LATE FIXTURE

Tottenham v Liverpool (1730)

A bore draw at Goodison so far!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit early in the season to be hoping and cheering certain results based on who ought to be at the bottom with us (or whoever we're contending with for whatever positions). At this stage I'm firmly cheering on teams based on who I like/don't like, e.g. very much enjoyed stoke over the mackems, and don't think that would change till a few games to go.

If we're so bad that we're relying on other teams' results, then we deserve relegation

If we're so bad that we're relying on other teams' results, then we deserve relegation

Well, we are that bad. Who we as fans rely on for results is irrelevant anyway as it's the players that matter, but it's plain wrong-thinking to think that the points that the teams around us are picking up now will have no bearing on us come May.

Well, we are that bad. Who we as fans rely on for results is irrelevant anyway as it's the players that matter, but it's plain wrong-thinking to think that the points that the teams around us are picking up now will have no bearing on us come May.

I see your point, but I just don't think that today's/tomorrow's/next week's etc results will make the difference. By and large there's little fluctuation in the number of points that teams need to avoid relegation (its more in the points that relegated teams have), and we'll either achieve it or we won't. All that the result between Fulham and Everton does is make Fulham a tiny bit more likely to be a team we may be battling with.... I don't think that sort of result has any relevance of whether we'll end up fighting for our lives or not.

I see your point, but I just don't think that today's/tomorrow's/next week's etc results will make the difference. By and large there's little fluctuation in the number of points that teams need to avoid relegation (its more in the points that relegated teams have), and we'll either achieve it or we won't. All that the result between Fulham and Everton does is make Fulham a tiny bit more likely to be a team we may be battling with.... I don't think that sort of result has any relevance of whether we'll end up fighting for our lives or not.

Of course today's, tomorrow's, and next week's results will make the difference. The point is that it's everything that happens during the season that affects where you eventually end up. Going into the last weekend needing a win makes it seem like everything hinges on that result, but it doesn't. It's the culmination of all of our results, and just as importantly the results of the teams around us. The fewer points those teams pick up now, the less points they will have at the end of the season, and the further they will be below us (hopefully!). Now if we drop points at a rate quicker than them, then we're fucked anyway, but if you assume (as I do), that we're gonna be in the thick of it come May, then these results all matter.

SATURDAY'S 1500 GMT GAMES

Chelsea 4-0 Sunderland

Man Utd 3-1 Hull City

Middlesbrough 0-1 West Ham

Portsmouth 0-1 Wigan

Stoke City 1-0 Arsenal

West Brom 0-1 Blackburn

LATE FIXTURE

Tottenham v Liverpool (1730)

RESULT

Everton 1-0 Fulham

I feel like Fop now btw. :icon_lol:

I best be careful, don't want to be responsible for another Fop!! :)

Out of interest these are the points required to finish 4th bottom since 2000/01 (42, 40, 44, 39, 34, 38, 38, 36). Not really sure what that proves, but I had a look and thought it was worth putting up.

I think that results between 2 teams will contribute mainly to the relative positions of those two teams within the league, rather than significantly altering the number of points required for 4th bottom. If Stoke win today and go on a 15 game winning run, I still think the points needed for 4th bottom would be much of a muchness. I guess the only time it becomes significant would be if you have 3 teams considerably worse than the rest of the league, then one of those 3 start getting results and begins dragging the mid table back into things.

Maybe you're right, but for me I'm only concerned with Newcastle's results (from a Newcastle point of view) until maybe March, then I start looking where other teams might prosper or slip up and how that will affect us. Today, I'm firmly hoping that Stoke hold on against Arsenal, mainly because its STOKE against ARSENAL