US Election 2008

Douggy B

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tell you what scares the shit out of me

if McCain dies in his first term. Sarah Palin will be President.

try and comprehend that.

try.

No worse than having George W in charge. You dont honestly believe he gets the final say in anything do you?

I am a bit bemused by the seemingly overriding belief that Obama is the second coming though, that he will heal all things, solve all conflicts and generally bring peace and joy to the world.

I suspect he won't. ;)

Living on the edge with your predictions as ever. :lol:

I imagine most thinking Americans are just delighted at the prospect of having an articulate and intelligent man in charge of their country again. (Even if he's not "really" in charge - and hopefully he'll be intelligent enough not to be. After all, even Dubya knows the value of having a strong team around you.) And following his successful candidature, it's only natural that the sheer relief has snowballed into a degree of hyperbole over time. That said, Obama has taken a real chance with his fairly low-key, Kerry-esque campaign - relying on McCain screwing up enough (which I think he may have done, even if I'll lose a whole ten pounds at Paddy Power if he loses) to outweigh the obvious disadvantages of the way he's played things.

If everything goes to the formbook tomorrow then Obama will win fairly comfortably, but the combination of voting scams and what I suppose we'd know as the "Shy Tory Factor" inevitably loom on the horizon. And there's still 24 hours or so for a new Bin Laden tape to materialise. :lol:

I've been following the polls at RCP for the last couple of weeks and it looks to me like it would take serious fraud for the Republicans to win now.

They might be able to fiddle one or two swing states but not enough imo.

I said if Bush got in I'd be going to hide in the nearest bunker, and I think that wasn't too far off the truth. I'm saying the same with McCain. I mean, the man can't even raise his arms up. And he's going to be charge of the world. Come on.

I am a bit bemused by the seemingly overriding belief that Obama is the second coming though, that he will heal all things, solve all conflicts and generally bring peace and joy to the world.

I suspect he won't. ;)

I imagine most thinking Americans are just delighted at the prospect of having an articulate and intelligent man in charge of their country again. (Even if he's not "really" in charge - and hopefully he'll be intelligent enough not to be. After all, even Dubya knows the value of having a strong team around you.) And following his successful candidature, it's only natural that the sheer relief has snowballed into a degree of hyperbole over time. That said, Obama has taken a real chance with his fairly low-key, Kerry-esque campaign - relying on McCain screwing up enough (which I think he may have done, even if I'll lose a whole ten pounds at Paddy Power if he loses) to outweigh the obvious disadvantages of the way he's played things.

If everything goes to the formbook tomorrow then Obama will win fairly comfortably, but the combination of voting scams and what I suppose we'd know as the "Shy Tory Factor" inevitably loom on the horizon. And there's still 24 hours or so for a new Bin Laden tape to materialise. :lol:

Aye, but you're still assuming he's not going to make some royal mess, or in fact that he's going to be able to sort out current messes (withdrawing from either Iraq or Afghanistan may well result in more long term problems than staying, but equally staying is obviously no bed of roses).

Take Clinton, he made some mistakes (mostly inaction, which is always more deniable :D), but broadly didn't have anything too directly terrible to deal with (except Hilary - who frankly has already been the first female President of the USA IMO). How would he have reacted to 9/11? No one, including himself I suspect, has a clue.

But Obama is definitely been seen as some White (or Black - which is ironic in itself given his actual genetic make up) Knight riding to the rescue to bring peace to the kingdom.

I said if Bush got in I'd be going to hide in the nearest bunker, and I think that wasn't too far off the truth. I'm saying the same with McCain. I mean, the man can't even raise his arms up. And he's going to be charge of the world. Come on.

:lol:

Wasn't the use of his arms was tortured out of him?

He's like Cotton off King of The Hill.

I suspect he won't. ;)

Aye, but you're still assuming he's not going to make some royal mess, or in fact that he's going to be able to sort out current messes (withdrawing from either Iraq or Afghanistan may well result in more long term problems than staying, but equally staying is obviously no bed of roses).

Take Clinton, he made some mistakes (mostly inaction, which is always more deniable :D), but broadly didn't have anything too directly terrible to deal with (except Hilary - who frankly has already been the first female President of the USA IMO). How would he have reacted to 9/11? No one, including himself I suspect, has a clue.

But Obama is definitely been seen as some White (or Black - which is ironic in itself given his actual genetic make up) Knight riding to the rescue to bring peace to the kingdom.

The WTC was attacked on Clinton's watch too you know?

No I'm not. I'm just saying that, for all there may be some people saying he's going to come along and make everything right, the sense of optimism he engenders - whether rightly or wrongly - has more grounded origins than a vague sense of him being the right celebrity at the right time.

