Redknapp sniffing around Given

Jimbo

Harry Redknapp's new regime at Tottenham appears to have begun with his pursuit of Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given.

The Newcastle goalkeeper is unhappy at the constant turmoil on Tyneside and is ready to make a move when the transfer window opens.

Toon owner Mike Ashley wants to cash in on his top stars before he sells the club and knows Given is one of the club's most highly prized assets.

And new Spurs boss Redknapp has confirmed he would be interested in the Republic of Ireland goalkeeper if he becomes available.

Redknapp said: 'Shay Given is a great goalkeeper who I admire. Any manager would have to be interested in him if he became available.'

Sources close to Given - who would command a £7 million fee - insist he is ready to leave Tyneside in the New Year in an attempt to join a successful club.

A close friend of Given said: 'Shay has always stated he is happy at Newcastle but the simple fact of the matter is he wants to win things.

Although it will hurt him to do so, he is ready to leave Newcastle to achieve that.

'And he would be more than happy to go to a club like Tottenham where the club's potential under Harr is clearly enormous.'

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harry Redknapp's new regime at Tottenham appears to have begun with his pursuit of Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given.

The Newcastle goalkeeper is unhappy at the constant turmoil on Tyneside and is ready to make a move when the transfer window opens.

Toon owner Mike Ashley wants to cash in on his top stars before he sells the club and knows Given is one of the club's most highly prized assets.

And new Spurs boss Redknapp has confirmed he would be interested in the Republic of Ireland goalkeeper if he becomes available.

Redknapp said: 'Shay Given is a great goalkeeper who I admire. Any manager would have to be interested in him if he became available.'

Sources close to Given - who would command a £7 million fee - insist he is ready to leave Tyneside in the New Year in an attempt to join a successful club.

A close friend of Given said: 'Shay has always stated he is happy at Newcastle but the simple fact of the matter is he wants to win things.

Although it will hurt him to do so, he is ready to leave Newcastle to achieve that.

'And he would be more than happy to go to a club like Tottenham where the club's potential under Harr is clearly enormous.'

Brilliant. A better wind up than I can ever manage.

The question is, is he any better than what we have?

That's what I was on about last night, Danny. Simply ridiculous.

That's what I was on about last night, Danny. Simply ridiculous.

Thats the press being mischievious with you not bigging us up. Gomes is percieved to be a flapper so they chose us to be the buying club.

A close friend of Given...ha ha WALOB.

At attempt to wind up both sets of fans.

Brilliant timing too, Given completes his 450th match taking Newcastle clear off bottom - Tottenham replacing us & Spurs fluke a couple of results and are full of deluded optimism.

Class :D

At attempt to wind up both sets of fans.

Brilliant timing too, Given completes his 450th match taking Newcastle clear off bottom - Tottenham replacing us & Spurs fluke a couple of results and are full of deluded optimism.

Class :D

They have already got a bite on here. You wont.

I'm not after a bite.

Your fans are full of deluded optimism.

Where as you are one win off bottom and heading for Europe:

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?showtopic=21651

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?showtopic=21671

:D

Edited by Danny B

"If he's better than what we already have"

:D:woosh::scratchchin:

Given is better than any keeper Spurs have fielded in the last decade and you're trying to compare him to that talentless Gomes?

At any rate, if Shay is really ready to leave there'll be bigger teams in for him.

The Telegraph bigging-up Seamus today:

Newcastle's Shay Given, 450 not out, worth weight in gold at St James’

By Rob Stewart

Last Updated: 8:30AM GMT 04 Nov 2008

Plans to erect statues of Newcastle icons Alan Shearer and Jackie Milburn at St James’ Park have been put on hold pending the Tyneside club’s sale but it seems only a matter of time before a sculpture of goalkeeper Shay Given starts taking shape.

The Republic of Ireland goalkeeper made his 450th appearance in a Newcastle shirt last night as he took another step towards breaking the club’s all-time appearance record, and it seems that only relegation will stop him from rewriting the history books and cementing his place in local folklore.

