Radcliffe

wykikitoon

Because there isnt a $4m prize fund?!

Radcliffe Wins NY Marathon - From BBC Webby

Radcliffe romps to New York win

Radcliffe won the New York title for the third time

Defending champion Paula Radcliffe stormed to victory in the New York Marathon ahead of Ludmila Petrova and Kara Goucher of the United States.

She became the second woman to win the race three times, but unlike her 2004 and 2007 wins this was by a big margin.

Radcliffe finished in two hours, 23 minutes, 56 seconds, nearly two minutes ahead of the 40-year-old Petrova.

The Russian became the oldest woman to finish in the top two since Britain's Priscilla Welch, 42, won in 1987.

Goucher, making her marathon debut, become the first American on the podium since Anne Marie Letko was third in 1994.

Petrova, who won the race in 2000, clocked a time of 2:25:43, just ahead of Goucher (2:25:53).

Radcliffe's success came after a year marred by injury which prevented her from preparing properly for the Beijing Olympics.

It does make it frustrating because you think, 'Why can I get it right all the time in New York and I can't get it right at the Olympics?'

Paula Radcliffe

In 2004, her victory over Susan Chepkemei in a close finish came nine weeks after her failure to finish the Olympic marathon in Athens.

And last year's equally hard-fought win over Gete Wami marked her return to racing following the birth of her first child Isla 10 months earlier.

"It was tough out there because of the wind - everybody wanted to run behind me," said the 34-year-old after her latest triumph.

"This year I was determined to feel comfortable at the halfway point. The last two times it's been a really close finish, so it was nice to make it a little easier on my husband (Gary Lough).

"I definitely think I could have run a course record on a calm day but the conditions are what they are on the day and you can't go guessing what times might have been.

SpurredOn75

"The most important thing for me was to come here and win the race but I do believe women should be able to run under 2:20 on this course. We definitely threw a minute away in the first mile."

Radcliffe has only ever run 10 marathons, winning eight of them. Her only failures have come in the last two Olympics.

She added: "It does make it frustrating because you think, 'Why can I get it right all the time in New York and I can't get it right there?' But sometimes you have to take what life gives you."

Britain's Hayley Haining finished 12th in 2:35:11, just under four seconds ahead of compatriot Lucy Macalister (2:39:25).

Brazil's Marilson Gomes dos Santos won the men's race, with Abderrahim Goumri of Morocco second, followed by Kenyan Daniel Rono.

Dos Santos fell off Goumri's pace in the 20th mile but surged ahead in Central Park to win in an unofficial time of 2:06:43, with Goumri runner-up for the second year in a row in 2:07:08.

As has been said before, the long-term monetary boost to her profile, sponsorship prospects etc. as an Olympic champion would easily rival a one-off payment of a few million quid as far as incentives go.

what can I add? :D :D :D :D

The woman just goes out and proves me right........................

Gold Bars or Gold Medal ?? Easy choice for the People's Paula - plus she got a free ticket to Beijing at our expense

no doubt by the time of London 2012 she'll be living in New Zealand

Edited by Rob W

Gold Bars or Gold Medal ?? Easy choice for the People's Paula - plus she got a free ticket to Beijing at our expense

Legend

I can never ever disagree with you regarding this matter Rob!

God help her if she's living in London. :panic:

I reckon the Olympics always clashes with rag week.

I had to stick a tube up someone's bum yesterday and have them fart in my face, but this has really put me off my breakfast. :D

You don't have to be that close. :D (unless you want to be)

I had to stick a tube up someone's bum yesterday and have them fart in my face, but this has really put me off my breakfast. :D

I trust you had a cigarette lighter ready at the end of the tube? :D

You do have to be fairly close for a rigid sigmoidoscopy & proctoscopy tbh. But of course, Fop knows better. :D

You do have to be fairly close for a rigid sigmoidoscopy & proctoscopy tbh. But of course, Fop knows better. :D

But your nose was touching the anus, I was surprised you got the buttock cheeks far enough apart tbh. :D

what can I add? :(;):(:D

Legend

I actually feel sad at being proved right - much the same as the cycling drug fiends - you really want them to be nice, and good and honest but ...... it never works out

what can I add? ;):(:D :D

Legend

I actually feel sad at being proved right - much the same as the cycling drug fiends - you really want them to be nice, and good and honest but ...... it never works out

Really? Because imo despite not being proven to be correct you're still smug as fuck about thinking you have been. :(

what can I add? :(:D :D :icon_lol:

Legend

Really? Because imo despite not being proven to be correct you're still smug as fuck about thinking you have been. ;)

Lot of it going around. :(

what can I add? :(:D :D :icon_lol:

Legend

Really? Because imo despite not being proven to be correct you're still smug as fuck about thinking you have been. ;)

Lot of it going around. :(

It's contagious. No known cure or vaccine either.