My mate and his christianity.

Park Life

Personally I've nothing major against religions (not in this thread anyhow). But a friend of mine is beginning to bother me with his constant references to Jesus and God and whatnot, to the point where after a few beers I'm finding it difficult to hold my tongue.

What's the consensus on here? Did he really exist and did he really go around making out he was the son of God etc...

My reading always has been is that it was an easily palatable fable for the weak minded and Jesus was more of a tricky character (if he existed) than generally portrayed.

There was a child named Jesus born to Mary and Joseph.

Is he the son of God? Not in my book, more likely he was a preacher of somesort whos legend grew and grew.

I asked the question on NO a while back as to whether it would be possible to create a myth or legend today that would still be spoken off/believed in years to come. Due to the access to news and media the consensus was probably not, but back in the olden days it would be plausible to create such a story.

I'd also go as far to say that all of the disciples existed and probably had some contact with 'Jesus'

The rest of it is all hearsay and hysteria (imo of course)

Sounds like a bit of a cult.

A cult would be far more interesting.

He sits there now (with non-alcoholic beer) going on about my behavior and my propensity to tell endless well crafted idiotic fibs and stories. A side of my persona which I always filed under pub chat/banter.

There was a child named Jesus born to Mary and Joseph.

Is he the son of God? Not in my book, more likely he was a preacher of somesort whos legend grew and grew.

I asked the question on NO a while back as to whether it would be possible to create a myth or legend today that would still be spoken off/believed in years to come. Due to the access to news and media the consensus was probably not, but back in the olden days it would be plausible to create such a story.

I'd also go as far to say that all of the disciples existed and probably had some contact with 'Jesus'

The rest of it is all hearsay and hysteria (imo of course)

This is the ballpark I'm in.

Oh and when I refer him to the malicious and violent god of the old testament, he dismissed that as made up!!

I would like to think there is.

I pray everynight, it makes me feel a little easier. I prayed when my mother had cancer, didnt seem to work, but at the point she went then she was in no pain, so maybe he did answer my prays, he works in mysterious ways IMO.

However, pushing your religion onto someone is not right IMO. Everyone has their views on it. My gfriend didnt know I prayed up until earlier this year, when I was trying to pray and she wouldnt shut up. I would try and start and it was "blah blah" then I try again and then "blah blah" etc etc until I said to her, "Shut the fuck up Im trying to pray"

She thought I was a little odd :icon_lol:

I have no problems with religion really, apart from all the wars it starts, but those who try push their believes onto other people do my tits in. Also, I thought religion was about not judging people, so why do they still want homosexuals to burn in hell?

I have no problems with religion really, apart from all the wars it starts, but those who try push their believes onto other people do my tits in. Also, I thought religion was about not judging people, so why do they still want homosexuals to burn in hell?

It's not, it is about controlling people, it just so happens one of the best way to control people is to foster them and us attitudes.

It always amuses me that Christian Athletes never blame God or Jesus for a defeat, they are so quick to give them credit for a victory, I'd have a lot more respect for them if there was more fist waving at the heavens after a loss.

I pray everynight, it makes me feel a little easier. I prayed when my mother had cancer, didnt seem to work, but at the point she went then she was in no pain, so maybe he did answer my prays, he works in mysterious ways IMO.

However, pushing your religion onto someone is not right IMO. Everyone has their views on it. My gfriend didnt know I prayed up until earlier this year, when I was trying to pray and she wouldnt shut up. I would try and start and it was "blah blah" then I try again and then "blah blah" etc etc until I said to her, "Shut the fuck up Im trying to pray"

I can fathom someone believing in something more. I can fathom wanting to belong to a group of believers. I can fathom the desire to believe that EVERYTHING is either pre-ordained or in the control of something.

For the life of me though, I'm afraid I can't for one second comprehend a grown person hoping for stuff to happen so much that they ask an imaginary friend to make it happen. Just toss a coin - "heads I get my promotion" - and thank chance rather than god.

Because their gay :icon_lol:

Aye, its so contradictory its unbeleiveable

I can fathom someone believing in something more. I can fathom wanting to belong to a group of believers. I can fathom the desire to believe that EVERYTHING is either pre-ordained or in the control of something.

For the life of me though, I'm afraid I can't for one second comprehend a grown person hoping for stuff to happen so much that they ask an imaginary friend to make it happen. Just toss a coin - "heads I get my promotion" - and thank chance rather than god.

I know what you mean. Ive alsways prayed since I was a kid as I went to a CoE school and we would pray every morning and evening so I think its from that. It just puts my mind at reast when I goto bed. Its a quick one not long winded.

Weird I know but hey, thats me!

I know what you mean. Ive alsways prayed since I was a kid as I went to a CoE school and we would pray every morning and evening so I think its from that. It just puts my mind at reast when I goto bed. Its a quick one not long winded.

Just knock one out, I find that does the trick. :)

Hey, go for it. I can't comprehend anyone following Sunderland either. :)

Just knock one out, I find that does the trick. :lol:

Well, after the recent events I am usually warn out from that when it comes to bed time :)

There is no substantial proof he existed but depsite my atheism I accept that he did (though pointing out the lack of non-biblical proof is fun). Obviously the supernatural bits are bollocks and a lot of his quotes were made up a lot later as Paul established the church and defined it for his needs and then later by the council of Nicae as they defined it for their political needs at the time.

Lot of good stuff in the ethics but it all falls under stating the bleeding obvious imo as funnily enough the same tenets appear in all the other religions.

The christian concept of original sin which defines us as flawed at a fundamental level is however an evil doctrine in my view.

The christian concept of original sin which defines us as flawed at a fundamental level is however an evil doctrine in my view.

Well it's kind of true, without ego or desire humanity would be a lot nice (it's in the Quran too).

Although it's still just a control method.

I used to work with a bloke who was very religious. He never pushed it onto other people or anything though. He was a genuinely nice fella to be honest and he was mega-intelligent to boot. Despite this I could never really take him seriously because of his Christian beliefs, although that probably says more about me than him.

Watch the God Channel on Sky. It's class. We were watching the Florida Outpouring a few weeks ago, entertainment at it's best. What kind of organisation can get away with telling people they no longer have terminal cancer because God just told them and sing songs about how evil homosexuality is. Yes, the church.

The first time I went to Florida when I was about 12 or 13 I was fucking hooked on those tele-evangelists they have over there. Someone screaming 'praise the Lord!' with the numbers for credit card donations scrolling along the bottom of the screen. Hilarious.

The old Vicar from my local Church was an absolutely smashing bloke. He left the Church about 9 years ago. When my mother died 3 years ago he came round to see my father and myself and my brothers and sister. He didnt say anything about religion or he will pray for us etc, he was a real genuine nice guy.