye can have his moments (if they're not misconstrued as fouls when instead they're great last-ditch tackles), but how are they gonna cope with a person like Carew?

The best I think we can do is a draw ... when a win would really boost us in terms of the ladder.

Fingers crossed!

And in Given we trust!

TEAM NEWS AND MATCH PREVIEW

Newcastle v Aston Villa (Mon)

Venue: St James' Park

Date: Monday, 3 November Kick-off: 2000 GMT

Coverage: Live commentary on BBC Radio 5 Live & score updates on BBC Sport website

Newcastle captain Michael Owen is poised to return to action after recovering from a groin problem.

Nicky Butt is also back in contention after he missed the win over West Brom with an ankle injury.

Aston Villa have a doubt over midfielder Stiliyan Petrov with a hamstring injury.

They will give a late fitness test to midfielder Steve Sidwell, while striker John Carew is hoping for a recall to the starting line-up.

Aston Villa (from): Friedel, L Young, Laursen, Knight, Davies, Cuellar, Shorey, Milner, Routledge, Petrov, Reo-Coker, Sidwell, Barry, A Young, Carew, Agbonlahor, Harewood, Gardner, Salifou, Osbourne, Guzan.

Newcastle (from): Given, Beye, Enrique, Taylor, Coloccini, Butt, Barton, Guthrie, Duff, Gutierrez, Ameobi, Owen, Martins, Harper, Bassong, Cacapa, Edgar, Geremi, Xisco.

Make your Premier League predictions

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill on former Newcastle midfielder James Milner, set to face his former club:

"James had played a lot of games for Newcastle and if they were stalling on a new contract we had a great opportunity to get him in.

"He was worth every penny of the fee and is doing very well for us - he conjured up something from nothing for the second goal against Blackburn on Wednesday.

"He has energy, great determination, skill and will definitely improve."

Newcastle interim boss Joe Kinnear on the tightness of the table above the relegation zone:

Kinnear wants to end Newcastle uncertainty

"There is hardly anything in it below seventh spot.

"We have the opportunity to be on 12 points at the end of Monday evening, and we should feel confident at home to do that.

"We were very nervous and cautious against West Brom, but beating them gave us a massive lift."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Aston Villa are making a concerted effort to break into the top four, and go to St James' Park eager to record three Premier League victories on the bounce for the first time since this season.

Joe Kinnear is the third manager to send out a Newcastle team is as many meetings with Villa. Sam Allardyce made his home debut in last season's goalless draw, while Kevin Keegan was at the helm when the Magpies lost 4-1 at Villa Park in February.

United were buoyed by their first win under Kinnear, 2-1 home to West Brom last Wednesday. Now they're chasing a third maximum of the season and first back-to-back successes since registering three on the spin on 5 April.

Villa have only recorded one victory in eight Premier League visits to Tyneside; another here would be their 50th league triumph against Newcastle.

Distance between the clubs: 203 miles (327 kilometres)

This is Aston Villa's longest journey of the whole Premier League season.

CLUB FORM

NEWCASTLE UNITED

Club stats

Going into the weekend: 17th 9 points

2008-09 Premier League performance - best and worst categories in the league

(all statistics are ahead of this weekend's round of Premier League fixtures)

1. Won one, drawn two and lost one of their four Premier League matches under Joe Kinnear.

2. Pocketed just five points from a last available 24.

3. Bidding for a third win in 14 top-flight matches.

4. The 2-1 win over West Brom last time out was the first match in 10 in all competitions that they had not conceded at least two goals.

5. Scored in all but one of their 10 league outings this season.

6. Playing back-to-back matches against Midlands' clubs and looking for a quick double.

Fixtures

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor has now become a total liability in my eyes, a white Bramble.

Sadly I think you're right, I'd rather have a back line of Beye, Colo, Bassong and Enrique tbh.

Taylor has now become a total liability in my eyes, a white Bramble.