Newcastle could find it difficult to retain the services of a player who has regularly been linked with a big-money move to Arsenal. However, despite constituting what the Gunners and Tottenham could do with in the shape of reliability, Given has not been lured away from the North-East, which may be down to the bizarre perception he is a tad too small despite standing at 6ft 2in.

The club’s powers-that-be have rightly earned a reputation for squandering money in the transfer market, but the £1.5 million paid to Blackburn for Given, 32, has to represent the Sir John Hall regime’s shrewdest bit of business.

Given, who was brought to Tyneside by Kenny Dalglish in 1997, has served Newcastle with such distinction since then that the supporters have even forgiven him for playing for Sunderland on loan before leaving Ewood Park.

Last night it was business as usual for Given – who called for Aston Villa manager Martin O’Neill to be appointed as Newcastle manager following Graeme Souness’ sacking – as he kept the Ulsterman’s side at bay with a brilliant block to deny Ashley Young after his back-four disintegrated.

That was quintessential Newcastle. The lack of defensive cover has ensured that Given has always been busy and was even the case when Newcastle threatened to become top-four regulars.

Newcastle’s vice-captain is only the fourth player in the club’s history to break the 450-barrier and he is closing in on Frank Clark (457), Frank Hudspeth (472) and Jimmy Lawrence (496).

There was talk on BBC Radio Newcastle ahead of this game that Given could eventually make it to 600 games, and he clearly concurs.

“Playing 450 games for this club is something very special to me and I still believe I have a good few years of football left in me,” Given said.

Whether his future is at Newcastle remains to be seen but if the club do retain their membership of the Premier League this term, they will owe a huge debt to one of the safest pairs of hands in Europe.

Whatever happens, Given deserves to feature alongside the likes of Milburn and Shearer when their bronze sculptures see the light of day. The cost of the project – some £60,000 a piece – is holding things up, but Given deserves to be honoured because he has been worth his weight in gold to Newcastle.

I take back my recent comments stating we wouldnt get into europe this season or next.

Lets put it down to a small blip in the optimism lol

When i actually think about it, we do have a squad capable of achieving top six, albeit with a bit of look and some consitancy.

The whole grit and determination JFK has instilled into us can really be used to boost us up the league and going off a culmination of recent performaces we do have what it takes imo.

The gap isnt that big and a good run would see us propelled up the table. Even if we didnt qualify through the league, theres the inter-toto and of course qualification through the cups!!

Bring back the dellusion...ah hem i mean optimism!

Danny B if you notice in my post about getting into europe i mearly state its a possibility, its a possibility we could get relegated too but i choose to be optimistic...

Oh and see the sarcasm at the bottom, it was all a bit tongue in cheek!

Your clutching at straws i think...

Out of interest danny where do you think newcastle and spurs will finish this season?

I take back my recent comments stating we wouldnt get into europe this season or next.

When i actually think about it, we do have a squad capable of achieving top six, albeit with a bit of look and some consitancy.

The whole grit and determination JFK has instilled into us can really be used to boost us up the league and going off a culmination of recent performaces we do have what it takes imo.

The gap isnt that big and a good run would see us propelled up the table. Even if we didnt qualify through the league, theres the inter-toto and of course qualification through the cups!!

Danny B if you notice in my post about getting into europe i mearly state its a possibility, its a possibility we could get relegated too but i choose to be optimistic...

Out of interest danny where do you think newcastle and spurs will finish this season?

Mid table.

:woosh:

Mid table.

Bit ambitious really for a small club from london?

:scratchchin:

Mid table.

Bit ambitious really for a small club from london?

Oh and were going to retain the Carling cup and win the Uefa :woosh:

Tbf if Spurs (or several other teams) get playing to their potential, 6th place is up for grabs. Hilarious how they're still rock bottom though.