Poor little Manuel

Happy Face

unfortunately the majority of people who complain are the very people who haven't the sense to watch and or be influenced by such bastions of sanity and considered opinion.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brooker tackles the story

:drinks:

"Jesus Hussain Christ was elected leader of the free world." :icon_lol:

"I'm now so old my pussy is haunted" :icon_lol:;):drinks:

I'd love to see this story looked back on in a decade (assuming history hasn't been re-written by Prudence Brown by then of course).

I'd love to see this story looked back on in a decade (assuming history hasn't been re-written by Prudence Brown by then of course).

Ach, he won't get the chance. A quiet coalition of pensioners, renters and savers will quietly make sure that his attempts to destroy the fabric of society are ultimately punished. Failing that, the entire country going bankrupt should do it.

• 4 months later...

Andrew Sachs thanks Ross and Brand for profile boost

Actor Andrew Sachs has thanked Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand for boosting his profile with the offensive messages affair.

Last October the two presenters left a series of offensive messages on Sachs's telephone answering machine, revealing that Brand had slept with his granddaughter Georgina Baillie, and wondering aloud whether Sachs might kill himself after the revelation. The messages were played on Brand's Radio 2 show, which led to the resignation of Brand and Radio 2 controller Lesley Douglas and the suspension of Ross from the BBC for 12 weeks.

Sachs told the Guardian that the affair had caused pain and embarrassment for his wife Melody and daughter Kate, but admitted that the controversy had been good for his career. "I came out of it very well … my profile's up. Great! They did me good. Thank you very much."

The actor, who made his name as Manuel, the hapless Spanish waiter in the classic television comedy Fawlty Towers, is about to start a short stint in Coronation Street. In today's Weekend magazine he reveals that he told the BBC he was not happy with Brand and Ross's telephone message before it was broadcast and offered to give the show a proper interview, but heard nothing back.

Sachs said the story had been widely misreported. He had not been close to his granddaughter Georgina Baillie, nor was he entirely shocked, as had been suggested, about her line of work as a dominatrix and member of the burlesque dance troupe Satanic Sluts. "I knew what Georgina was doing, sort of. But there was a lot of misquoting going on. I didn't say much. People interpreted that as he's so dignified. I'm not dignified, I just didn't know what to say. What was there to say?"

He denied that he had introduced Baillie to a page three photographer, as his granddaughter had claimed. "My wife and I introduced her to an old friend of ours, a fashion photographer. But it was certainly nothing to do with page three … Georgina has her own life to lead, and she knows my wife and I wouldn't approve." He said he hadn't seen her since the story broke. "I think she's scared stiff of us. She can't cope with it. So she puts it behind her."

He said Ross had considerable talent, but let himself down with the constant sexual innuendo. But he remained unconvinced by Brand. "I think he's aimed at a much younger audience than me. No wonder he doesn't attract many of the more mature generation."

What a cock.

In fairness to him he wasn't making that big a deal out of it.

It was more his granddaughter milking the publicity and the general media complaint train that did.

Although he probably was rubbing his hands together as the story took off.

This bit should probably get as much media attention though. ;)

Don't see that he did anything wrong at all. They played the joke on him and the media blew it up out of all proportion and all he did was answer questions and interviews they all suddenly wanted of him.

Then he took up offers of work that suddenly flooded into his agent thanks to all the media coverage, and why shouldn't he! And all he's saying is that whilst it caused his family some upset he's also got something good out of it.

If he wasn't so bothered about it he could have said so at the time, which would have calmed the furore, kept someone in their job, allowed Ross to continue working, and most importantly, kept all of the shit out of the papers and out of my face.

I'm sure he did say that it had all been blown out of proportion and he wasn't that arsed, but as is often the case, the meeja ran wild with it.