Sadly I think you're right, I'd rather have a back line of Beye, Colo, Bassong and Enrique tbh.

Taylor made Bramble look shite, Taylor believes and spouts off that he is good! Yet he dominates and retains his place in the England U21 Team, why?? Is he that good, do they see something that we can't or even don't want to?

Taylor = Whiteus Bramble

At least when Bramble made yet another fuck up you didn't see him waving his arms around and pointing at everyone else as if it were their fault!

Every goal we concede now seems to find Taylor in scarecrow mode, way out of position and often marking Given for some bizzare reason, or he'll either dive in too early when not needed or pull out of a tackle when it is.

Even simple things like last night when West Brom deliberately put a striker right in Given's face,a pretty common tactic and all thats required is for the CB to stand between the striker and keeper and protect him, but Taylor left the guy free to block Given who needless to say couldn't get out to clear the corner and it could have cost us.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

He's a fucking cheat man. And by that I mean he ends up behind Given so often because he's lost his man and (instead of trying to pick him or another man up) he hopes a 'spectacular' goal mouth clearance can pull him out the shit.

He's a fucking cheat man. And by that I mean he ends up behind Given so often because he's lost his man and (instead of trying to pick him or another man up) he hopes a 'spectacular' goal mouth clearance can pull him out the shit.

I agree, i said to my mate that recently he's actualy been improving as instead of being found behind Given he's started to mark him from the front now!

Against the mackems he cost us the first goal by deciding to watch Given instead of Cisse and on the 2nd whilst Butt committed his usual stupid foul, if Taylor hadn't pulled out of his tackle about 15 yards earlier in the run we'd have been defending an easy freekick instead of what we got.

His best effort this season has been at Everton where he attacked well from fullback and being in that position meant he caused us a hell of a lot less trouble in defence than when he's in the centre.

Whereas i think Collocini is looking good considering what he has alongside him and the fact we've had everybody in and out at fullback due to injuries. I know he slipped against West Brom for the goal but he played well and in general has done well for his start in the prem.

collocini's looked a bit shaky in the air so far to me. not sure i'd have him marking carew.

i've quite liked the look of bassong so far - he probably does deserve a run in his prefered position. i agree about taylor too

collocini's looked a bit shaky in the air so far to me. not sure i'd have him marking carew.

i've quite liked the look of bassong so far - he probably does deserve a run in his prefered position. i agree about taylor too

Aye, I'd go Bassong on Carew and Collocini on Agbonhlahor (sp?) too.

I would stick Bassong in with Colo, although Enrique wasnt exactly inspiring at LB, Just hope they play Milner on the right

Think Joey should get the nod at CM and I would stick with Gutherie as Butt is a fuckin liability although I wouldnt rule out JFK stickin Geremi in there with Joey

Guti & Duff done well and should play

Whats the news on Owen?

Even if he`s fit I reckon it will be Ameobi & Oba to start.

Just hope we start like we did in the first half but can carry it through ti the end, plus maybe convert the chances that are created

Bassong will foul the crap out of Carew, and Carew is cagey/experienced enough to milk the most out of it fro the ref's. Colo on him for mine. He needs to be marked tightly, because the pace of Young and Agbonlahor is no doubt going to be getting them in behind our defense, looking to find Carew in the centre.

Oh, and starting Ameobi wouldn't be that bad a decision. Defenders must hate him with a passion. He's great at getting knock-downs (usually to no-one though). BUT he need to be substituted MUCH earlier, as he dies in the arse in the second half, and only puts in when he absolutely has to.

I'm pessimistic about this match. I think they'll have too much in midfield and upfront for us, especially in the last half hour and/or playing on the counter at pace. Hopefully Butt won't play. I'd settle for a draw tbh.

Aye, I'd go Bassong on Carew and Collocini on Agbonhlahor (sp?) too.

As would I.

Taylor is a liability nearly every game with his silliness and wanton arm waving and talking to imaginary friends.