Any network technicians in?

peasepud

WTF is this?

Just moved into a new house and this is in the cupboard with the fusebox and such.

box.jpg

In each room we have 2 sockets, one for the phone line and the other an ethernet socket, is it possible that I can stick my router in the cupboard and wire it into this box therefore allowing me to hard wire PCs via ethernet (through those sockets) rather than use the wireless?

Or is it even easier than Im imaginging, can I just plug the ethernet from the router into one of the rooms sockets and then the other sockets will pick it up?

No longer residing in Pud Towers then ? :icon_lol:

Nope, its still there at the mo but I've moved most of the stuff over now so Pud Towers is now just an office :lol:

Uh and cheers Karl, if I plug it in and blow the house mind then skinheads offering blow jobs will be the least of your worries :)

option number 2 should work

Nope, I plugged the router into one socket and a PC into another but nowt, Im guessing this "phone host panel" needs more than just the two cables connected up inside it.

Is it just a patch panel? It's hard to tell from the picture.

Nope, I plugged the router into one socket and a PC into another but nowt, Im guessing this "phone host panel" needs more than just the two cables connected up inside it.

Not got a clue, what it is though is 2 strips of ethernet connectors one strip is labelled 1-1,1-2,1-3,1-4,2-1,2-2 etc through to 4-4 the other is numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.

There are two ethernet cables in the box joining ports 1-1 to 1 and 1-2 to 3.

In each room we have 2 sockets, room 1 numbered 1, 2. Room 2 is numbered 3, 4 etc etc each of the odd numbers is a telephone socket and the evens are ethernet sockets.

The panel is labelled with "Advanced Net" and "phone host panel" Ive tried googling but no joy.

Not got a clue, what it is though is 2 strips of ethernet connectors one strip is labelled 1-1,1-2,1-3,1-4,2-1,2-2 etc through to 4-4 the other is numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.

There are two ethernet cables in the box joining ports 1-1 to 1 and 1-2 to 3.

In each room we have 2 sockets, room 1 numbered 1, 2. Room 2 is numbered 3, 4 etc etc each of the odd numbers is a telephone socket and the evens are ethernet sockets.

The panel is labelled with "Advanced Net" and "phone host panel" Ive tried googling but no joy.

I guess it's just 2 patch panels then (whether the phone one is wired to 568 :lol:).

If I'm understanding correctly it should be that all your "network" points terminate in the network panel and all your "phone" points terminate in the phone panel (the numbers should match up in some way at either end, you'll have to break the code though I guess :lol: ). They may well be wired so you can use them all as ethernet points, depending on what phone system they had in previously.

You should just be able to connect your hub/router to the relevant "Advanced Net" panel number and a computer to the corresponding outlet socket number in whichever room.