Barton

Ketsbaia

Anyone else here think he's captain material?

He seemed to be talking to everyone, doing the old Paul Bracewell 'manager on the pitch' thing. I can't remember the last time Butt, Owen or Given talked to the players like he did last night. I can't vouch for what goes on in the dressing room but on the pitch he was very vocal.

Obviously I wouldn't throw the armband at him straight away but next season providing he doesn't lamp some 16 year old in Liverpool, when Owen has fucked off and Butt is too old he'd be very close to the top of the list for me.

I'd give him it, his reaction to his penalty was good, he never stopped talking and trying to organise how things were going on the pitch and the longer the game went on the more the crowd seeed to realise what he was about, so yer give hi it

I said exactly the same thing at work but I was mocked. I thought he was great yesterday and I saw a lot of him telling people what to do. I would give him it next season if he doesn't smack someone in the meantime defiantly. Did you see him talking to Colo? :icon_lol: A scouser trying to teach English. Brilliant.

Aye, I saw that bit with Barton giving Colo, who blatantly had no idea what he was saying, an earful after halftime. :icon_lol:

Obviously I'd rather Owen stuck around and he could stay as captain but there are worse choices. I really do hope this is a new Barton and that we can finally lay his off-field troubles to rest.

Personally i think he'd made a good captian. Vocal, works hard and leads by example (on the pitch)

I was captain throughout my school days and for a year in sunday league and it seems to be the general idea that a midfield general is best bet for the captaincy...also being a cunt helps! :icon_lol:

Think he's got a long way to go to be captain. Sends out bad signals to the kids giving it to him, even though he's very vocal and seems to be captain material. He needs to be flawless on and off the pitch for the rest of this season at the very least.

He seemed to be talking to everyone, doing the old Paul Bracewell 'manager on the pitch' thing. I can't remember the last time Butt, Owen or Given talked to the players like he did last night. I can't vouch for what goes on in the dressing room but on the pitch he was very vocal.

Obviously I wouldn't throw the armband at him straight away but next season providing he doesn't lamp some 16 year old in Liverpool, when Owen has fucked off and Butt is too old he'd be very close to the top of the list for me.

yes, and the way he took on the responsibility of that penalty last night proves he's got the mettle for it.

yes, and the way he took on the responsibility of that penalty last night proves he's got the mettle for it.

I like the fact he was all fired up and aggressive (in the right way) and big celebrations after the goal, but for the pen he was cool and calm about it, waiting for the keeper and placing it nicely.

I like the fact he was all fired up and aggressive (in the right way) and big celebrations after the goal, but for the pen he was cool and calm about it, waiting for the keeper and placing it nicely.

its sometimes how I look at footballers. I love footballers who force situations ie make things happen, make a poor ball into a good ball, through sheer determination and desire.....footballers who have belief, and footballers who show mettle like that. It was what made a player like Craig Bellamy so influential when he was here, and last night when Barton grabbed that ball and told Martins [presumably] that he was taking it and no argument.....this is what you need especially when you are down.

I said to my mate [when he was lining up the kick] that even if he didn't score it was great to see him doing what he did.

Ameobi too on saturday did great when he won the free kick, but we know that in his case this is sadly a blip.......he should have been doing this sort of thing for years but he will never do it consistently now.