Of course it could all go tits-up. Hell, if things had turned out differently in Florida in 2000 then we might be seeing Al Gore castigated as the worst president ever because of his handling of September 11th.

I suspect he won't. :D

Living on the edge with your predictions as ever. ;)

Yes, with a slightly different outcome however. :lol:

Wasn't the use of his arms was tortured out of him?

He's like Cotton off King of The Hill.

Speaking of which (or similar), this has some interesting parts. I can't comment on its accuracy.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/233..._maverick/print

No I'm not. I'm just saying that, for all there may be some people saying he's going to come along and make everything right, the sense of optimism he engenders - whether rightly or wrongly - has more grounded origins than a vague sense of him being the right celebrity at the right time.

Of course it could all go tits-up. Hell, if things had turned out differently in Florida in 2000 then we might be seeing Al Gore castigated as the worst president ever because of his handling of September 11th.

I dunno, his machine knows how to market him definitely, whether he'll be any different to anyone else that manages to get there, I'm not so sure.

He's got to be better than Hilary though, sent from the future to destroy humanity as she was.

He will win and he won't be killed. :lol:

No, THIS tbh. Race has barely been an issue in this election.

Just because our "fair and balanced" media hasn't been talking about it, don't for a second think that race hasn't been a factor in this election. If Obama had a last name like "Jones", looked a little more like Joe Biden, and was running on the same platform, the polls wouldn't even be remotely close. Race is totally the elephant in the room nobody's talking about.

Race in this country is funny. I don't know maybe I have a bad frame of reference or something, but it seemed like racism got a little less prevalent back in the '90s, but then had a resurgence around the time the Bush Administration (not saying I'm blaming him) fired up. Maybe it correlates with our economy; I don't know. I know I hear more comments out in public now that I did back in '93 or '94 for example.

As to him getting assassinated; he'll be shot if they want him to get shot. Secret Service works extensively with local and state law enforcement every time anybody remotely important makes an appearance in public. When Clinton did the "Poor Tour" back in '98 he stopped at spoke at the 10 most economically depressed and crime-ridden cities in the U.S. My father-in-law was a captain of one of the police departments in the town next to one of the stops and they consulted with him along with law enforcement in the rest of the neighboring cities.

The highlight? A 10 year old kid tried to sell him and the agents some crack when they were location scouting in East St. Louis.

Edited by Cid_MCDP

Aye, the perpetrators were treated as the criminals they are, rounded up, given a fair trial and sentenced to life imprisonment.

That kind of inaction is dangerous like, the President needs to be a doer like Bush who can blame the concept of terror for such an attack and create perpetual war from that notion. Nice little earner.

Aye, the perpetrators were treated as the criminals they are, rounded up, given a fair trial and sentenced to life imprisonment.

That kind of inaction is dangerous like, the President needs to be a doer like Bush who can blame the concept of terror for such an attack and create perpetual war from that notion. Nice little earner.

Also a slightly fewer towers were destroyed and slightly fewer people were killed. :D

(also are you saying Afghanistan should have been left how it was? :scratchchin:)

Edited by Fop

(also are you saying Afghanistan should have been left how it was? :lol:)

Given how instrumental Afghanistan was in the US plan to bankrupt the Soviet Union, I'd have tried the best I could to steer well clear.

So you'd have just left the Taliban in charge and allowed them to continue training ad infinitum then?

Or would you have just nuked Afghanistan to a glass wasteland?

(this is exactly what I mean by Obama probably not being able to sort things out tbh)

Given how instrumental Afghanistan was in the US plan to bankrupt the Soviet Union, I'd have tried the best I could to steer well clear.

So you'd have just left the Taliban in charge and allowed them to continue training ad infinitum then?

(this is exactly what I mean by Obama probably not being able to sort things out tbh)

Insofar as no one ever can? Agreed.

No problem Obama is a Muslim so he will be able to sort out the Taliban

mccain-vamp.jpg

I suspect he won't. ;)

It is written. He is here and on time. :lol:

Amongst other things it's the nuking that motivates evermore suicide bombers to give their lives.

The notion that wiping out afghanistan would bring an end to islamic extremism I find hard to go along with.

Also a slightly fewer towers were destroyed and slightly fewer people were killed. :D

(also are you saying Afghanistan should have been left how it was? :scratchchin:)

I seriously think we need to look at Pakistan, especially the border areas. One of the highest amount of 'madrassa' money from SA is going to Pakistan. The Govt is shaky and these actually do have nukes (mad mullahs in the wings).

Agreed.

After all war and tribal conflict is a way of life and money making.