5Live Conspiracy Theory

Rob W

Last night that American guy with the Italian name was saying that he'd heard people say the obvious thing to do was to wait until NUFC go down and then buy them - you'd get it for a knock down price and instead of pouring cash into Ashley's pocket you could use it to take them straight back up again ....................

the rest of the panel weren't that convinced TBH

I thin kit sounds great in theory but ................

Gabriel Marcotti? Full of shit to be honest. He's on a par with a shit message board wum, i.e. just says controversial things to get a reaction.

Yeah, wait for a club to lose a good chunk of its income, be in a position to lose a good chunk of its assets for a loss (or keep those assets with an unsustainable wage bill, set against the aforementioned dramatically reduced income), and then buy it. Sounds like a fucking brilliant idea.

Gabriel Marcotti? Full of shit to be honest. He's on a par with a shit message board wum, i.e. just says controversial things to get a reaction.

As soon as I read "American with Italina name" I knew it had to be that mong-tard!

Best thing Talksport ever did was getting rid of him - didn't realise the BBC had been so stupid like.

In theory its a pretty good idea. Going down even at this stage of the season is a real possibility and we'd be foolish to think otherwise. The thing is I reckon gates would still be about 40k even in the Championship for the first season. Provided that the money was there on starting the season, then there would be a good chance of going back up. It wouldnt be like Leeds as they were seriously in debt, had to clear masses of it so basically sold everyone. Im sure we'd lose the majority of the first team but then it would be a massive rebuilding job to get back into the league and back up the league. Its certainly one of the worst case scenarios and hopefully it wont happen but its something that needs to be considered when its the start of November and we're in the bottom 3.

Yep, I agree.

Current price is £280 million? if we went down then I'd guess he'd be lucky to get half of that. So the prospective buyers then have £140million to buy players with. Guarantee a couple of fairly big names that they'd have the wages and be in the Premiership next year and you're up and running. Go on a 13 match winning run and suddenly the world loves you (as long as fucking Grimsby dont get in the way :icon_lol: ). Finally theres nothing like winning a trophy so grabbing another Championship trophy wouldnt exactly be a bad start to the new owners careers. Another year down the line and they're fully ensconsed with the fans.

Its a much less risky investment tbh, pay out £280million now and spend £20million in January wont guarantee us any kind of season and within months they could be seen as the people who took us down not Ashley. Let him take the shit for it and they can take the glory the season after.

I'd still rather we didnt do that though. :)

Why would Ashley sell if we went down? The only chance he'd have of recouping a decent amount of money would be to bring us back up first.

This is the man who bets on banking shares going up when the whole world is collapsing. The man who buys well respected companies so he can turn their shops into shithole charver places. The same man who goes to Bahrain to sell a club but then spends the day getting ratarsed during Ramadan and generally pissing off the people hes trying to get onside.

Regardless of all that I think he would sell because basically he has no bottle, hes already proved that so imagine if he took us down he'd never want anything to do with it again. More importantly though the concept of investment is not something hes comfortable with, I reckon that he would strip this club of every asset it had, knowing that somewhere down the line someone with a love for the club and enough cash would take it off his hands just to stop it dying.

Yep, I agree.

Current price is £280 million? if we went down then I'd guess he'd be lucky to get half of that. So the prospective buyers then have £140million to buy players with. Guarantee a couple of fairly big names that they'd have the wages and be in the Premiership next year and you're up and running. Go on a 13 match winning run and suddenly the world loves you (as long as fucking Grimsby dont get in the way :icon_lol: ). Finally theres nothing like winning a trophy so grabbing another Championship trophy wouldnt exactly be a bad start to the new owners careers. Another year down the line and they're fully ensconsed with the fans.

Its a much less risky investment tbh, pay out £280million now and spend £20million in January wont guarantee us any kind of season and within months they could be seen as the people who took us down not Ashley. Let him take the shit for it and they can take the glory the season after.

I'd still rather we didnt do that though. :)

I think it's pretty preposterous to think that us not being in the Premiership would make us more attractive. Yeah you get us at a bit of a discount (it wouldn't be half price btw), but you're buying a mountain of problems. The sort of people that want to purchase us, and the sort of people that we want to purchase us, are the sort of people who want to be in the Premiership, and all of the trappings that go with it. If we get relegated, they'll turn their attentions elsewhere, not think ooooo goodo, that's knocked a bit off the price, let's buy ourselves a club in the Championship instead and try and build it back up.

Yep, I agree.

