More Goals please

The Fish

Obefami Martins is looking to use his goal in the win over West Brom as a springboard after a difficult start to the campaign.

After the death of his mother in July Martins began the season with a goal in the opening game at Old Trafford but then hit a barren spell as Newcastle's season threatened to derail.

"Yeah, it has been difficult for me" he reflected ahead of the St James' Park clash against Aston Villa.

"To score my goal against West Brom since the first goal of the season is a big relief.

"I hope to score plenty of goals now to make up for lost time."

Selfish

The 24 year-old striker, signed from Inter Milan for £10million in 2006 also revealed that interim manager Joe Kinnear has told him to be more selfish in front of goal.

"I take on board what the manager says but if there is a better pass on, of course I will pass it.

"But if there is a chance to be taken, I will be going for goal. I know what I have to do now."

Martins is likely to form a strike partnership with Shola Amoebi against Villa, with Michael Owen on the bench.

He said: "Shola always tries his best.

"He has scored two goals in the last few games and won us a penalty.

"We play well together and have a good understanding on and off the field. I think we can score goals together.

"We must work together and make this partnership work. We need to continue our winning streak, and the home games are the best chance to do that.

"It's good to go into this one knowing we won our last match. We are confident and looking forward to Aston Villa."

"I take on board what the manager says but if there is a better pass on, of course I will pass it.

I'd rather he didn't after seeing some of his attempts on Tuesday. There was one where he had a team mate (probs duff) a couple of yards in front and maybe 10 yards wide, and his pass was so bad that even though it was underhit, duff couldn't keep it in.