Mirandinha

Guest Stevie

The latest edition of English-based Brazilian magazine Jungle Drums includes an interview with a former SJP favourite:

'We've got Mirandinha

He's not from Argentina

He's from Brazil

And f***ing brill'

On the other end of the line, Mirandinha chuckles as he tries to imitate a heavy Newcastle accent during a relaxed chat with Jungle, recalling one of the chants that Geordie fans used to sing to welcome him onto the pitch years ago in the North of England.

21 years ago, the ex-Palmeiras striker and member of the Brasilian squad made the history books by becoming the first Brasilian to play in the land that invented football. Mirandinha's adventures at Newcasle United only lasted for two seasons, but the Ceará-born player is sill a cult figure in the region that he learnt to love, despite all the difficulties he faced adapting to the cold and the almost complete lack of other Brasilians. A completely different experience to the one most Brasilians have on the streets of the UK today.

And on the pitch: in the Premier League alone there's a record number of 19 Brasilians playing for British teams during the 2008/9 season, including Robinho, the most expensive footballer to ever come to the UK.

Mirandinha, who's now 49, rose to fame in Brazil and the UK thanks to his goal-scoring prowess, which, while often criticised as being exagerratedly egotistical, didn't stop him from making the Brasil squad or scoring at Wembley during a Brasil-England match in 1987, which drew the attention of Newcastle United's managers. After hanging up his football boots in 1996, he's worked as a coach across the world, from the Brasilian Northeast to Malaysia. He's currently waiting for a new post as a coach whilst talent-spotting for English clubs, a job that could keep him pretty busy, judging by the number of transfers taking place recently.

As a pioneer of Brazilian football here in the UK, don't you think that it took a long time for more compatriots to make their way over here?

Coming to the UK isn't that simple for Brazilians. Apart from the language, the weather and a different style of playing, there's the problem of getting a work permit. But I recommend the UK to Brasilian players because of the fans, who really support their teams, and the professionalism of other players. And the Premier League has come on in leaps and bounds with the arrival of foreign players over the past few years. I think that Robinho's transfer will also attract more players who beforehand would have thought about trying their luck somehere else first, in Spain or maybe Italy.

Were you surprised when Robinho chose Manchester City over Chelsea?

Everybody thought that Robinho would wind up at Chelsea; Big Phil didn't make any secrets about the fact that he wanted him on the team. The fact that he chose Manchester City came as an unexpeced turn of events, but I don't agree with people who automatically suspect that he made a bad move. Manchester City may not have the same international reputation that Chelsea does, but it's far from being a minor club. Now, independently of the club, Robinho will always be under pressure to perform in the UK because of all the money that's been spent on transfering him and because of the prestige that comes from playing for Brasil.

Do you think that things will work out for him?

He's got a lot of potential, obviously. But he's spent a long time in Spain, and the Spanish play a completely different style of football to British clubs. The guys over here are rougher and the referee isn't always handing out free kicks and penalties. For example, I think that Robinho will have to change his style a bit, perhaps become a bit more objective, use less fancy footwork. Ronaldo did this at Manchester United and really came on a lot. And then there's a lot of adapting to do off the pitch, as well.

Perhaps that was one of the main problems for a certain someone who moved to Newcastle at the end of the `80s, wouldn't you say?

Man, it was as much of a culture shock as a sporting one. I won't even go into how cold it was or how odd I found the food; the worst thing was that there were practically no Brasilians anywhere to be found. But at the end of the day, it was a really fantastic experience. I learnt a language that has helped me get coaching jobs abroad, I made friends who I still keep in contact with and I came across some of the most faithful supporters that I've ever seen in my life. For Geordies, Newcastle United is a religion. The fans of the other clubs in the league just did not compare, Manchester United and Tottenham had more money, and Everton and Liverpool the success, but no one could touch the fans at St James' Park. Even now I come across crazy fans wanting to take a picture with me. I couldn't even get away from them in Malaysia! (Laughs), but I really do have a soft spot for that club and one of the biggest regrets of my career was deciding to stay in Brasil in 1989, when Newcastle loaned me to Palmeiras.

British fans love coming up with chants for specific footballers. Did you have one?