Current price is £280 million? if we went down then I'd guess he'd be lucky to get half of that. So the prospective buyers then have £140million to buy players with. Guarantee a couple of fairly big names that they'd have the wages and be in the Premiership next year and you're up and running. Go on a 13 match winning run and suddenly the world loves you (as long as fucking Grimsby dont get in the way :lol: ). Finally theres nothing like winning a trophy so grabbing another Championship trophy wouldnt exactly be a bad start to the new owners careers. Another year down the line and they're fully ensconsed with the fans.

I'd still rather we didnt do that though. :lol:

Thats his biggest problem.......the club is worth about half what he wants for it.Has it progressed either as a business or on the pitch since he bought it? I think the answer on both counts is no. So why would any self respecting billionaire buy it for double the price of what it is worth?

MA's biggest mistake is not doing due dilligence to uncover what he claims were "hidden debts". These were apparently 110mill, which he has coveniently tacked on to the asking price.........and he's surprised he can't sell in a financial market that makes The Wall Street Crash" look like a walk in the park.

The bloke is a born gambler, has been all his life, and this is one he's going to lose out on.........sadly he runs the risk of taking NUFC down with him. And regardless of what the bloke on the radio says that would be a disaster for Ashley and us.

Yep, I agree.

Current price is £280 million? if we went down then I'd guess he'd be lucky to get half of that. So the prospective buyers then have £140million to buy players with. Guarantee a couple of fairly big names that they'd have the wages and be in the Premiership next year and you're up and running. Go on a 13 match winning run and suddenly the world loves you (as long as fucking Grimsby dont get in the way :lol: ). Finally theres nothing like winning a trophy so grabbing another Championship trophy wouldnt exactly be a bad start to the new owners careers. Another year down the line and they're fully ensconsed with the fans.

I think it's pretty preposterous to think that us not being in the Premiership would make us more attractive. Yeah you get us at a bit of a discount (it wouldn't be half price btw), but you're buying a mountain of problems. The sort of people that want to purchase us, and the sort of people that we want to purchase us, are the sort of people who want to be in the Premiership, and all of the trappings that go with it. If we get relegated, they'll turn their attentions elsewhere, not think ooooo goodo, that's knocked a bit off the price, let's buy ourselves a club in the Championship instead and try and build it back up.

I agree it wouldnt make us more attractive but I would argue that those who are wary of taking over will see it as smaller risk. If you were going to buy it but couldnt get the money together until February then would you buy it then? or would you wait and see what happened? Buy in February and you have little control over what happens, no player purchases to save us. You'd be relying on whatever was left following the expected exodus. Take over in Feb, we go down in May and you get the blame. Take us over when we're already down, pay less for it, bring us straight back up and Greys monument would be replaced by Gemmills mount.

Yep, I agree.

I agree it wouldnt make us more attractive but I would argue that those who are wary of taking over will see it as smaller risk. If you were going to buy it but couldnt get the money together until February then would you buy it then? or would you wait and see what happened? Buy in February and you have little control over what happens, no player purchases to save us. You'd be relying on whatever was left following the expected exodus. Take over in Feb, we go down in May and you get the blame. Take us over when we're already down, pay less for it, bring us straight back up and Greys monument would be replaced by Gemmills mount.

I said this on Newcastle Online a few weeks ago. Pay less, get back quickly - doesn't fit with what we want in the short term but from the point of view of a buyer ........

I said this on Newcastle Online a few weeks ago. Pay less, get back quickly - doesn't fit with what we want in the short term but from the point of view of a buyer ........

Exactly, take off our emotional NUFC fan heads and look at it in terms of cold hard cash and how they look to the fans and it makes sense. Even down to merchandising and national press view. Core merchandising would not be affected, Newcastle fans will buy stuff, when times are crap like now (ignoring the boycott) people will buy small amounts but if we're doing well sales of shirts, scarves etc will rocket. That is regardless of where exactly we are doing well.

Press wise, they love an underdog, suddenly we will become that, the big boys who fell on hard times and are now paying their pennance. Christ the last time we did it we were the countries favourite second team, reporters were falling over themselves to use words such as "entertainers" and "plucky".

Yes they will have a reduced income on the 1st year from Sky and other Premiership related input but other things will increase (as long as we're doing well) but it will be irrelevant anyway because they'll have saved a lot more in the short term.

And Gemmill, I'd argue that it will be less than £140million, the clubs not worth much more than that now.

Just to point out though, regardless of how good a bit business I think it is, Im not buying the club therefore I want us to stay firmly up.

Relegation would be a disaster but it wouldn't be the end.

If we went down I'm not sure how long it would take us to put together a good Premier League side or how much investment it would take but we can't exactly say we have been behaving like a Premier League outfit as it is.

As for admiration of the press I couldn't care, people hate us and newspapers hate us but I'm not fussed.

I think he's a decent bloke who puts his own point of view (bit like mesel)

:lol:

My comparison was apt then.