Cheap Beer

jaythesouthernmag

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like those Samuel Smith's lagers you can get in London. Went through a phase of drinking in a pub called De Hems in the late 90s and got addicted to Oranjeboom, but I've went right off it recently.

My all time favourite lager is a Cypriot beer called Keo, the asians near Jesmond Dene bridge is the only place in Newcastle I know who sell it.

I used to like Oranjeboom too but I find it a bit bland these days. Keo is lovely btw. Organically brewed iirc. They make wines and spirits and stuff but the beer they do is the best. The place you're on about is Rehill's btw.

Real ales taste like piss as well imo.

Continental lager man?

I like continental lager if it's decent stuff. I also like Belgian beers (the blond ones in general), wheat beers and you can't whack a nice pint of Guiness (a shit pint of it is awful though). I quite like the occasional Brown Ale as well and stuff like Smitheck's (sp?) and London Pride is nice as well. Sorry if that's crushed your stereoptype.

I terms of ales, I'll drink

Guinness

London Pride

Bombardier

Theakstons Old Perculiar (shite)

Timothy Taylor's 'Landlord'

The rest, you can keep.

FYP.

Real ales taste like piss as well imo.

Continental lager man?

I like continental lager if it's decent stuff. I also like Belgian beers (the blond ones in general), wheat beers and you can't whack a nice pint of Guiness (a shit pint of it is awful though). I quite like the occasional Brown Ale as well and stuff like Smitheck's (sp?) and London Pride is nice as well. Sorry if that's crushed your stereoptype.

I terms of ales, I'll drink

Guinness

London Pride

Bombardier

Theakstons Old Perculiar (shite)

Timothy Taylor's 'Landlord'

The rest, you can keep.

FYP.

Which part of the "I'll drink" bit did you not understand Sammy? :D

Im a big fan of Erdinger but not wheat beer in general and I fell in love with Peroni Grand Reserva in Rome earlier this year.

Favourite Ales are: London Pride, TT Landlord, Bombardier, Fursty Ferret or anything from the Rebellion brewery.

A Fursty Ferret top? :D

For stuff I like to drink for the taste. :-

Corona/Desperado

Cobra

Leffe

Heineken

Guiness

For Pro Evo with the lads/Pre night out carry on

Carlsberg Export

Carling

Fosters

Erdinger's nice stuff. Kristalls (sp?) are nice as they are wheat (or white) beers that are filtered and therefore clear. Erdinger do one. My fav 'bierre de luxe' would have to be either Krusovice (as a session beer :D ) - really nice Czech pilsner - better than Staropramen and Budvar (which are both v. nice) or Duvel which is lush but has to be served well chilled and is rocket fuel tbf. Grimbergen blond is another favourite.

They sell Duval in the Morrisons by me. I have been scared of it up until now (8%) but if you say it tastes alright.

Erdinger's nice stuff. Kristalls (sp?) are nice as they are wheat (or white) beers that are filtered and therefore clear. Erdinger do one. My fav 'bierre de luxe' would have to be either Krusovice (as a session beer :woosh: ) - really nice Czech pilsner - better than Staropramen and Budvar (which are both v. nice) or Duvel which is lush but has to be served well chilled and is rocket fuel tbf. Grimbergen blond is another favourite.

They sell Duval in the Morrisons by me. I have been scared of it up until now (8%) but if you say it tastes alright.

I think your original perception was bang on Alex... :D

Corona/Desperado

Cobra

Leffe

Heineken

Guiness

Carlsberg Export

Carling

Fosters

Would rather drink the piss of a jock tramp who has just drunk 4 bottles of buckfast.

Corona/Desperado

Cobra

Leffe

Heineken

Guiness

Carlsberg Export

Carling

Fosters

Would rather drink the piss of a jock tramp who has just drunk 4 bottles of buckfast.

Heineken isn't a bad lager on draught tbf. Definitely a cut above the others highlighted.

Corona/Desperado

Cobra

Leffe

Heineken

Guiness

Carlsberg Export

Carling

Fosters

Heineken isn't a bad lager on draught tbf. Definitely a cut above the others highlighted.

It's funny you say that, because I've drunk it in Amsterdam and it's alright, but here oh dear..it's mad, and it's exactly the same with Stella, had some in Brussells really nice, here I can't get away with it.

Kristalls (sp?) are nice as they are wheat (or white) beers that are filtered and therefore clear. Erdinger do one.

Kristall would definitely be my drink of choice on a night out in Jormany. Tastes a bit strange over here, but that's no doubt all in the head.

Kristalls (sp?) are nice as they are wheat (or white) beers that are filtered and therefore clear. Erdinger do one.

Kristall would definitely be my drink of choice on a night out in Jormany. Tastes a bit strange over here, but that's no doubt all in the head.

Has the correct way to pour it into a glass reached England yet?

Anyway, I've nearly finished working for today. On the way back I'll make a quick visit to the supermarket. Probably get myself a couple of bottles of Franziskaner or Paulaner. Erdinger isn't really one of the better German wheat beers tbh.

Were you giving the English bar staff hell the last time you were over then? :D

Corona/Desperado

Cobra

Leffe

Heineken

Guiness

Carlsberg Export

Carling

Fosters

& Heineken I just like :D

Anyway, I've nearly finished working for today. On the way back I'll make a quick visit to the supermarket. Probably get myself a couple of bottles of Franziskaner or Paulaner. Erdinger isn't really one of the better German wheat beers tbh.

I like Bitburger and have started to drink a fair bit of it since Tesco started stocking it regularly. Is it considered ok or shite in Germany, Wolfy?

I like Bitburger and have started to drink a fair bit of it since Tesco started stocking it regularly. Is it considered ok or shite in Germany, Wolfy?

Depends a bit. Beer taste in regards to "Pils" is very much a regional thing in Jormany. Bitburger is well liked in the west, but probably not so much in the south I'd say because it's rather dry and aromatic. I reckon it's a decent beer though.

Depends a bit. Beer taste in regards to "Pils" is very much a regional thing in Jormany. Bitburger is well liked in the west, but probably not so much in the south I'd say because it's rather dry and aromatic. I reckon it's a decent beer though.

I think thats why I go for it tbf-bit more complex than UK shite but without going the whole hog and becoming a marginalised taste. Went well with loads of food over the summer.

Only beer they sell in the Vineyard. Nobby's old stomping ground.

That shit stops me going in there!! It's horrid.

Lager doesn't need to be a taste sensation for me, it just needs to be cold and wet..

Having said that there is a boozer near me that sells Heineken, Paulaner and Peroni on draught. I like them all.

Corona/Desperado

Cobra

Leffe

Heineken

Guiness

Carlsberg Export

Carling

Fosters

It's funny you say that, because I've drunk it in Amsterdam and it's alright, but here oh dear..it's mad, and it's exactly the same with Stella, had some in Brussells really nice, here I can't get away with it.

The Heineken you get here now (in bottles anyway, not that many places I would drink draught lager) is the same as the stuff you get in Holland. It didn't used to be though. For some reason we got a shitty 4% pale imitation of the real thing. It's a canny lager imo.

Corona/Desperado

Cobra

Leffe

Heineken

Guiness

Carlsberg Export

Carling

Fosters

The Heineken you get here now (in bottles anyway, not that many places I would drink draught lager) is the same as the stuff you get in Holland. It didn't used to be though. For some reason we got a shitty 4% pale imitation of the real thing. It's a canny lager imo.

I know a couple of places that do the full fat version on draught and it's ticketyboo tbf. You're quite right to make the distinction though as the UK domestic market version of the stuff is a waste of time.