I don't remember the melody, but the lyrics were ''We've got Mirandinha, he's not from Argentina. He's from Brazil and he is f****ng brill'' (laughs). But I also have fond memories of rival supporters. Once, all the Liverpool fans started cheering for me at their homeground (Anfield), even after I'd scored a winning goal against them during penalties at the end of the second half of the match. To be honest, I get a lot more love from British fans than Brasilian ones. Sometimes Brasilians have a very short memory. A few years ago I went to watch a Newcastle match and I was really moved when I saw that a reception had been put on for former players, who got to step out onto the pitch and everything. When's that going to happen in Brazil?

Funnily enough, the film "Goal" features a Latin American player who goes to Newcastle and turns his nose up at a full English breakfast. Did you try out the black pudding? (Laughs).

I gave it my best shot, but it's not my favourite dish. I really liked roast lamb with yorkshire pudding (laughs). Especially when it got cold.

The character in the film was subjected to some rough tackles. What about yourself?

I can only remember losing my head once, during a game at Portsmouth when I was elbowed in the face and got my own back by thumping the other player and splitting open his eyebrow. At that time there weren't so many cameras on the pitch, so I didn't get sent off. I didn't get my head kicked in either because there were some pretty hefty guys playing on my team...

Is it true that you're looking to get your son playing on a British team?

Hernandes needs to get his Italian passport first, but he's spent some time at Portsmouth with my friend Harry Redknapp and he's also gone for some tests at West Ham. My dream is that he'll play for Newcastle, just like his old man, and that he'll help the club return to its former glory. I was saddened by Kevin Keegan's departure from the club; he's a coach who made a name for himself as a Newcastle player and he seems to me to be the right man for the team.

One of my childhood favourites, much better than he was ever given credit for, but he would've been top draw if he passed the ball more than once a season. His shot against Liverpool that hit the angle from 45 yards would've been the best goal I ever saw.

It was exciting to have him at the time - a good player in a shit team and he did provide happy memories - especially the Kop winner which is one of my fave football moments ever.

Him and Gazza used to shout and bawl at each other all the time, the toon needed three balls really in games, one for Dina, one for Gazza, and one for the rest of the team.

He used to live in Bedlington apparently, going up there is a culture shock for me never mind him.

I can only remember losing my head once, during a game at Portsmouth when I was elbowed in the face and got my own back by thumping the other player and splitting open his eyebrow. At that time there weren't so many cameras on the pitch, so I didn't get sent off. I didn't get my head kicked in either because there were some pretty hefty guys playing on my team...

Oh aye... what about when he punted Dave Beasant up the arse at the end of the cup defeat to Wimbledon - funny as fuck actually :lol:

It was exciting to have him at the time - a good player in a shit team and he did provide happy memories - especially the Kop winner which is one of my fave football moments ever.

The goal he scored at SJP against Everton (bullet header from around the penalty spot at the Gallowgate end) was probably one of the best goals I saw around that time.

Oh aye... what about when he punted Dave Beasant up the arse at the end of the cup defeat to Wimbledon - funny as fuck actually :lol:

The goal he scored at SJP against Everton (bullet header from around the penalty spot at the Gallowgate end) was probably one of the best goals I saw around that time.

Aye I remember that game I was on a barrier right in front of it, he scored after 10 seconds as well and it git disallowed for no reason at all.

What I remember most is Everton were champions at the time, and their away support couldnt sell out a tiny corner of the Leazes nearest the now Milburn, you remember things like that when you're young and I've always considered them to be a club punching above their weight throughout the generations.

Aye I remember that game I was on a barrier right in front of it, he scored after 10 seconds as well and it git disallowed for no reason at all.

What I remember most is Everton were champions at the time, and their away support couldnt sell out a tiny corner of the Leazes nearest the now Milburn, you remember things like that when you're young and I've always considered them to be a club punching above their weight throughout the generations.

I was in the Milburn paddocks that day, right in front of where that dirty little shite Adrian Heath was sent off...

I remember the ball being in the net within a minute, but can't actually remember what the goal was like! Memorable season that one, him mentioning the Portsmouth away game reminded me of the rugby scrum that took place in the home fixture in front of the Gallowgate. Peter Jackson and Kevin Dillon given their marching orders IIRC.

I was in the Milburn paddocks that day, right in front of where that dirty little shite Adrian Heath was sent off...

I remember the ball being in the net within a minute, but can't actually remember what the goal was like! Memorable season that one, him mentioning the Portsmouth away game reminded me of the rugby scrum that took place in the home fixture in front of the Gallowgate. Peter Jackson and Kevin Dillon given their marching orders IIRC.

Aye that's right, some Pompey tosser had a rattle, and rattled it all game. Dina's goal against the BD was a shoulder charge and toe punt in to the net, but was disallowed for a push when there was no push.

For one of his goals Gazza played pretty much the greatest pass I've ever seen any NUFC player deliver.

Blackpool?

alleged true story [from a good source] is that after a game in the club bar, Mirandhina was enjoying some drink and asked Gazza what it was called.

Gazza said it was called a gobble. So Mirandhina went up to the girl serving at the bar and asked for a gobble.

For one of his goals Gazza played pretty much the greatest pass I've ever seen any NUFC player deliver.

Blackpool?

alleged true story [from a good source] is that after a game in the club bar, Mirandhina was enjoying some drink and asked Gazza what it was called.

Gazza said it was called a gobble. So Mirandhina went up to the girl serving at the bar and asked for a gobble.

:lol: Sounds exactly like something Gazza would do like.

His goading of the Kop was magic. Along with the times he used to sub himself cos he was fucked, much to the amusement of Jim Smith who's face would go so red he looked like he was ready to explode and take the ground with him.

Blackpool?

Nah it was Brian Tinnion who played that one in to Gascoigne. Awesome ball.

I'm guessing he's talking about the Southampton game - cheeky little chip over the back line, Mirandinha ran round the back, volleyed it and it hit both posts before being hacked clear. Crossed the line though.

His goading of the Kop was magic. Along with the times he used to sub himself cos he was fucked, much to the amusement of Jim Smith who's face would go so red he looked like he was ready to explode and take the ground with him.

I was sitting in the East Stand paddock for most of Jim Smith's tenure and we used to have a straw poll each match on how many minutes it'd be before we saw him have a fucking fit and turn red with rage. Clearly visable from the other side of the pitch - he must have been a fucking nightmare in the dressing room! :lol:

• 4 months later...
English football’s first Brazilian, Mirandinha came to Newcastle 22 years ago – and has now revealed that the Magpies tried to re-sign him not once, but twice.

Speaking exclusively to FourFourTwo, Mirandinha says that Kevin Keegan tried to tempt him back to Tyneside during his first spell as Magpies manager – and that Bobby Robson offered him a coaching job.

Turning up in Toon two decades before Robinho’s high-profile move to Manchester, Mirandinha cost Newcastle £575,000 – and repaid them with goals against Liverpool and Manchester United.

“When I look back at my career, Newcastle was my best experience,” the Brazilian reveals in this month’s FourFourTwo – a special South America issue.

“The fans even created a song for me: ‘We’ve got Mirandinha, he’s not from Argentina, he’s from Brazil, he’s f*cking brill’!”

Sadly for Mirandinha, new boss Jim Smith wasn’t quite so enamoured and sent him back to Brazil – but a change of guard brought a change of heart.

“When Sir John Hall took over and brought in Kevin Keegan, I had the opportunity to return,” he reveals. “And then I made the biggest mistake of my life: I chose to stay in Brazil. How I regret that decision…”

Since then, Mirandinha has coached all over the world – but he knows where he’d like to end up.

“I have coached teams in Saudi Arabia and Malaysia, but my dream is to return to Newcastle.

“When Bobby Robson was there, we almost closed a deal – I was going to be one of the youth team coaches.

“I have a good relationship with Dennis Wise, so I’m working as a scout for Newcastle. I’m confident that in the future we’ll work something out.

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/26067/default.aspx

Kinnears replacement.

Nailed on.

Ketsbaia/Mirandinha lunatic dream pairing - sounds good - get Tino back for a trio.

can just imagine those three patrolling the technical area

Tino sniffing the lines, Ketsbaia kicking the shite out of the advertising boards, and Mirandinha looking the wrong way?

Ketsbaia/Mirandinha lunatic dream pairing - sounds good - get Tino back for a trio.

can just imagine those three patrolling the technical area

862266~The-Three-Stooges-Posters.jpg

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...